Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Normal for FA not to do safety demonstration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat

I always thought that FAs do the safety demonstration if there are no screens throughout the cabin, and they do in in both cabins in the case of the 738.

Was on an early morning flight out of JFK in first, just mindlessly playing on my phone while the safety demonstration was going on when I noticed there was no FA doing it for the first cabin. There was one right behind me doing it at the bulkhead for econ.

Just found it odd. Maybe something came up in front and the other FA was dealing with it.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I would say the percentage of passengers actually paying attention 0.0%
but remember sometimes the FA will move from the F cabin to coach during the safety briefing
seen that quite often ,this way they can cover both cabins
robertablake and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Bronze-soon to be Silver!
The FA figured you had paid enough already.
peaches070 and kcmd like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by peaches070
I always thought that FAs do the safety demonstration if there are no screens throughout the cabin, and they do in in both cabins in the case of the 738.

Was on an early morning flight out of JFK in first, just mindlessly playing on my phone while the safety demonstration was going on when I noticed there was no FA doing it for the first cabin. There was one right behind me doing it at the bulkhead for econ.

Just found it odd. Maybe something came up in front and the other FA was dealing with it.
It is required, by law, to be visible in all cabins....
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
IIRC, when there are 3 FAs and no screens, the FA performing in FC will go back to the front of coach to demonstrate seat-belts, oxygen masks, etc. One FA reads, one FA demonstrates to FC and the front of coach, and one FA demonstrates to the middle and back of coach. Admittedly, it's been a really long time since I sat behind the exit row on a 738.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
It is required, by law, to be visible in all cabins....
Technically, it's a violation of FAA regulations, if the FA was not visible in all cabins. In my 50+ years of flying, I have only seen them miss the demo twice.

Don't all of AA's 738 have more than 150 seats now? That required 4 FA's on the flight. There should be NO walking from F to Y on the 738's. There should be 3 FA's in the aisle during the demo: one F, on forward Y, one at overwing exits in Y.
kcmd likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
...just mindlessly playing on my phone while the safety demonstration was going on...
This sentence is likely to contain the answer you're searching for.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
Technically, it's a violation of FAA regulations, if the FA was not visible in all cabins. In my 50+ years of flying, I have only seen them miss the demo twice.

Don't all of AA's 738 have more than 150 seats now? That required 4 FA's on the flight. There should be NO walking from F to Y on the 738's. There should be 3 FA's in the aisle during the demo: one F, on forward Y, one at overwing exits in Y.
The seatmaps I have found seem to show at least 160, so yes, 4 FA's required
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by fotographer
I would say the percentage of passengers actually paying attention 0.0%
but remember sometimes the FA will move from the F cabin to coach during the safety briefing
seen that quite often ,this way they can cover both cabins
I make a point to pay attention when there is a real person doing the demo. We all have jobs to do, and I know I’m a lot happier when someone acknowledges my efforts.
ashill and lbbzman like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by golfmad
This sentence is likely to contain the answer you're searching for.
Happened to me a few weeks ago. No PDB, no briefing (at least in F, but didn’t hear one in Y), and no 10k announcement.. First announcement from FA was after the captain said we reached cruise,. which is when the first drink was offered.. She was playing on her phone the whole time.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
No, it's not. Think about the number of times you've seen or experienced this as a percentage of flights you've taken. Is it normal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.