Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award Booking Cancelled Online within 24 hours...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Hi

I booked and canceled within 24 hours but the points did not come back. I am pretty new to AA, my experience with Alaska Air is the points come right back.

I read from somebody online saying AA doesn’t refund points automatically? Can somebody with the correct information set the record straight?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:29 pm

AA doesn’t refund pointsmiles automatically. You have to call and pay a fee. However, you could have held the reservation for 5 days at no charge.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

are you serious ? I have to pay a free to get points back from a “Free Cancellation”? Anyone confirm this?

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
AA doesn’t refund pointsmiles automatically. You have to call and pay a fee. However, you could have held the reservation for 5 days at no charge.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by castcore
are you serious ? I have to pay a free to get points back from a “Free Cancellation”? Anyone confirm this?
I believe that the redeposit fee for the miles used does apply. You can keep the award and use it for a new booking and potentially avoid the fee
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

I cancelled within 24 hours, if this was cash, I would get all my money back right? that makes no sense!

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I believe that the redeposit fee for the miles used does apply. You can keep the award and use it for a new booking and potentially avoid the fee
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by castcore
I cancelled within 24 hours, if this was cash, I would get all my money back right? that makes no sense!
But you don't get the ability to hold a cash ticket for 5 days. Typically you are offered one or the other but not both.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jridge
But you don't get the ability to hold a cash ticket for 5 days. Typically you are offered one or the other but not both.
It doesn’t matter. On a paid ticket, even if you are offered a hold, you can still cancel without penalty for 24 hours after purchase.

AA’s website explicitly states the 24 hour refund policy applies to all ticket types. OP should just call.
fotographer likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
I would call AA since it happened to me earlier this year. Redeemed an one-way reward, and changed my mind 30 mins later since I wanted to go somewhere else completely different and cash price was better. Hit the cancel button, taxes were refunded the next day, but the reservation stayed under my account with “cancelled” status. Called AA almost 2 months later and asked for the miles to be deposited back. Got them re-deposited while I was still on the phone. In short...call.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think you should get your miles back without a fee. With AA it's not an automatic process so you need to call and explain the situation. Please update us on the outcome.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Same thing happened to me. Was explained by the agent that miles are not automatically re-deposited. Always call to get the miles back. You should not be charged if the cancellation is within 24 hours of booking.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
That is also my limited experience with awards and miles, also. When award cancelled or changed online then had to call to have miles redeposit or receive partial refund of mile. When cancellation or changes is done by calling AAgents then usually the AAgent on the phone will take care of mile redeposit or mile adjustment right there on the spot so no further action needed.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:57 am

Is there a special number to call pertaining to award changes, or routed through the normal reservations line? I need to make one of these today. Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Is there a special number to call pertaining to award changes, or routed through the normal reservations line? I need to make one of these today. Thanks.
Through the normal reservations line.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Fake news... do you have any real world experience or are you just guessing?!

Any ticket issued may be cancelled within 24 hours for no cost, even ones that have been held. For awards, the cancellation does not automatically result in miles being redeposited, but there will be no cost if you call in and ask for redeposit. Just remind them you cancelled w/in 24 hours.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by stephem
Fake news... do you have any real world experience or are you just guessing?!

Any ticket issued may be cancelled within 24 hours for no cost, even ones that have been held. For awards, the cancellation does not automatically result in miles being redeposited, but there will be no cost if you call in and ask for redeposit. Just remind them you cancelled w/in 24 hours.
The honorable Mr. Noble isn’t entirely incorrect - but neither are you entirely correct depending on the circumstances.

You’re right that you don’t pay on the 24 hour award cancellation but the caveat is that this online applies as long you book at least two days in advance of the flight. If you’re within that period then only CKs and EPs are saved and you will be assessed that redeposit cost even if within the 24 period.

PS: Dave Noble also has an incredible insight into some very real-world and often misunderstood issues pertaining to EC261, being somewhat of a resident expert in that area on Flyertalk.

PPS: I, on the other hand, typically have nothing insightful to add so I’m no JDiver, JonNYC, or Dave Noble myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.