Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Should I pay $900/£690 to upgrade to business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

hi guys I have a flight to new york coming up from LHR in premium economy and returning on BA . The flight back is a W class fare so I can upgrade it for 12500 american airlines points which I already have so that's a no brainer.. But on the way out its a P class ticket the lady on the phone yesterday said it would only be 15000 to upgrade but now apparently it is 25000 points + $350 copay. The only way I can think to do this is pay $550 for the required miles and the $350 copay.

I flew this a few months ago and other than the horrendous service.. it was a god experience I'm wondering should I go for it or not.. and secondly if I do can anyone think of a better way than buying the miles. I have a lot of avios and amex reward points but these seem pretty useless for american.

Thanks guys!
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:10 pm

Is it worth 900 to you?
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS and bosman like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't . Premium Economy is a decent seat for the journey
JDiver, nancypants and 355F1 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

really not sure.. On the face of it its a lot of money but then again the same ticket in business is £6k/$8.5k. On the flip side I don't often get to travel TATL on my own and its a lot more to upgrade me and my girlfriend.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by footballfanatic
Is it worth 900 to you?
Would you pay for it?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I wouldn’t for $900. I’d rather spend it on food at my destination, or on a mileage run to another country another time. It’s a 6 hour flight. Think of it like spending $900 + another 12,500 to upgrade to business on an LAX to JFK flight, would you do that? And tbh, the service you get won’t be much different than being in PE. Maybe a few less eye rolls and sneers, but that’s about it.

I’ve done PE on a DFW-SCL RT (~8+ hours each way) and I was fine when I got there. It was mostly comfortable. I got about as much sleep as when I’m on a lay flat, which is zilch. If you’re taller like me, then don’t get the bulkhead though. It limits your ability to stretch your feet, which gets old after a while.
Thysk, morrisunc, BearX220 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by seigex; Feb 16, 2020 at 5:37 pm
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jay121
Would you pay for it?
No. JFK - LHR is a short short flight by TATL standards. PE is fine for it.

​​My entire trip to the UK from the states (that im on right now) cost half of the 900. I'd rather take more trips (granted I have lots of SWUs that help). For example, last year I chose to stay JFK-MAD in PE vs upgrading as I wanted to upgrade the trip to NRT instead etc.
nancypants and allset2travel like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Yea I think these responses are sensible.. sometimes I see the ability to upgrade and get over excited. I got really poor service last time on aa business and the food (minus the sundae which was amazing) what pretty awful by economy or /pe standard but the seat is so good! I'm not big on sleeping on planes anyway but theres something about a big seat in business that gets me excited.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by jay121
really not sure.. On the face of it its a lot of money but then again the same ticket in business is £6k/$8.5k. On the flip side I don't often get to travel TATL on my own and its a lot more to upgrade me and my girlfriend.
Save the money this time so that you can upgrade her and you next time - it will be more enjoyable!
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:58 pm

If I understand your post, you can upgrade the JFK-LHR segment for 12,500 but it is way more miles for LHR-JFK? If that's the case, I'd stay in PE as it is a daytime flight. The overnight (assuming you are on an overnight from JFK) would be where business class is the better option.
PHL and FlyingEgghead like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair
If I understand your post, you can upgrade the JFK-LHR segment for 12,500 but it is way more miles for LHR-JFK? If that's the case, I'd stay in PE as it is a daytime flight. The overnight (assuming you are on an overnight from JFK) would be where business class is the better option.
other way around.. His return is on BA. BA only lets you upgrade to club world with AA miles if you are W. Since he's W, he can upgrade for 12,500. AA on the way there is miles+copay.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seigex
other way around.. His return is on BA. BA only lets you upgrade to world traveler with AA miles if you are W. Since he's W, he can upgrade for 12,500. AA on the way there is miles+copay.
Yep that's correct and seeing as I had some bonvoy miles which I was never going to use the return upgrade makes a lot of sense to me even if it is a 6 hour flight (or under 5 hours if we get the record breaking tailwind again but I hope not!)
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I think you're both right
FlyingEgghead likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:06 pm

What's your OW status btw? I got upgraded to J from PE on BA last year from LHR to DFW in layover in the lounge coming back from Bangalore after telling them no for an $800 upgrade (wasn't W class, so no AA miles upgrade option.) I am OW emerald.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

bronze (ruby) will be silver (saphire) after this trip. I've had some luck with upgrades in the past got upgraded to J with my girlfriend both ways to PUJ a few years ago but on such a premium heavy flight I think its very unlikely to get upgraded.. Also my understanding is American gives preferential treatment to their own members and ignores OW status for upgrades is that right? Also a guy at work was saying he has status on american and pays approx $350 to upgrade to J at the airport but he didn't really explain how and you definitely can't do this on BA..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.