Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAFlight 303 LAX-IAD someone mistook carry-on...any ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, United, SWA

My daughter's bag was accicentally taken by another woman. Neither have a luggage tag. We have contacted AA and local Dulles. Any ideas on how or what to do?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Without any identification on the bag, I believe all you can do is hope the error was noticed at the airport, or if later the taker was concerned enough to return to the airport, and turned it in to the airline or airport lost and found. A good description of the bag would be useful. Good luck.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anything in the bag with your daughter's contact information?

Without something, even if it is returned, there is nothing to be done but to keep contacting.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:21 pm

I’d suggest taking it back and filing a claim. Good chance the other person has done the same and your daughters bag is in the baggage claim office ?
laagima, JonNYC and JDiver like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd imagine that whomever took the bag would like their bag back, unless of course your daughter was traveling with gold bricks or large sums of currency . Even though there's not tags on either they should be able to figure it out as I cannot imagine there's many people on the same flight who mistook their carryons
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Something similar happened to me at security when a girl took my work laptop by accident because we both had MacBook Airs. Luckily I was so bored in line at security prior to this I noticed her flight number, her Platinum status and even seat number on her BP that I was able to get the Admirals Club to track her down and got my laptop back via FedEx. Crazy!
SK likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I understand this isn't helpful to the OP... but for all the people on FT who judge others for having multiple bag tags, this is why we do.
laagima, AANYC1981, wrp96 and 10 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
<redacted>

not in my experience of two misappropriated bags in 6 months. Since I’ve bulked up the number of tags, hadn’t happened. Doesn’t prove 12 tags will stop it but does prove one tag doesn’t.

if anything, I’m glad someone doesn’t like it. It means they’ve noticed it isn’t their bag.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 9, 2019 at 12:24 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
There's a nice device out there called Tile, which is a quasi-GPS tracker. Real GPS trackers are pricier and more importantly have very limited battery life. Tile connects to your phone by Bluetooth, and if you tap on your phone the appropriate tile will ring, if it's in Bluetooth range. It will also tell you the last time it "saw" the Tile, and most relevant to this incident, if anyone else with the Tile app on their phone comes within Bluetooth range of your Tile, it will update the location. So for example, suppose the person who took the wrong bag took an Uber and the driver had Tile on their phone, it would track the location to the dropoff point. I found this useful when I got on a flight, went to get my headphones, and they weren't there. Did I leave them in the hotel room? In the rental car? The tracker told me that they were in the Amex lounge, where I hadn't taken them out intentionally, but probably they slipped out of my bag while I was changing clothes in the restroom. I have one on my wallet, keys, TV remote, and both sets of headphones, and am going to add one to both my computer bag and carry-on. Also, if you press the button on a Tile, your phone will ring, so if you have your keys but can't find your phone, you can make your phone ring.

They're not overly pricey, around $15-20 each depending what model you get, and need an annual replacement battery which is about a buck.

They also make good gifts, since you can buy a multi-pack and give them out. It's not like each one in a set has any connection to the others. You can, say, give one to each family member to put on their keys.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You don't provide a great deal of information, but it should be obvious that, if it is carry-on luggage with no identification, the only thing you can hope for is that the person who took your daughter's bag contacts the airline or airport.
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
There's a nice device out there called Tile, which is a quasi-GPS tracker. Real GPS trackers are pricier and more importantly have very limited battery life. Tile connects to your phone by Bluetooth, and if you tap on your phone the appropriate tile will ring, if it's in Bluetooth range. It will also tell you the last time it "saw" the Tile, and most relevant to this incident, if anyone else with the Tile app on their phone comes within Bluetooth range of your Tile, it will update the location. So for example, suppose the person who took the wrong bag took an Uber and the driver had Tile on their phone, it would track the location to the dropoff point. I found this useful when I got on a flight, went to get my headphones, and they weren't there. Did I leave them in the hotel room? In the rental car? The tracker told me that they were in the Amex lounge, where I hadn't taken them out intentionally, but probably they slipped out of my bag while I was changing clothes in the restroom. I have one on my wallet, keys, TV remote, and both sets of headphones, and am going to add one to both my computer bag and carry-on. Also, if you press the button on a Tile, your phone will ring, so if you have your keys but can't find your phone, you can make your phone ring.

They're not overly pricey, around $15-20 each depending what model you get, and need an annual replacement battery which is about a buck.

They also make good gifts, since you can buy a multi-pack and give them out. It's not like each one in a set has any connection to the others. You can, say, give one to each family member to put on their keys.
For baggage I have a LugLoc, which is now I think owned by GeGo that I use on my dive trips where I check my gear bag because I want to know where that bag is at all times since its critical to my holiday and contains thousands of dollars of equipment. The price was reasonable with LugLoc as you bought "pings" but now I think its more of a subscription model and may be more expensive with GeGo. IMO these are better for checked baggage than Tile as it has both cellular and bluetooth, works anywhere there's a cell towner (2G/3G/LTE) and is designed specifically for airline use and turns off all radios in flight automatically when it loses cell signal allowing for a vey long battery life; mine has always had charge even after 20+ hours of flights with connections.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, United, SWA
Thank you all...

Thought there might have been some social media/blog where we could get the message out.we have contacted AA lost and Found, our a lost bag claim in and have a local baggage contact at IAD who we are checking with. The bag we have looks like the person may have used as overflow. No toiletries , some exercise clothes . They might not open it right away. The forum also gave us excellent ideas on tracking, tags etc. we really appreciate that. Thank you and hopefully we reunite with daughters bag.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You don't provide a great deal of information, but it should be obvious that, if it is carry-on luggage with no identification, the only thing you can hope for is that the person who took your daughter's bag contacts the airline or airport.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I will note that my giant garment bag once got lifted from a luggage carousel (in CDG) bearing a Flyertalk tag and the guy ended up sheepishly bringing it back around 15 minutes later.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Windycitywings
My daughter's bag was accicentally taken by another woman. Neither have a luggage tag. We have contacted AA and local Dulles. Any ideas on how or what to do?
It's funny what odd things can happen. A number of years ago I was on a US Airways flight from LGA-BOS. This was the old plane with no jacket storage. I always put my suit jacket folded in the overhead. Got off of a flight and grabbed my suitcase, briefcase and coat and left. In the parking garage my cell phone ran, it was baggage claim did I have the wrong keys. I reach in my jacket pocket and out come a set of BMW keys, I drive a Mercedes. I go to baggage claim and there is a guy waiting, he was an identical jacket. I mean totally identical; same color, same size, purchased at the same place with the same label. I now put anything of importance in my briefcase.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve, more than once, witnessed my bag being lifted off a carousel, by people who never looked at the numerous tags. I’ve literally chased all of them down. Hard to believe there are so many “mistakes” being made. BTW, I have a B&R Baseline Spinner in Green, not a common bag. I hope the OP’s daughter gets her bag back.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.