Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AS first leg on AA Award ticket - Can AS number be used?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:20 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

I have an AA Milesaaver award ticket: AS SAN-SFO, then JL SFO to Japan. The AS first leg is in coach; the JL leg is in First.

I have status with both AS (MVPG) and AA (Lifetime Plat). Can I put my AS number on the reservation to enhance the chance of an upgrade on the first leg, or will that somehow compromise the JL leg which was bought with AA miles?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Call Alaska Airlines to add your FF number for the first segment. Also ask for the AS record locator which will be different than the AA record locator. Use the AS record locator on the mobile app to link your first segment with the application.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by normcpa
I have an AA Milesaaver award ticket: AS SAN-SFO, then JL SFO to Japan. The AS first leg is in coach; the JL leg is in First.

I have status with both AS (MVPG) and AA (Lifetime Plat). Can I put my AS number on the reservation to enhance the chance of an upgrade on the first leg, or will that somehow compromise the JL leg which was bought with AA miles?
You can absolutely put your AS number in the reservation, there's no requirement to use your AA number just because you booked with AA miles, or anything like that.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:47 am

I see absolutely no benefit to you having your AA number on it (you are on JL first). So just switch the whole reservation to using your AS number.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I see absolutely no benefit to you having your AA number on it (you are on JL first). So just switch the whole reservation to using your AS number.
Lounge access if you have status on AA and don't have the AA number on the JL flight
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
Lounge access if you have status on AA and don't have the AA number on the JL flight
You mean you don't get lounge access with JL first-class?
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:17 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your input!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You mean you don't get lounge access with JL first-class?
Yeah, JL F == AA EXP/OW Emerald (and BETTER than OP's OW Sapphire/AA LT Plat) for lounge access at SFO for OP, so there's no reason to stick with an AA FF# in the reservation.

OP doesn't get lounge access at SAN based on JL F or AA status no matter what because... AS flight = no OW lounge access privileges (AS isn't in OW, the connecting flight SAN-SFO needs to be on AA or some other OW airline, not that there is any one that could conceivably fly SAN-SFO).
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:01 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah, JL F == AA EXP/OW Emerald (and BETTER than OP's OW Sapphire/AA LT Plat) for lounge access at SFO for OP, so there's no reason to stick with an AA FF# in the reservation.

OP doesn't get lounge access at SAN based on JL F or AA status no matter what because... AS flight = no OW lounge access privileges (AS isn't in OW, the connecting flight SAN-SFO needs to be on AA or some other OW airline, not that there is any one that could conceivably fly SAN-SFO).
Some additional trivia here (which I believe (hope) is correct): I have an Citi AC card. By the time of the trip (next May) AC admittance based on AC membership will be limited to flights on AA or on a One World carrier. However, there is a little-known exception for AS passengers, so I'll still get admitted.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by normcpa
Some additional trivia here (which I believe (hope) is correct): I have an Citi AC card. By the time of the trip (next May) AC admittance based on AC membership will be limited to flights on AA or on a One World carrier. However, there is a little-known exception for AS passengers, so I'll still get admitted.
San Diego does not have an Admirals Club, just an airspace lounge you can get in via cards or whatever (like Amex plat).
It is a little bit less than miserable, so I would just not spend much time in the airport (small airport, outside should be gorgeous then)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.