Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business class seats on LHR-PHX route, BA 777 vs. AA 777

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Could anybody give me an idea on how the business class seats/service compare on LHR -PHX route in summer 2020, BA vs. AA?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Eventually the BA new Club World seats (which are quite gorgeous) will make their way throughout the rest of the long-haul fleet, having started to make their appearance on routes such as JFK/LHR (not all frequencies) but until that happens the AA business seat is far better than the old-school BA "hop over me" seats.

Given that there are only a handful of BA's A350/B777 aircraft on select routes even offer it, I would go for the AA 777 for the sake of knowing that you'll get a very good seat.
JDiver, rossmacd and 355F1 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I think that for summer 2020, it was recently announced that BA is going back to the 747 for LHR-PHX and vv. when are you travelling?

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
AA's seats are better for sure (currently rare BA club world suites aside).

Plus a J departure from LHR on AA will go from Terminal 3, giving you access to far superior lounges than BA's in Terminal 5.

But: If this is a return flight, I'd choose the way back PHX-LHR based on schedule. On an eastbound TATL in J sleep is my priority. And unless the AA schedule changes, the AA flight departs too early in the day for me. AA's PHX-LHR departs around 3pm. I despite mid-afternoon departures to Europe - too early to sleep. The BA J seats aren't great - but I sleep in them fine.

YMMV.

Last edited by bse118; Dec 21, 2019 at 8:59 am
Old Dec 21, 2019, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Based on your input, I am leaning towards taking AA777 both ways: PHX-LHR and LHR-PHX. I agree that in both directions departure time is less than optimal. However, at least I can pick a good seat on AA when making my reservation, without paying additional fee. ( I have no status with Oneworld)

I flew BA747 many times in the recent past and never liked the seats, except for a couple of them upstairs. Also the lack of storage around some of the aisle seats really bugs me.

Maybe I should give AA777 a try this summer. Or I might just try them both, AA on PHX-LHR and BA back.

Thanks for your input!
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:46 pm

More important than seating if you have an IROP you have the BA flight as a backup PHX>LHR. You folks need to plan for IROPs if you are a true frequent flyer.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
BA flight is now a 787. Did not know it would revert to 747. The latter is an old bird, long in the tooth and subject to mechanical delays. I have found the AA flight to be much more reliable. The return flight on AA is much earlier, which I also like.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by smooth
Based on your input, I am leaning towards taking AA777 both ways: PHX-LHR and LHR-PHX. I agree that in both directions departure time is less than optimal. However, at least I can pick a good seat on AA when making my reservation, without paying additional fee. ( I have no status with Oneworld)

I flew BA747 many times in the recent past and never liked the seats, except for a couple of them upstairs. Also the lack of storage around some of the aisle seats really bugs me.

Maybe I should give AA777 a try this summer. Or I might just try them both, AA on PHX-LHR and BA back.

Thanks for your input!
If you're going to do that, I would vote AA on the overnight (more comfortable seat for sleeping) and BA on the way back where it's not as bothersome when you get crossed over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.