Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Secondhand] Outrageous threat and conduct by grumpy AA FA on ORD-BOS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

I have no personal connection to this story; I read about it on another discussion board. Excerpts, which I have edited for brevity:
Right before takeoff, the flight attendant, who was in a very grumpy mood, yelled at me to put my feet on the ground.

“You have to put your feet on the ground!”

“No I don’t but okay.” As I put my feet down. Emphasizing again. I complied and put my feet down the first and only time she asked. I put my feet down immediately.

She immediately escalated: “Would you like to go back to the gate? We’re gonna go back to the gate!” And immediately ran down the cabin to her crew members in the back.

But right after she said that, the captain announced that we were taking off.

She came back to my seat and barked: “Police will be waiting for you when we land in Boston.”

As we were about to land, the flight attendant handed me this slip of paper (pictured above)

“The police will contact you when you get home. You will be banned from future flights.”

“Ok.”

“Oh I hope so.” As she walked away.
This is ridiculous and the most charitable comment I have is I hope the FA gets mental health therapy.

Last edited by davie355; Nov 3, 2019 at 10:52 pm Reason: Trying to fix img
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Surprising that she would put anything in writing. Even the union may not be able to save her now.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
I don’t think it has to do with individual FA’s, is had to do with the horrid people in AA’s “talent acquisition” department who blindly hire without background checks and looking through their history/resume.

That being said, the FA’s on my flight earlier were great.
brc757rr and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Surprising that she would put anything in writing. Even the union may not be able to save her now.
The union will indeed save her and she will be a FA for years to come. I am a proud union member myself but TWU is a stain on this country.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:24 pm

Getting the popcorn out. This should be an interesting Sunday night read.
Daze and iadisgreat like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Idk, two sides to every story and all that. I just know that I may fly less than many on this forum, but way more than most of the public and have never witnessed anything like this. Even then, it seems to *always* be the FA's fault. 🤷.♂️

Hope the OP gets whatever satisfaction for which they are looking.
SJOGuy, TWA884, T8191 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
From the story "I use a small sling that hangs from the tray table (while closed) and props your feet higher"
I think this was the issue. It could possibly interfere with people exiting the aircraft. The rules are a bit stricter for takeoff and landing than they are mid flight.
Though the comments from the FA about the police coming to the house are a bit odd, there was a point in the passenger using the device during takeoff.
I imagine it is to help with DVT, but the passenger could have waited until the plane was a cruise before installing it.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: QF WP
I can’t see the picture even with my favourite quoting the post trick- OP are you able to re-post?
Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:23 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nancypants
I can’t see the picture even with my favourite quoting the post trick- OP are you able to re-post?
I looked at the OP's post and don't think I managed to fix it; however, I did post the link to the image by it's self, so worst case you can click on that to view the image.

/Moderator
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA
When editing for brevity it would be helpful to consider clarity and include the pertinent issue.

The redditor was using one of those leg hammocks that attach to the closed tray table:

“I use a small sling that hangs from the tray table (while closed) and props your feet higher. This sling is often advertised on Facebook for this exact purpose - to make flights more comfortable for us shorter passengers”

As it was advertised on Facebook it has to be legit

FA may have over reacted but Reddit poster may also have ahem edited the verbal exchange for umm brevity.
enviroian, wrp96 and nancypants like this.

Last edited by arttravel; Nov 4, 2019 at 8:15 am
Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the image troubles, folks. I've tried a different approach and hope that works.

Originally Posted by arttravel
When editing for brevity it would be helpful to consider clarity and include the pertinent issue.
The pertinent issue is the FA blew up, irrationally, unprofessionally, and inhumanely. I didn't include the part about the passenger being brought to tears, comforted by her seatmates who offered their contact information in case backup eyewitnesses are needed.

If a police officer notices you have a broken taillight but approaches you with a firearm in hand and a threat your drivers license will be revoked permanently, your taillight is no longer pertinent to the story.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by davie355
Sorry for the image troubles, folks. I've tried a different approach and hope that works.

The pertinent issue is the FA blew up, irrationally, unprofessionally, and inhumanely. I didn't include the part about the passenger being brought to tears, comforted by her seatmates who offered their contact information in case backup eyewitnesses are needed.

If a police officer notices you have a broken taillight but approaches you with a firearm in hand and a threat your drivers license will be revoked permanently, your taillight is no longer pertinent to the story.
We have no idea how much of this story is actually true, and we only have one side.
I am inclined to believe the passenger's comments didn't stop with a simple agreement to stop using the device, as soon as requested by the FA. I have a feeling they started arguing the point about how they had brought it on "hundreds of flights" before. I doubt a simple ask (by the FA) and agreement (by the PAX) would have caused the FA to not only give them the written warning, but also warn of police action upon landing. I am thinking there was more to the discussion
SJOGuy, T8191, bse118 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: QF WP
My personal take is that these stupid hammock things, cubes and bed boxes are right up there with the knee defender as “things that are advertised on [facebook/instagram/etc] as being a great idea and totally 100% allowed but actually not allowed in the vast majority of cases”; the fact that enforcement is not 100% effective and therefore people have “used them on hundreds of flights” etc etc doesn’t help anyone when they’re told no and suddenly it’s an argument with a “grumpy” (but usually correct) FA and a pax/pax (pl) that thinks they know the rules better
wrp96, Gullywhumper and AA100k like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davie355

There are lots of videos on YOUTUBE with this very theme.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I'll never understand the apparent satisfaction some people get from posting these secondhand and incomplete stories.

My guess: plenty of blame to go around both on the passenger and the FA.

But since none of us were there, can't see how this discussion is going to go anywhere useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.