Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are the newest aircraft that AA is currently taking delivery of?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the newest aircraft that AA is currently taking delivery of?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HiAperture
Are the new 788's being equipped with the Zodiac seats or are they being fit with Super Diamond?
Pretty sure they are going to be Super Diamond. The contract for “Concept D” seats was cancelled during the retrofit for 772s. They finished those off with the Super Diamond. Zodiac/Safran wouldn’t have produced any of those seats in substantial volume in almost 4 years.

Also, the Super Diamond is almost an Off-The-Shelf design, is already certified for 787, and has very few complaints.

I don’t see why AA would go back to the “Concept D” for the new planes.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by Aero137
Pretty sure they are going to be Super Diamond. The contract for “Concept D” seats was cancelled during the retrofit for 772s. They finished those off with the Super Diamond. Zodiac/Safran wouldn’t have produced any of those seats in substantial volume in almost 4 years.

Also, the Super Diamond is almost an Off-The-Shelf design, is already certified for 787, and has very few complaints.

I don’t see why AA would go back to the “Concept D” for the new planes.
I just ask because up til now all 788 had the Concept D seats (which as you said were cancelled), and all 789s had the Super Diamond. It makes sense they would continue forward with the Super Diamond but I have never seen an official release about it.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I just ask because up til now all 788 had the Concept D seats (which as you said were cancelled), and all 789s had the Super Diamond. It makes sense they would continue forward with the Super Diamond but I have never seen an official release about it.
Yea I don’t recall seeing anything official or even in the blogs but I could have missed something.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
These new deliveries are a separate order than what’s been delivered so far. I don’t believe these were even options from the first order.

We will probably have to wait until the first ones are delivered to find out, unless they do a new config. With Delta One and Polaris now flying, AA’s seats are no longer superior. I don’t think a new seat will happen, but it’s possible.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The seat to be used in the second tranche of 788s has been discussed previously, and I’m pretty sure it was verified as the Rockwell Collins Super Diamond. Zodiac was unable to fulfill contractual obligations and iirc AA sued. The chance of the Concept D Business Suite being added to any AA aircraft, given 788s were sitting in the deserts awaiting seats and 772s were backlogged, makes it unlikely AA will go back to those even if Safran did take over Zodiac in 2018, IMO.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton
so the 788s are mostly ex PHL, got it.

And the A321s are for ...HA? Hawaii?

Thanks JoeyE for that extensive list.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Yea I don’t recall seeing anything official or even in the blogs but I could have missed something.
Originally Posted by Aero137
These new deliveries are a separate order than what’s been delivered so far. I don’t believe these were even options from the first order.

We will probably have to wait until the first ones are delivered to find out, unless they do a new config. With Delta One and Polaris now flying, AA’s seats are no longer superior. I don’t think a new seat will happen, but it’s possible.
Originally Posted by JDiver
The seat to be used in the second tranche of 788s has been discussed previously, and I’m pretty sure it was verified as the Rockwell Collins Super Diamond. Zodiac was unable to fulfill contractual obligations and iirc AA sued. The chance of the Concept D Business Suite being added to any AA aircraft, given 788s were sitting in the deserts awaiting seats and 772s were backlogged, makes it unlikely AA will go back to those even if Safran did take over Zodiac in 2018, IMO.
Well we have a semi-answer. AA told TPG that it will be an "enhanced" version of the Super Diamond seat. https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...87-dreamliner/
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Will be Super Diamond with working divider, no other notable enhancements (not to say this one isn’t a big one.)
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Will be Super Diamond with working divider, no other notable enhancements (not to say this one isn’t a big one.)
For me the biggest issue is the table does not store and provides for a very cramped sleeping position. In that respect the 788 current seats are superior. Abandoning the backwards seats and ditching the wobble will be bonuses though.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I've seen DFW-HND flights (when the route starts) using 77Ws. Since there isn't any increase in that fleet this year, anyone know where those are being pulled from in the system?
I thought HKG service.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I thought HKG service.
No, DFW-HND going 773 has been planned for many months, I forgot where these are coming from, but I posted it last year sometime when the question first came up. It's the NRT ones that have been suddenly subbed in from HKG, etc.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Does anybody know:

What's the delivery schedule for the new 788's?

Presumably they'll simply be intermixed with the existing, leading to a similar situation as with the 772's ("Which version will I have today?")?

-BP
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I've seen DFW-HND flights (when the route starts) using 77Ws. Since there isn't any increase in that fleet this year, anyone know where those are being pulled from in the system?
China? Or just seasonal readjusting. Last couple of weeks there's been a 772 running DFW-LAX-DFW instead of the usual 738/321. If I remember, this seems to happen during spring break in past years.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TSparky
China? Or just seasonal readjusting. Last couple of weeks there's been a 772 running DFW-LAX-DFW instead of the usual 738/321. If I remember, this seems to happen during spring break in past years.

No, not China, switch to 773 HND was conceived last fall:

NRT on the other hand, was very recent:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...2020-time.html

IIRC (and I probably don't) I -think- the HND 773s were coming from S.America (now possibly reversed/ less apparent due to the China situation.)

Last edited by JonNYC; Feb 24, 2020 at 8:33 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by JonNYC
IIRC (and I probably don't) I -think- the HND 773s were coming from S.America (now possibly reversed/ less apparent due to the China situation.)
The 77W for DFW-HND appears to be coming from MIA-EZE. One of the MIA-EZE flights is on 77W, but starting March 28 (just before DFW-HND starts) both MIA-EZE flights will be 772.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.