Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When IROPS (“IRROPS”) works in your favor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Today I’m booked to fly DFW-MCI-PHL-AMS-LCY in saver J.

At MCI I was just getting ready to board when they announced a flight attendant called in sick so the now late scheduled mci-phl flight will get me in within 10 minutes of my ams flight.

I had the agent book me mci-ord-lhr. I got to shave off a leg, get in two hours earlier and be on a 789 vs the 763 dinosaur I was originally scheduled on.

Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by enviroian
Today I’m booked to fly DFW-MCI-PHL-AMS-LCY in saver J.
saving miles; wasting your life....

Personally, I would pay double miles for the DFW-LHR nonstop 777-300
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
The best is when your mileage flight gets canceled, and you get rebooked in full fare F. Which ends up making the whole trip free.
royng likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
The best is when your mileage flight gets canceled, and you get rebooked in full fare F. Which ends up making the whole trip free.
I didn’t know that.

I asked about J availability back at dfw. She said there is zero. The only flight with J available was the 46 she put me on.

Could I have asked them to put me on a BA J flight if there happened to be no J available anywhere on AA metal or would I be SOL.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I would pay double miles for the DFW-LHR nonstop 777-300
I wouldn’t.
MCI777, Taoyuan, Beltway2A and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
LOL, in another thread from last week I posted how I was told at PHL that even in IRROPS, policy says you're only eligible to be rebooked on the same routing, and that "First class and the like go out the window."

In practice though, yes, it can lead to better routings. The same is true of schedule changes.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:42 pm

<redacted>

My takeaway is that there's actually willing customers for these crazy itineraries that AA puts out in a crappy attempt to offer Saver J. I'm guessing this took at least 2 times longer that the direct flight or any one stop connection.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 25, 2019 at 12:39 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:09 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

IRROPS also works in your favor when something like I had tonight: I had an outbound scheduled for tonight, returning Tuesday on a separate ticket (I know, I shouldn't have bought a separate ticket, but I did). Stuff changed and I no longer planned to fly the outbound or return, but both were ~$200, so basically throw-away if I didn't use them. I never cancelled the tix, hoping something would go awry before departure. The first segment tonight delayed and I would have had a very tight connection in CLT. I called the ExPlat desk and they cancelled/refunded both my outbound and return without an issue since a misconnect was likely
donotblink, fotographer and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HGPilot
My takeaway is that there's actually willing customers for these crazy itineraries that AA puts out in a crappy attempt to offer Saver J. I'm guessing this took at least 2 times longer that the direct flight or any one stop connection.
My takeaway was in response to redtop's post about IRROPs. Regarding the overall thread, it depends. I'm currently mid-flight on LAS-LAX-IAH, which while roundabout, cost me 160 USD as opposed to 600 via DFW. Given I can work and get my stuff done anywhere I have wifi (and enjoy being on an airplane), I happily took the longer journey and saved myself a some $$$.

That said, I wouldn't take the OP's routing. Especially since the end result is scheduled to be on an AA 763.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
That said, I wouldn't take the OP's routing. Especially since the end result is scheduled to be on an AA 763.
That’s all that was available for saver J.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:35 pm

That’s all that was available for saver J.
Still a terrible life decision IMO but you can value your time for what it's worth DFW-LHR is booked at 9 hrs 5 minutes which is completely tolerable in Y. I'm willing to bet your itinerary was at least double that. Can you share?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
earlier this week, I flew SNA-ELP (via PHX) for a day trip. On my return, at PHX, we were told that the PHX-SNA flight (on a 321) was too heavy to land at SNA (wet runway, short runway, larger plane). Departure kept getting delayed, we were told they were looking for a smaller plane. Hearing this, I asked about rebooking to the following morning, I was tired, and just wanted sleep, as it was after 10 pm. Then then story was that they were taking the 321, but offloading 60 pax. I volunteered for the bump, which made me eligible to be rebooked the following morning. While I was rebooking, the story changed again, this time, they were taking the original 321, but to LAX, then bussing people back to SNA. They'd probably get back home well after midnight. I got rebooked the following noon, and was planning to get my own hotel (it's expensible as a business trip), but the agent offered the Sheraton (hotels weren't offered to anyone else), and I even got a food voucher.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

To cap off this great day of IRROPs the pilot just got on the horn of this 789 and announced this is his retirement flight.

^
Attached Images  
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
To cap off this great day of IRROPs the pilot just got on the horn of this 789 and announced this is his retirement flight.

^
Sometimes that means you won't get much sleep, hopefully his extended family are not all in J partying...

Last edited by nk15; Nov 24, 2019 at 9:40 pm
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I didn’t know that.

I asked about J availability back at dfw. She said there is zero. The only flight with J available was the 46 she put me on.

Could I have asked them to put me on a BA J flight if there happened to be no J available anywhere on AA metal or would I be SOL.
You should have insisted on re-booking you on the BA direct flight to LHR, in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.