Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aa 997: Dfw-eze 12/24/2019 crew time out, next day no passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum

This is part-vent, and part me wondering what is the recommended course of action going forward.

My entire family (5 of us in total) booked a Christmas holiday to Patagonia. I arrived in EZE this morning from Miami and the other 4 were scheduled to depart DFW to EZE on AA997. After boarding last night, the captain made the announcement that one of the crew members was over hours and they could not leave until the next day (noon on 12/25). Why they went through the hassle of boarding the plane just to make that announcement is beyond me, but ok. Passengers were not allowed to retrieve bags from the plane as they would remain on-board until the next morning.

For some reason my family declined the get a hotel from AA (probably because the lines for help were so long) and paid to stay at the DFW Hampton Inn. They arrive the next day (12/25) to depart for EZE. Passengers board, the after pushing off the captain announces that one of the crew members cannot find their passport and they cannot leave. Passengers are currently just sitting there.

What are the chances they are able to depart tonight? If they do not arrive in EZE by tomorrow we miss our connecting flights and cannot arrive on time for our tour. Meanwhile I’m stuck in Buenos Aires on my own for now. Thankfully my parents purchased travel insurance in the event they decide its no longer worth it to travel based on the delay time. I feel awful for the other PAX……there is a whole group on board from China that will miss their Antarctica cruise for this. Some were telling my parents this trip is one year’s salary for them.

Do you guys think there is any chance they are able to leave DFW tonight and what recommendations would you give for us in the event we need to file a claim with our travel insurance company (which I have never had to do before).

Last edited by Voldoo; Dec 25, 2019 at 12:59 pm
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody had a crystal ball as to whether the plane will depart or not, but the travel insurance should also cover the costs to join the tour. One of the travelers should at least call the insurance company ASAP to notify them of the issues and get further instructions.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Well first off sorry to hear about such frustration trying to travel for vacation, never fun. I agree if travel insurance is involved, go ahead and call and find out what they require/advise to start a claim and it should go without saying but make sure they document and keep everything possible that proves the delay, expenses incurred, and anything booked that was pre-paid and not refundable like destination hotel stays. I have had to use my travel insurance before and thankfully they helped make the best of the speed bump in our trip, hope the same happens for your family.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
AA's flight status page is showing AA997 for Dec 24 currently in-flight, running about 17 hours late. Hope it works out for your family and for the other pax!
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The travel insurance should also pay for the hotel in DFW.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Looks like they got in the air somehow. Haven’t spoken to my family yet so I’ll get the story later but I’d be shocked if they were able to find another crew member so quickly.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Missing passport could have been found
Old Dec 25, 2019, 5:43 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
It's DFW, they should have crews on call

Originally Posted by Voldoo
Looks like they got in the air somehow. Haven’t spoken to my family yet so I’ll get the story later but I’d be shocked if they were able to find another crew member so quickly.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Stuff happens, but it sounds like the people from China decided to arrive on the day of their cruise, which is not a good thing, especially if the cost of the cruise was a year's wages.
The flight arrived just over 17 hours late, so hopefully all is well. OP should request reimbursement for the hotel etc
Old Dec 25, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Lehava
It's DFW, they should have crews on call
You would think that would have been in play with the timed out crew night before in DFW...
Old Dec 25, 2019, 7:53 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by seaskybound
You would think that would have been in play with the timed out crew night before in DFW...
Exactly.. But with AA industrial relations maybe reserve F/A refused to fly long-haul on Xmas Eve?
Old Dec 25, 2019, 7:55 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Guessing one person early in day is easier, sure by night most of the on calls have been utilized

Originally Posted by seaskybound
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Lehava
Guessing one person early in day is easier, sure by night most of the on calls have been utilized
Additionally, they have to be certified for that aircraft type
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The word is with the end of month approaching and high Christmas activity reserve was at the bottom of the barrel.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mvoight
Additionally, they have to be certified for that aircraft type
Aren't AA FAs required to be qualified on all mainline AA aircraft? OP says crew member but others here seem to think the problem was lack of a required FA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.