Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any way to skip first flight without getting return flight canceled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any way to skip first flight without getting return flight canceled?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Rhino369
I screwed up booking a flight for my wife. Two mistakes. First, booking basic economy. Second, I screwed up AM and PM, and now my wife is getting to the destination 12 hours after she needs to be there. The return flight is still the right time.

I'm willing to buy a new one way since it was my mistake. But if my wife no-shows on the first flight, I assume that they will cancel her return flight. American won't let me cancel only half the itinerary. Any way around that (absurd) rule.
There are exceptions, but unless she does this through AA, her remaining flights will be dropped.
The official resolution would be to change the existing reservation and pay the change fee, and any fare increase
Did you look at the confirmation after the booking?
How long did it take to discover the error.
It is a good idea to check after booking to make sure everything is correct, as you have 24 hours to cancel after buying, in addition to generally having at least 24 hours to hold a reservation before booking

Last edited by mvoight; Nov 27, 2019 at 11:12 pm
Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Air New Zealand domestic flights are all on a oneway basis. There is no specific benefit to buying a return, other than having 2 flights on a single booking reference.

This means I can plan every journey on a specific fare basis: for example a cheap and non refundable outbound, but flexible and for the return. You can mix fares on a single PNR if that is a strong preference.

Oh, we have the metric system, mostly 24 hours time, and other cool things like a space launch facility
Old Nov 28, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MorganB
It has to do with fares. One way fares are much higher than round trip fares.
Not on all airlines, never on Southwest for example. And what OP is experiencing is why we in the WN forum recommend booking all one-ways normally.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Nov 28, 2019 at 4:24 am
Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Several years ago (around 2015-16) I asked AA this specific question, and they answered that the entire outbound can be cancelled without impacting the return. I can in no way vouch for whether this continues today, nor whether it applies to B fares,which did not exist then.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:37 am

If OP lets us know the itinerary and whether he has any miles/points he can expect help getting the cheapest possible solution.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
What rationale is there to cancel a return trip if the outgoing trip cannot be made? I'm not an expert in airline logistics, but it seems capricious.
First, no, the single one way price is not more the round trip in this circumstance. While that might happen in some extreme circumstances, that has to be a pretty special circumstance. Why would the airline routinely price a single one-way more than a round trip baring some extreme tax issues. And even if true (its not), the policy is still not justifiable since the reason seems to be they want to oddly price gouge some one way riders in some circumstances? That's not justification for canceling a flight I paid for.
The primary reason airlines cancel entire trips when a single leg is skipped has to do with "hidden city" ticketing.

Let's say I want to fly PHL-LAX-PHL and AA prices that at $400. However, AA is also selling a BOS-PHL-LAX-PHL-BOS ticket for $300 (and yes, these scenarios happen routinely). The same rule that is putting you in a bind prevents me from just buying the cheaper ticket out of BOS, skipping the first leg, and hopping on at PHL.

Also, in spite of your protestations, there are many routes where a one-way ticket is more than the cost of a round-trip ticket, so the same hidden city ticket prohibition typically prevents customers from purchasing a cheap round-trip ticket when they only need to fly one-way (granted, customers can still game the system if the pricing is right and they work out their origins and destinations correctly).
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The specific problem here is a combination of OP's choice of fare type and the requirement that the segments be flown in order. The other examples in this thread are irrelevant.

The ticket, at this point, cannot be changed. Period. This means that if the passenger does not fly the first segment, the return will be cancelled. The supposition that OP paid less than twice the OW fare is unsupported and what happened to someone else in some other situation is likewise irrelevant.

For the benefit of others, do not leap at separate bookings. Other than on a BE ticket, one pays one change fee to change a ticket, not a segment. Thus, on a fairly standard domestic discount fare, if one needs to change a trip by a week, one pays the $200 change fee. If on two separate one-ways, one has to change two tickets and two change fees totaling $400.

For OP, the problem lies not in the text of the contract, but in not having double-checked the e-ticket when it came through. He had 24 hours to cancel and rebook, but let that time pass. The debate as to whether one ought to read the contract is likewise irrelevant.
USFlyerUS and peaches070 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:21 am

Always check your tickets when you get them. Here the
OP needs to take his lumps and move on
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nrr
I've almost had the same issue OP noted: am vs pm. This issue should rarely happen if the US airlines used a 24 hour clock.
Fixed your post
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:32 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
If 2x OW (A-B & B-A) is the same (or less) than a RT ticket (A-B-A) then always book 2x OW
The only problem with this is that if something happens and you need to change, you'll have 2 change fees instead of one. Or if your original flight has a MX/WX issue and cannot get you there, the airline will refund the outbound. But you're still on the hook for change fees for the return for a city you couldn't get to.
chrisny2 and mia like this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, there are a number of pros and cons of booking two one-ways vs one round-trip, so there’s no “right” answer. The former gives you more flexibility on the outbound, while the latter can give you more flexibility on the return (eg, no repricing for changes to the return if original inventory available). The double-whammy change fee is an obvious downside of booing two one-ways, but I have heard of airlines (Delta) waiving one if you’re changing both tickets at the same time.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:47 pm

I screwed up booking a flight for my wife. Two mistakes. First, booking basic economy. Second, I screwed up AM and PM, and now my wife is getting to the destination 12 hours after she needs to be there. The return flight is still the right time.

Why the heck doesnt the US based airlines go with the 24 hour clock for flight times? Thatll eliminate those AM / PM issues.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by AndyAA
Why the heck doesnt the US based airlines go with the 24 hour clock for flight times? Thatll eliminate those AM / PM issues.
So many people don't understand that system. Someone who has a flight leaving at 1415 probably thinks that's 4:15 pm.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MorganB
Point taken concerning one ways . A one way DFW-LIT is 280$ while a round trip is 292$ A one way LHR-DFW is 1400$ while a one way is 2400$. So yes a domestic one way is less than a return fare but there is clearly a discount when booking a round trip.
It depends on the route. The lowest fares in some markets are the same if buying 2 one ways or a roundtrip
Were you looking at availability for specfic dates or the actual published fares (whether available or not for specific dates)?

Originally Posted by redtop43
Several years ago (around 2015-16) I asked AA this specific question, and they answered that the entire outbound can be cancelled without impacting the return. I can in no way vouch for whether this continues today, nor whether it applies to B fares,which did not exist then.
Even in 2015, it would depend on the fare rules for the specific fare purchased. It would make sense for an airline to publish their lowest one way fare as $1400, and to allow people to buy a $400 roundtrip and cancel the outbound.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 5, 2019 at 11:54 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by JumboJet
Always check your tickets when you get them. Here the
OP needs to take his lumps and move on
Couple of years ago I was rushing to finish a booking before midnight when a sale ended, I was tired as well and had been playing around for hours looking at flight options, routings and times to construct the ideal itinerary for price and schedule.

But in the rush to book I just chose the wrong return flight - a 10am instead of a 10pm departure for the TATL leg back home to the U.K. and when I got the email I just didnt notice the am because I just saw the numbers not the modifier.

it was a week later that I noticed and yes I kicked myself but equally I didnt blame anyone else either.

So now I double check everything before hitting pay then I check the booking in the app and also the the email.

in my case it cost me a day doing tourist stuff but at least I didnt just turn up at JFK for the 10pm flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.