Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA voluntary Business class training for FA's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me

Perhaps this is just another of the many reasons why AA J service is so hit or (mostly) miss.

https://viewfromthewing.com/american-airlines-offers-voluntary-business-class-service-training-to-flight-attendants-that-feel-like-it/

IMHO-Lack of training/standard practices in F and J is another indictment of AA "vision", or lack thereof. YMMV

SIDEBAR-I flew JL J NRT-DFW 2 weeks ago. Service impeccable. Food the best! My steak was worthy of a Dallas steakhouse. Turns out the FA who was the "chef" was sent to school to learn how to cook on the plane! Wow!

Last edited by Dallas49er; Oct 29, 2019 at 6:53 am
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: CK or bust
I thought this going to be about passengers voluntarily training themselves to moderate expectations when flying AA business cabins.

Or perhaps optional SVP-level and above training for AA on how to run an airline
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:53 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Yikes.

This is eye-opening, for sure.

What a crappy way to teach (or not to teach!) proper service such high-dollar clients.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
can I sign up to ...let say test all the different seats in F and J and give my honest reviews
(free of charge of course )
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
The fact that AA makes this stuff voluntary is ridiculous. Should be mandatory, imo. The FAs who need the training most are surely the ones who won’t attend.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The level of training almost perfectly matches the delivery on board so no surprises there.

Can't wait for next week's story... "AA voluntary landing training for pilots"

Swing by if you're bored and we'll train you on how to do your job. What a joke...
robertablake and Etheereal like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
The level of training almost perfectly matches the delivery on board so no surprises there.

Can't wait for next week's story... "AA voluntary landing training for pilots"

Swing by if you're bored and we'll train you on how to do your job. What a joke...
Did you really just equate learning how to be more obsequious to biz class passengers with learning how to fly a plane?

LOL
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Did you really just equate learning how to be more obsequious to biz class passengers with learning how to fly a plane?

LOL
Nope, they equated training that is part of your job description being optional.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by swingaling
The fact that AA makes this stuff voluntary is ridiculous. Should be mandatory, imo. The FAs who need the training most are surely the ones who won’t attend.
Yes, but internally it could be implied or officially mentioned that having this training could lead to higher priority to work these routes. It seems less a move to improve customer expense and more of a way to weed out internally.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Some of this stuff is common sense. You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to understand the paxs sitting in premium cabins are the ones generating the most revenue for your airline. Most paxs (and certainly me) could care less if the FA pours the wine "correctly." Items like providing PDBs, greeting the pax by name when taking drink/meal orders, passing through the F/J cabin from time to time asking if you'd like a refill, etc. is more attitude than aptitude. While I think the numbers are grossly inflated here on FT if a FA just wants to close the curtain and wall themselves off from paxs, particularly in premium cabins they need a different job not a training class.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Nope, they equated training that is part of your job description being optional.
No, they actually did. LOL
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
No, they actually did. LOL
It's called hyperbole. And it was being used to illustrate the absurdity of optional training.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
It's called hyperbole. And it was being used to illustrate the absurdity of optional training.
It was absurd all right.

But nothing about how this training would already differ from existing training. Nor anything about existing training doesn't cover the extra 'job descriptions' in Biz Class (are there any?).
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Some of this stuff is common sense. You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to understand the paxs sitting in premium cabins are the ones generating the most revenue for your airline. Most paxs (and certainly me) could care less if the FA pours the wine "correctly." Items like providing PDBs, greeting the pax by name when taking drink/meal orders, passing through the F/J cabin from time to time asking if you'd like a refill, etc. is more attitude than aptitude. While I think the numbers are grossly inflated here on FT if a FA just wants to close the curtain and wall themselves off from paxs, particularly in premium cabins they need a different job not a training class.
Highlighting is mine

IMHO-Well thought out, and well written.
jmj9905, trooper and jediwisdom like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

LOL
Yes. Each are essential functions of each job which should not be 'optional' in any way.
GetSetJetSet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.