Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA136 11 Nov 2019 and the (usual?) MX issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Hi All

Quick recap re/ AA136 LAX to LHR yesterday:

- delay at gate, no FO
- FO arrives 1,5 hrs late, replacement crew
- taxi to runway, stop halfway due to flight controls issue which was earlier fixed but came back
- standing on tarmac for 30min
- another taxi to remote hard stand for 30min
- MX fixed, 3 hours in
- plane needs to refuel
- all done, crew times out though
- left a/c after 4,5 hours, overnight stay

Just wondering, doesn’t look like that they’ve fixed their issues with the unions? Would that be an case for the tarmac comp as I was for 4,5hrs on the plane (I fly mostly in Europe so please excuse if a clear no).

Thanks all
D
-

Last edited by Duck1981; Nov 12, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Hi All

- delay at gate, no FO
- taxi to runway, stop halfway due to flight controls issue which was earlier fixed but came back
- MX fixed, 3 hours in
- plane needs to refuel

Just wondering, doesn’t look like that they’ve fixed their issues with the unions? Would that be an case for the tarmac comp as I was for 4,5hrs on the plane (I fly mostly in Europe so please excuse if a clear no).

Thanks all
D
-
There is a sub-forum for your question but no, it's a non-EU airline flying TO the EU so you would not be due any compensation under EU261 however you should have been provided with hotel and food vouchers.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:45 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by enpremiere
There is a sub-forum for your question but no, it's a non-EU airline flying TO the EU so you would not be due any compensation under EU261 however you should have been provided with hotel and food vouchers.
OP wasn't asking about EU261. So I'm not sure there is a sub-forum for the question. They were asking about tarmac delay rules in the U.S. I don't think the regulation requires any compensation to passengers. The airline may be fined but you won't get anything.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jackvogt
They were asking about tarmac delay rules in the U.S. I don't think the regulation requires any compensation to passengers. The airline may be fined but you won't get anything.
Which shows just how stupid the law is. If you believe that government should interfere in the operations of a business by fining them for shoddy service, why should that money go to the US Treasury as opposed to the actual victims of the airline's incompetence?
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:34 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by Herb687
Which shows just how stupid the law is. If you believe that government should interfere in the operations of a business by fining them for shoddy service, why should that money go to the US Treasury as opposed to the actual victims of the airline's incompetence?
Exactly. Makes no sense to me. A tarmac delay fine doesn't really hurt the airline BUT if they had to compensate the passengers you better believe things would change real quick.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:33 pm

Hi All

- delay at gate, no FO
- MX fixed, 3 hours in
- plane needs to refuel

Thanks all
D
-
OP wasn't asking about EU261. So I'm not sure there is a sub-forum for the question. They were asking about tarmac delay rules in the U.S. I don't think the regulation requires any compensation to passengers. The airline may be fined but you won't get anything.
EU261 is commonly known to Europeans and per the OP's reference about travel habits, it seemed a propos to touch on it.

While a similar framework doesn't exist in the US, that's as close to a sub-forum on FlyerTalk that would be a place to start: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1956110-questions-2019-about-guide-listing-compensation-master-thd-2.html
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:02 pm
Suspended

I think if the delay is over 3 hrs (maybe its 4) that is sitting away from the gate, that you are to given a snack and water

Writing into AA might score a few miles
enpremiere and Duck1981 like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
I think if the delay is over 3 hrs (maybe its 4) that is sitting away from the gate, that you are to given a snack and water

Ah thank you - now I now why they came around with water and a rather dry waffle

I have sent a few words to AA as I need to claim my hotel anyway....
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:58 pm

Snack = the small cookie
water = one cup to water

amazing for a three hour delay!
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:20 pm

Ah thank you - now I now why they came around with water and a rather dry waffle

The water is provided to moisten the dry waffle

You just have to work the little fella in the cup so that it's evening exposed to the water.
catawba and Duck1981 like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:34 pm
Suspended

A few yrs ago you wouldnt have even gotten that (water & waffle)

Didnt AA supply you with a voucher for the hotel? Its not something one is suppose to do on their own, as the carriers have special rates worked out so it costs them alot less, by doing it on your own (if theres no note in the record saying you were told to) could mean AA will push back on it
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:52 am
Original Poster

A few yrs ago you wouldnt have even gotten that (water & waffle)

Didnt AA supply you with a voucher for the hotel? Its not something one is suppose to do on their own, as the carriers have special rates worked out so it costs them alot less, by doing it on your own (if theres no note in the record saying you were told to) could mean AA will push back on it
Customer services told me to book something myself if I like to skip the queue, but they will only refund me based on their contractual rate of the related hotel (which is $159 max for the Marriott LAX as I was told after my last overnight cancellation). Given that, I've booked a lower rate (my company has good corporate rates). My travel insurance covered the difference last time (I thought I had a rate of $179).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.