Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Archive Of ORIGINAL AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard

FOR CURRENT THREAD SEE HERE.

NOTE: The BarclayCard US Airways Aviator credit cards were offered to US Airways Dividend Miles members and "grandfathered in" to the AAdvantage program. Now you can sign up for several Aviator cards, though the Silver Card is generally available after one has had another Aviator Card at least three months.

There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. An April 2015 article on The Points Guy details them.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator (Jason Steele, April 13th, 2015).

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to FT thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Red applications are available at the airport or in flight in 2017, or online at https://home.barclaycardus.com

New Red cardholders may apply to upgrade to Aviator Silver after 90 days. Existing Red cardholders (prior to 2017) may apply to upgrade to Silver at any time.

Aviator Silver offers EQM:

"Additional Benefits of your Account

Elite Qualifying Miles

The primary cardmember may earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles ("EQMs") after spending $20,000 in Net Purchases that post to the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account from January 1st through December 31st each calendar year. The primary cardmember may earn an additional 5,000 AAdvantage® EQMs each calendar year when the cardmember reaches $40,000 in spending on Net Purchases with the AAdvantage Aviator Silver account during the same period. An AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver primary cardmember may earn the maximum 10,000 EQMs once per calendar year, unless the cardmember has already earned the maximum number of EQMs through another AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account. EQMs earned are in addition to the AAdvantage miles earned for Net Purchases made on the AAdvantage®Aviator™ Silver account. Net Purchases exclude returned goods and services, cash advances, convenience checks, transferred balances, credits, fees and interest charges. Net Purchases made by authorized users through additional cards on the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account will count toward the primary cardmember's qualifying spend. EQMs earned as a result of this benefit will typically be posted to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account 6-8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement. EQMs will not count toward Million Miler℠ status. EQMs cannot be redeemed for award travel, AAdvantage® miles or any other AAdvantage® program awards. EQMs earned with the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account qualify toward the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® program elite status earning requirements each calendar year, subject to the limits under the Reward Rules and the AAdvantage® Program. Full details on elite status and qualifications are available in the AAdvantage® section of aa.com."

Both cards will offer spend offsets to the required Elite Qualifying Dollar spend in 2017.[/B]

Spend $25,000 or more on a Barclaycard-issued American AAdvantage Aviator Red credit card and earn 3,000 EQD.

Spend $25,000 on a Barclaycard-issued AAdvantage Aviator Silver credit card and earn an additional 3,000 EQD - a second $25,000 spend will earn another 3,000 EQD.

You can not hold both cards and combine earnings. You can notvearn more than $6,000 EQD spend offset in one year. Qualifying purchases are 1 Jan - 31 Dec of one year.

See EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Card – announcement, details for further information.

and FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and Partner Airlines (2017 on)

Spend $20,000 on your Silver card in one calendar year, earn 5,000 EQM; spend a total of $40,000 or more on your Silver card, earn 5,000 more EQM.

Above updated 16 Feb 2017 - JDiver

What are the benefits of the Aviator Silver card?
  • Earn 3X miles for every dollar spent on eligible US Airways and American Airlines purchases
  • Earn 2X miles for every dollar spent on hotels and car rentals
  • Earn 1X miles for every dollar spent on all other purchases
  • Earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
  • First checked bag free for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation
  • A Companion Certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each will be issued each year after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Premium Servicing including US-based Customer Service, World Elite Concierge and Luxury Travel Benefits
  • Receive 10% of your redeemed miles back, up to 10,000 miles each calendar year
  • Apply for Global Entry with TSA PreCheck and, upon approval, experience expedited, more efficient security screenings, moving you smoothly through U.S. Customs when returning from traveling abroad. Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction.
    • With this benefit, the primary cardmember can receive one application fee statement credit every 5 years when the Global Entry membership needs to be renewed.
What are the terms of the 10% rebate benefit?
According to the Aviator card FAQ,
For this benefit to apply, your account must be open and active at the time of redemption.

The American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles you will earn through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage miles you redeem each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many AAdvantage miles you redeem in that calendar year.

This benefit only applies to AAdvantage miles redeemed from the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage® account. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles to post to the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage account.
Thus, this benefit
  • applies to all miles redemptions, regardless of the passenger name on the airline ticket or other award.
  • is limited to 10,000 miles in rebates per calendar year, regardless of how many Barclays and/or Citi AA cards you have.

For additional information about the 10% rebate benefit, see FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (consolidated)and the associated wiki.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: US Platinum
Originally Posted by racefaith
So essentially my decision comes down to how much I value the 2 $99 tickets and the 50K miles. Do you guys think Im correct?
And I assume the 50K miles is just a singing bonus? So in the long term (2nd year and beyond), it really just comes down to the companion tickets.

The 3x/2x benefit is neat, but I wonder how many people pay for airfare, hotels, and rental cars with their personal credit cards. I'm self-employed, and have a Barclays US Airways business card for my business expenses. The IRS doesn't like funds co-mingled, and having the separate accounts makes accounting much easier.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm probably dropping Barclay's entirely. I don't really want to run $30k through this card every year - I'd rather send the $30k somewhere with a better perk (like meaningful hotel status) or where I'll simply earn more value than AA miles.

I held Barclay's for a few years for the companion certs and lounge pass. But it's not worth $195 *and* $30k of suboptimal spending to get companion certs.

Unlike some here, I don't have time to do an unlimited amount of manufactured spend. My spending is my normal activity, mix of biz travel and personal expenses, and is maybe $50-60k per year, maximum, across all cards. So I do have to think a bit about any threshold bonuses I want to chase...
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by ereuter
...but I wonder how many people pay for airfare, hotels, and rental cars with their personal credit cards.
I would expect there is a sizable segment of the business travel market where employees book and pay for their travel expenses using whatever method they like and then submit receipts for reimbursement by their employer. This is how we do it at my current employer as well as my last employer, and I expect how many travelers who do not have corporate cards handle it. The IRS calls this "accountable" reimbursement and it is not subject to taxation, so how you pay for any given expense makes no difference as long as you have the receipts to prove it and your employer can demonstrate the connection to the business.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by racefaith
I would like to canvas the group and get your feedback as well as any corrections to my understanding of these 2 cards.

Im a longtime Barclays DM card holder (prior to them, I forget who was USAirs issuer) I received my "invitation to upgrade" last Friday, 10/31. For those looking, it came in a black envelope.

I currently pay $85 for my "old" Barclays card with the most important benefit to me being the 2 annual companion traveles for $99 as there are 6 of us in the family so they come in handy on vacation trips.

I am a Chairman so I receive the reduced Club cost of $350 (down from $450) and I always renew my membership so any Day passes are useless to me.

As other note, the new Barclays card costs $195 but you get a 3X bonus on US/AA purchases vs 2X on Citi card. You still get cert for 2 companion to travel at $99 each.

Citi Plat card costs $450 but includes Club Membership and comes with 50K miles under current offer.

There is no miles offer with the Barclays card.

Both cards offer 10K PQMs if you spend $40K annually which I will.

So if I take Barclays upgrade offer and pay for Club, I'm at $550 for Club & Card but get the 3X miles factor and the 2 $99 companion tickets benefit.

If I switch to Citi Plat I pay $450 for Club and Card plus I get 50K in bonus miles for initial join.

So essentially my decision comes down to how much I value the 2 $99 tickets and the 50K miles. Do you guys think Im correct?

My Club membership renews in Feb if that is of value.

thanks
You're not the only one looking at this.

Something else to keep in mind is that the Aviator Silver card gives you the 10% rebate back on miles - the Citi Executive card does not, so you also have to get a regular AA card if you want that benefit.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gruss
I would expect there is a sizable segment of the business travel market where employees book and pay for their travel expenses using whatever method they like and then submit receipts for reimbursement by their employer. This is how we do it at my current employer as well as my last employer, and I expect how many travelers who do not have corporate cards handle it. The IRS calls this "accountable" reimbursement and it is not subject to taxation, so how you pay for any given expense makes no difference as long as you have the receipts to prove it and your employer can demonstrate the connection to the business.
I'm guessing it becomes thornier if you're self-employed? (ereuter's situation) Perhaps depends a bit on what type of corporation you've set up and how you pay/reimburse yourself?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: US Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm guessing it becomes thornier if you're self-employed? (ereuter's situation) Perhaps depends a bit on what type of corporation you've set up and how you pay/reimburse yourself?
Well, not to veer off topic, but it's more of an issue with a checking or other deposit account. As far as the credit card goes, it's just much easier to keep track of business expenses if they're all on one card.

When I used to work for others, I had a company Amex card. I didn't realize that a lot of people book their travel on their own cards. That does make the 3x/2x perk valuable.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by ereuter
Well, not to veer off topic, but it's more of an issue with a checking or other deposit account. As far as the credit card goes, it's just much easier to keep track of business expenses if they're all on one card.

When I used to work for others, I had a company Amex card. I didn't realize that a lot of people book their travel on their own cards. That does make the 3x/2x perk valuable.
My most common arrangement 10-15 years ago was that we carried a company card and did the following: (a) central-book airfare, so it never hit our card, (b) required to book rental cars with the company card for insurance purposes, (c) our choice on what card to use for everything else.

In the past few years, the emphasis on the corp card seems to have faded away at the places I've worked: my current company issues them to people who want them, but doesn't require them to be used for anything in particular. There is also a process by which you can be approved for advance reimbursement of expenses in the case of a major trip (e.g., a conference where you prepay the registration fee and hotel), but you are allowed to run it through your own card if you choose.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:12 am

Perks for Elite card

I wonder why the Elite card doesn't offer the $100.00 discount to book a flight that is offered with the red card. I'm going to miss the 5,000 miles discount that is currently offered by the US card.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Jeff Sloyer
I sent Barclay's a message about the Silver Aviator card and got the following back.

Dear xxxx

Once the US Airways and American Airlines rewards programs merge in 2015, we will then trade all of our US Airways customers to an AAviator product. We are planning to send all customers the AAviator Red version of this card, then customers can request the upgrade to Silver once they receive the new card. Silver has better benefits than the Red one. You will be provided with additional information regarding the benefits of all the cards when the time comes closer for it to happen.
Sincerely,

Customer Service
My current card offers the 10K redeemable (not EQM) miles annually, no spend requirement. And just 13 days ago, I got an email from Barclays that said

"With your US Airways Dividend Miles® MasterCard®, you receive 10,000 Dividend Miles every year on the anniversary of your account opening.

We're happy to let you know that once the US Airways and American Airlines loyalty programs combine in 2015, you'll continue to receive this benefit in the form of 10,000 AAdvantage® miles. "

I don't see this benefit listed in the chart up-thread for either version, so I had thought I'd stick with what I have rather than change to either Aviator version. Now it seems I may not have a choice?

I won't hit 20-30K spend, and without that, none of the other benefits are worth the annual fee to me. If the 10K annual miles go away, I'll be cancelling.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by aztimm
I'll probably do it, but I want to make sure it doesn't interfere with getting the 10k preferred miles for this calendar year, which I'm close to (from the old version of the US card).

Has anyone else verified that upgrading to the new card won't impact this year's benefits?
Just in case anyone else has the same question, I sent a message through my account and they replied.

Benefits of the new card will begin in January, so if you're close to the $25k in spend for 2014, you can upgrade and it won't impact your current card benefits.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Not impressed. My current card gives 10,000 miles per year-confirmed for 2015 but recent Barclay emails hint it'll continue. Add the 10% miles back [especially if combined with citi] and this is better than the new Red card.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:52 pm

As I understand it, those who have the current US card will automatically have it converted to Aviators Red if they don't upgrade to Silver. Mommy Points:
The Red version of the card is said to come with benefits that include:
[...]
Those that had the 10k anniversary miles with the US Airways card will get to keep them
I'm thinking my card that has this benefit will change to this branding.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: Formerly US CP & AA EXP, now Gold
Originally Posted by apeortdz
"Most Engaged" !!!

I wonder what their definition of that is. I spent >$25K every year for the past five or more years and I got no invitation.
And I spend well over $40,000 per year on my World Elite card. I haven't gotten the mailer (or I pitched it without paying attention), so I called the 800 number. And I'm not eligible. Wow, hard to understand.

Best,

David
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; (HP-FF>US DM - RIP);Marriott Lifetime Plat and a bunch of others
Originally Posted by davidl
And I spend well over $40,000 per year on my World Elite card. I haven't gotten the mailer (or I pitched it without paying attention), so I called the 800 number. And I'm not eligible. Wow, hard to understand.

Best,

David
I have two cards, one of which is from a legacy HP card that got converted and the other was through US. Between business and personal stuff, we run enough through these cards to get the EQM every year. I am not eligible? Wonder what their criteria is? Am I not eligible because we pay our bills and don't carry big balances to pay big interest each month?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by talkandfly
I have two cards, one of which is from a legacy HP card that got converted and the other was through US. Between business and personal stuff, we run enough through these cards to get the EQM every year. I am not eligible? Wonder what their criteria is? Am I not eligible because we pay our bills and don't carry big balances to pay big interest each month?
I'm in the same boat...just makes no sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.