Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD - SFO ... just demoralizing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I've got a few flights next week, first time on long haul AA domestic (other than RJs connecting to overseas flights) in almost a year. Booked in F and went through the meal selections: probably the worst catering I've ever experienced on a North American airline in the front cabin. Everything is a cold plate of some sort (salad, pasta, charcuterie), both lunch and dinner and these are 3-4 hour flights. My only salvation is being able to use the Flagship lounges at ORD and DFW before the flights so I can have some real food. After many years as an ExecPlat I have become a nothing with AA, preferring instead to hold BA ExecClub Gold/Emerald status for OW. On my transcons up here on AC in J, every lunch or dinner has three hot entrees (beef, chicken or fish, and a pasta). This is on every flight over 3-hours no matter what time it departs there's full catering (breakfasts are always hot eggs or pancakes of some sort, in addition to a cold meal). And nobody tries to sell me a credit card! AA has fallen so far from the Crandall years.

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mctaste
Taking off your shoes on a domestic flight is bad enough. But what kind of animal goes into a public restroom without shoes?!
Seriously. It's disgusting.

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
As someone who doesn't fly AA much - these all seem like valid complaints. It's good they announced no food so people could get food, but how is it normal to have a flight with no food, dirty bathrooms, and no IFE??
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Yet you still fly with them - there’s your clue.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:10 pm

Flew IAH-LAX last night in E+. I have no status with UA. Full flight with 18 or so 1k's including one on my (exit row). She was complaining to the FA (who was embarrassed and agreed with her) that half the food for purchase and all the good stuff (burger, tapas box etc.) was not available as they had barely loaded any on the plane and it had ran out a few rows earlier. Also the FA commented that they were down from 3 to 2 FAs for 150 economy passengers. Fortunately no CC announcements and I didn't check out the lavs but I did feel for that 1k who basically got nothing (maybe just the exit row) for her loyalty and she couldn't even spend money on food! So my impression from that flight was that UA cares just as much about their loyal customers. Old tatty interior with Direct TV on a tiny screen also.

NK gets bashed a lot here but give me a big front seat, guaranteed overhead space, a clean quiet plane (with better reliability than AA) and Freebird for when things go wrong and it's almost a no brainer and for a fraction of the price.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Demoralizing?

That OP is a list of minor annoyances.

I'm currently on my 8th hour sitting at MIA today, having just gotten off my second broken airplane for the day.

That's a bad day. Not what the OP is talking about.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
Demoralizing?

That OP is a list of minor annoyances.

I'm currently on my 8th hour sitting at MIA today, having just gotten off my second broken airplane for the day.

That's a bad day. Not what the OP is talking about.
So your goalposts have moved.
GaryZ likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davie355
So your goalposts have moved.
What??? I hadn't said anything previously in this thread. My "goalposts" absolutely have not moved
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Flying AA domestic F is usually just a mildly tolerable experience, but I can’t justify connecting on another airline and adding more time to my commute (DL would be my choice mainly for better ops and reliability).

And I agree, a bad attitude only amplifies AA’s faults. This goes for passengers AND employees alike.

Right now I’m watching a FA on her own phone instead of offering PDBs before pushback. Behavior like this makes the mediocre experience worse.

Contrast that with FA in domestic F earlier this week who from the moment I boarded demonstrated he cared. Always greeted passengers by name. I passed on all food and drink. After the meal service he proactively asked me if I had changed my mind and wanted something. That made the flight and experience so much better, and all I did was sleep.

I think if AA had better management they’d have happier employees more willing to show they care.

Still hoping (dreaming, more like it) that Delta launches MCO-Dallas
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Aren't there supposed to be shelf stable snack boxes on flights over a certain length regardless of time of day?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:49 pm

I wouldnt get upset about domestic F food options either. It is all pretty much trash you wouldnt settle for anywhere on the ground.

They should just hand out MREs!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:52 pm

Taking off your shoes on a domestic flight is bad enough.
Any domestic flight, even a redeye (overnight transcon)? I think it's healthier to let the feet decompress, while resting/sleeping with socks on and in one's seat (not the lav), rather than go from day through night to the next day with shoes on continuously.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Any domestic flight, even a redeye (overnight transcon)? I think it's healthier to let the feet decompress, while resting/sleeping with socks on and in one's seat (not the lav), rather than go from day through night to the next day with shoes on continuously.
the rest of the cabin appreciates the smell and sight of your feet
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Taking off your shoes on a domestic flight is bad enough. But what kind of animal goes into a public restroom without shoes?!
I would never visit a lav without shoes on, that’s positively disgusting. With that said, I will take off my shoes after takeoff and place my feet on my bag to use as a foot rest. I don’t have any issue with people doing that so long as they keep their socks on and practice proper hygiene.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:21 pm

the rest of the cabin appreciates the smell and sight of your feet
Tough $#!t

It’s really quite liberating when you don’t care what the rest of the cabin “appreciates.”
aamilesslave likes this.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Jan 24, 2020 at 7:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.