Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit for cancelling AA flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Credit for cancelling AA flight

I cancelled an AA flight as my travel plans changed and I no longer need to make the trip. When cancelling online I just got a notification the trip was cancelled, no change fee or anything else. It's not a refundable ticket but since I didn't even get the opportunity to pay the $200 change fee to use the value of the ticket toward another flight, I'm not clear on where that future value "lives". I tried calling AA but got unclear answers from the agents. I dont see anything in my AAdvantage account. What happens now if I want to book another AA flight using the credit of that flight toward it?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by CaptainKoloth2
I cancelled an AA flight as my travel plans changed and I no longer need to make the trip. When cancelling online I just got a notification the trip was cancelled, no change fee or anything else. It's not a refundable ticket but since I didn't even get the opportunity to pay the $200 change fee to use the value of the ticket toward another flight, I'm not clear on where that future value "lives". I tried calling AA but got unclear answers from the agents. I dont see anything in my AAdvantage account. What happens now if I want to book another AA flight using the credit of that flight toward it?
It is useful to keep your ticket number as that doesn't get reused. PNRs get reused.
So, in any case, you would call up AA, and they will apply the value to the future ticket
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by CaptainKoloth2
Make a note of your ticket numbers. When using the credit, the ticket number is used to find the value in the system.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Send a detailed message with your request and questions to Customer Relations using this contact form. I always do this for refunds as it's the easiest way to get a definite and written answer. It takes them up to 3 business days usually for them to get back to you, but it's worth doing it this way instead of calling in imo.

Any flight credit is usually sent out as an e-voucher to your email with a "gift card" type number and a security code/PIN. The credit expires after one year as far as I know. You may have mixed success with them being able to seperate or outright waive the change fee for you.

Make sure to add your ticket number(s), AAdvantage number(s), and flight number/info (doesn't hurt)... usually speeds up the process as well.

Last edited by goldtiger; Dec 24, 2019 at 8:50 pm Reason: added more info
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
If it's an unused ticket that was cancelled before departure, the value of the ticket may be used towards a future itinerary less the exchange fee. As others have noted, keep a copy of the receipt and/or ticket number handy. The ticket must be exchanged within one year of the original ticket issue date. The exchange fee is deducted (or charged) at the time of rebooking, not at the time of cancellation.

If the ticket was partially used, then it's a slightly different answer. However, based on the post, I'm assuming it's a wholly unused ticket.

Regardless, you won't get a voucher or gift card in this case. And, the exchange fee will not be waived. However, the phone reservation fee will be waived since you can't exchange a ticket like this online at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.