Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does EQD calculation contain additional fares collected?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres

I understand EQDs are earned on the base fare (not taxes). I had a flight where I made a change to the original itinerary (due to the hurricane in S Florida). AA waived change fees due to the weather but there was a change in fare ($165.01) which I was required to pay. After the flight I received EQDs only on the original itinerary cost. I did not receive any EQDs for the add'l change in fare I paid. I originally asked this in the Newbie lounge and Jdiver said "AFAIK, you should have been awarded EQD on the fare component paid (not including taxes, fees, change fees). You should have received EQD based on the highest fare component you actually paid, I believe, and will undoubtedly have to call or use the AAdvantage customer service webform."

So I've spoken to AA and spoken to a supervisor at AA and they both said that the EQDs earned are on the original fare (and fare bucket) not necessarily applying any EQDs for "additional fares collected". However, they did send it in for "review". I later received an email from AA customer service after the review that said:

"We have reviewed your flights from MIA to LAX
and return. You received the correct EQDs based on the eligible fare of
your ticket. Your base fare after the exchange of the original ticket
was $374.88; you received 375 EQDs."

However the fare I paid after making changes to the ticket was higher ($165.01 higher). See below:
FARE-USD: $374.88
TAXES AND CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES: $56.72
TICKET TOTAL: $431.60
ADDITIONAL FARE COLLECTION: $165.01

So my question is - since I ultimately paid an add'l $165.01 on this rtrp flight, shouldn't I earn EQDs on the additional fare collected? Or does AA collect add'l fares and not count these towards EQDs (as per their CS agents description). If so, this is ridiculous! Why would AA collect fares yet not count them towards our EQDs?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Good question. I await the answer with bated breath. I think you should receive the additional EQD as you suspect...but who knows what AA will do!
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Was it re-ticketed? Is it too late to pull a receipt from the website? I don't know if it's the same thing, but I've upfared a few times (from regular economy to premium economy) and have always received the proper EQDs.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I understand EQDs are earned on the base fare (not taxes). I had a flight where I made a change to the original itinerary (due to the hurricane in S Florida). AA waived change fees due to the weather but there was a change in fare ($165.01) which I was required to pay. After the flight I received EQDs only on the original itinerary cost. I did not receive any EQDs for the add'l change in fare I paid. I originally asked this in the Newbie lounge and Jdiver said "AFAIK, you should have been awarded EQD on the fare component paid (not including taxes, fees, change fees). You should have received EQD based on the highest fare component you actually paid, I believe, and will undoubtedly have to call or use the AAdvantage customer service webform."

So I've spoken to AA and spoken to a supervisor at AA and they both said that the EQDs earned are on the original fare (and fare bucket) not necessarily applying any EQDs for "additional fares collected". However, they did send it in for "review". I later received an email from AA customer service after the review that said:

"We have reviewed your flights from MIA to LAX
and return. You received the correct EQDs based on the eligible fare of
your ticket. Your base fare after the exchange of the original ticket
was $374.88; you received 375 EQDs."

However the fare I paid after making changes to the ticket was higher ($165.01 higher). See below:
FARE-USD: $374.88
TAXES AND CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES: $56.72
TICKET TOTAL: $431.60
ADDITIONAL FARE COLLECTION: $165.01

So my question is - since I ultimately paid an add'l $165.01 on this rtrp flight, shouldn't I earn EQDs on the additional fare collected? Or does AA collect add'l fares and not count these towards EQDs (as per their CS agents description). If so, this is ridiculous! Why would AA collect fares yet not count them towards our EQDs?
I'm a bit confused, the reply seems to indicate that the total ticket price was $431.60 including the additional fare collection of $165.01. Are you saying your original ticket was $431.60 and you paid an additional $165.01 for a total ticket price of $596.61? How much was your original ticket? I upfare regularly and only once had an issue with not getting the right EQDs, however after a review I was awarded the correct amount.
Beachfun71 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Based on what you posted, you are entitled to 375 EQDs. The A/C shown implies the value of your original ticket was $266.59.
Beachfun71 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Based on what you posted, you are entitled to 375 EQDs. The A/C shown implies the value of your original ticket was $266.59.
Aha! So I was misunderstanding. It appears the $165.01 is inclusive within the $431.60 (not in addition). I was misreading the "additional fare collected" section as being add'l (as meaning above and beyond). Personally I'd reconfigure how they show the new receipt - but I agree now, the appropriate EQDs were provided, including the additional fare paid.
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.