Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation- Major collapse of AA coming in next year due to IT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation- Major collapse of AA coming in next year due to IT?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
nothing working

as of 13:20 PST today, I can get virtually nothing working on the aa.com website, at least when searching for award flights.
It would appear that the ITaapocaalypse has already happened.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
I flew 2 AA flights early Thursday morning. >72 hours later, no AA credit yet. Related?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I'm so glad they are looking for someone proficient in Visio. That's the skill that is a must-need in order to make sure the IT systems in an airline are working properly.
Flowcharts to troubleshoot so they can push it down the line.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Domain Driven Design: good
That tech stack: very little chance of anything good coming from that in a reasonable timeframe

I've looked at Delta's developer postings, and while I can't say I'm in love with Java, the rest of the stack is something that you have at least a decent chance of being able to get results with.

(That said, my preferred tech stack in general is basically like the one that powers Bonvoy and American Express)
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by dunno282
  • Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and ability to adapt to changing priorities and work environments.
  • Ability to thrive in a sense-of-urgency environment and leverage best practices
a.k.a this place is a .... show. deploying to prod is a nightmare every single time. lol
I at least saw some references to modern devops tooling in there like Ansible... though I've seen some really bad playbooks in my time.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:48 pm

I'm so glad they are looking for someone proficient in Visio. That's the skill that is a must-need in order to make sure the IT systems in an airline are working properly.
Not just Visio, but also looking for proficiency in VisiCalc.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl
Domain Driven Design: good
That tech stack: very little chance of anything good coming from that in a reasonable timeframe

I've looked at Delta's developer postings, and while I can't say I'm in love with Java, the rest of the stack is something that you have at least a decent chance of being able to get results with.

(That said, my preferred tech stack in general is basically like the one that powers Bonvoy and American Express)
Interesting. All these environments (AA,DL,AX,MR) are heavily dependent on the IBM zTPF mainframe operating system (e.g. operating system for Delta's Deltamatic system). Only AA has said they intend to divest themselves of zTPF.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
Originally Posted by _fx
AA is the only major airline (and possibly the only major consumer-facing business) in the world incapable of processing payments in real-time. That's right -- you can buy a ticket with an invalid CC or gift card, and AA won't figure it out for hours, sometimes even days.
Always found that interesting. When you book on any other airline, Including WN (who also has outdated IT) or even NK, F9, or G4 your ticket is immediately processed/paid for in real time. AA for whatever reason hasn't gotten there yet.
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
As someone who has worked in IT for 30 years, and is now a software, networking, and cyber security consultant, I love walking in to a company that has all of their IT systems organized and proper Vizio diagrams of them drawn out. It's a good skill to have and usually means they are knowable about their complex systems. Unfortunately, I am seeing it less and less these days.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Proper documentation of systems and workflows is absolutely a must-need to have things run smoothly at a corporation of this scale.
Antarius and seigex like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by hhdl
I at least saw some references to modern devops tooling in there like Ansible... though I've seen some really bad playbooks in my time.
We are considering multiple options for automation in our group, which supports mostly F5 devices and a much smaller group of Netscalers
Coincidentally, I was at an Ansible for F5 workshop in Dallas the week before last.
I suspect the AA IT issues are not going to go under and kill the airline. I have seen nothing at AA resembling the BA fiasco of May 2018.

Last edited by mvoight; Feb 10, 2020 at 10:14 am
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by adunker
Proper documentation of systems and workflows is absolutely a must-need to have things run smoothly at a corporation of this scale.
Which is why you hire tech writers.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I have another comment to the OP--How much of the IT that we actually interface with is actually hosted/managed by AA? Isn't Sabre entirely externally hosted and managed by Sabre Corporation.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by donotblink
I have another comment to the OP--How much of the IT that we actually interface with is actually hosted/managed by AA? Isn't Sabre entirely externally hosted and managed by Sabre Corporation.
All of it. AA created Sabre and while they were spun off and their own company now, AA still has their own version of the software.

​​​
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Antarius
All of it. AA created Sabre and while they were spun off and their own company now, AA still has their own version of the software.

​​​
But when they're a Sabre outage that effects multiple airlines/travel agencies, AA is effected. I assumed that Sabre was hosting AA's Sabre environment, but maybe that's not true?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.