Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2020

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MathMusic
Looking at my rest of year travel, I may be 3 segments short of hitting PLT. Currently at 45 segments, 30K EQM and about 7k EQDs.

AA wants a buy-up of $1195 or 141k miles. No thanks, I will just fly an extra trip if I have to haha.
Why is AA asking for so many miles in your offer? Shouldn't it be 119,500 miles = $1195.00?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by enviroian
I never understood buying status. If you don't earn it from flying enough does it really matter to have it the few times you do?
I'm EXP this year, which means I get upgraded on almost every flight. I was Platinum Pro a year ago, and only upgraded on about 40% of my flights.

This year I will fly about 105 segments or 75,000 miles (on $30k in spend!). I'll check my offer, but for me, it's probably worth it to pay to get EXP level of upgrade status rather than platinum pro. This would probably translate into 50 more upgrades next year.
renila and Spanish like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Made Gold for the first time last year.

So far this year I have

$1,600 spend
13k miles
19 segments

My offer is $749/75k

I could make the needed segments with my travel for the rest of the year, but not the spend (or miles).

Don’t think I’ll take the offer, as my credit card gets me a free checked bag and I didn’t get much in the way of upgrades this year.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by enviroian
I never understood buying status. If you don't earn it from flying enough does it really matter to have it the few times you do?
I understand -

In today’s you can’t buy class, humanity, morals, or intelligence but you can buy status.

Sort of.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:45 pm

I am ~600 EQM short of Gold and my offer is $295 or equivalent mileage.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
Only see Ppro offer

Hi all. Currently p pro. Have 70k and $7k. Will hit the eqm for exp. never have been exp and dying for that level lol. Will have $9500 and over 100k miles by next month. Wondering did anyone receive a current p pro to exp offer? I think I will buy it but not sure if exp is only offered when you are already at that level.

thanks all.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by adunker
Currently EXP at:
EQD: $12.6k
EQM: 86k

Offer:
Keep EXP for $2,645 or 264.5K miles.

Already have the travel booked to push me into EXP, so I'll be passing on this.
I'm PPro but with very similar stats ($13.7K, 87K EQM) and my offer was $2,695. Like you, I have travel booked to go over.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by wireless_999
Hi all. Currently p pro. Have 70k and $7k. Will hit the eqm for exp. never have been exp and dying for that level lol. Will have $9500 and over 100k miles by next month. Wondering did anyone receive a current p pro to exp offer? I think I will buy it but not sure if exp is only offered when you are already at that level.

thanks all.
Yes, see post immediately below yours.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Looks like AA has opened up the portal to see what your options are for buying 2020 status as of this afternoon.

Looks like there's no flat rate but it's dependant on how many miles/segments/dollars you need to hit the next tier.

https://elite.aa.com/eliterenewal/purchase.cfm

Don't believe AA has ever had flat rates on these buy-up offers. DL did for a year or two back in 2012 or 2013 (before MQD's were a thing), but like AA, decided to price based on which level you were being boosted to rather than at a flat rate.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL, HH, Bonvoy
Data point: I'm currently Gold, $4,387 EQD and 27,935 EQM / 41 EQS (can you say short haul flights?), with booked travel through year end that will put me at about 5k EQD and 30k EQM. I've been Platinum once via status match a couple years ago but that's it.

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you're not eligible to receive an offer at this time.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:43 pm

I am $365 short of Gold, and the offer is $535.

Not going for this, because I have enough travel scheduled to get me almost to Platinum this month, but is it normal for the price to be more than the deficit?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Currently at $12k in spend and 62k EQM, will get to 67k EQM with travel already booked. Buy up to Plt Pro is $1,800. I could get the needed EQM with a one day $800 FC MR, and to get back to EXP I would do it. But PP vs plain ole Plt seems to be much muchness so i will pass on either option.

Any new business travel may still yet carry the day.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mauve
I am $365 short of Gold, and the offer is $535.

Not going for this, because I have enough travel scheduled to get me almost to Platinum this month, but is it normal for the price to be more than the deficit?
Are people willing to pay more for the convenience of not having to find appropriate tickets and take the flights?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I am about 5,000 EQM short of 100,000 for the year. I have travel booked for at least 20,000 miles. AA is offering me EP for $1445 or 144,500 miles.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are people willing to pay more for the convenience of not having to find appropriate tickets and take the flights?
Yup. Its priced for convenience.

Once you factor in taxes etc. Its only a markup of a 100 odd dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.