Wiki Posts
Search

Best option for SWU use

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Best option for SWU use

I have 4 SWUs I have earned this year as ExPLT. I know I am not going to make ExPLT for next year, not too sure I will even make Platinum Pro. So I want to use them up. Two of them will be used (hopefully) to get to England, but I also want to try a long-haul overnight flight since in the past I have never been able to do those. I am thinking trans-pacific, but that is not a requirement.

I can be flexible on the destinations, so I am looking for the best value and the best chances at getting the upgrade (before the end of the year). I would love to find a good business fare on a 3 class 777 and upgrade to first.

Suggestions?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I have 4 SWUs I have earned this year as ExPLT. I know I am not going to make ExPLT for next year, not too sure I will even make Platinum Pro. So I want to use them up. Two of them will be used (hopefully) to get to England, but I also want to try a long-haul overnight flight since in the past I have never been able to do those. I am thinking trans-pacific, but that is not a requirement.

I can be flexible on the destinations, so I am looking for the best value and the best chances at getting the upgrade (before the end of the year). I would love to find a good business fare on a 3 class 777 and upgrade to first.

Suggestions?
You might also consider South America as GRU or EZE which both have a 77W on those routes via MIA and JFK. You're looking for A availability to clear instantly from business and you should be able to see this by logging into aa.com using your EP account. American tends to have more availability from business to first on the 77W for some routes where C space can be very hard to clear in advance.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Cloudship

Suggestions?
Last I looked there was lots of confirmable space to Europe in Oct and Nov if you can fly midweek. I was looking today for a trip in late October, and found C space on MIA-MXP, JFK-LHR, DFW-MAD, just to name a few.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:46 am

If you have any reason to go to China in the winter, I've had 100% success over the years with LAX and ORD to both PEK and PVG (Y>J).

Last edited by pmblinn; Oct 8, 2019 at 11:46 am Reason: clarity
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I burned one for EZE-LAX-HND. Starting on a Tuesday the flights are not very busy (no waitlist at gate).

Otherwise I agree, that now flights to HK and China are quite easy to clear midweek except those 788 operated flights
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by shd9
I burned one for EZE-LAX-HND.
I wouldn't really call that "burned" In my book, that is some pretty good value right there. ^

Regards
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by shd9
I burned one for EZE-LAX-HND. Starting on a Tuesday the flights are not very busy (no waitlist at gate).

Otherwise I agree, that now flights to HK and China are quite easy to clear midweek except those 788 operated flights
These flights all used to clear at booking last year. AA yanked the plug on that too.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:04 pm

DFW to HKG
Flights are wide open due to protests
J to F is avalable almost all the time
fotographer likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
DFW to HKG
Flights are wide open due to protests
J to F is avalable almost all the time
AA J to F is not much of an improvement; far better bang for the buck by doing a Y to J upgrade.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by enviroian
These flights all used to clear at booking last year. AA yanked the plug on that too.
Yeah. It is very rare for AA to release C anytime before T-36 now even the flight is very empty. My flights went U7 three days before but still C0.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by puchong
AA J to F is not much of an improvement; far better bang for the buck by doing a Y to J upgrade.
This, AA F is often worse than J, the seat is less private. Y to J is the way to go. To the guy who did EZE-LAX-HND, is that only one SWU? If so...nice.
Antarius and asnovici like this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
This, AA F is often worse than J, the seat is less private. Y to J is the way to go. To the guy who did EZE-LAX-HND, is that only one SWU? If so...nice.
3 or less segments and not backtracking. So a single SWU. Good use of one.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Antarius
3 or less segments and not backtracking. So a single SWU. Good use of one.
Daaaamn, now I have a new goal for SWU burning in 2020.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Daaaamn, now I have a new goal for SWU burning in 2020.
Try EZE-DFW-HKG too

Or maybe even HKG-DFW-TLV next year!
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Antarius
Try EZE-DFW-HKG too

Or maybe even HKG-DFW-TLV next year!
Already started searching EZE-LAX-HKG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.