Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions about possible last minute equipment change for flight next week.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium

(mods: I wasn't quite sure if this fit an existing thread so apologies in advance if you need to merge it)

Next week I'm flying AA1258 from DFW to ORD. I booked a couple of months ago in paid dom. first (I Fare) and at the time it was a 788. About a week ago, I checked my reservation to finally choose my lunch meal and noticed that it had changed to a 789 - so I picked my new seat on the new seat map but thought it was a little suspicious since this flight for months has been a 788 and decided to look a bit more into things. AA showed the 789 (with the additional J inventory available) for AA1258 from this past Monday through the end of the month (that's as far as I looked) but every single day so far this week, it's been switched back to a 788 at < 12-16hrs pre-departure.

Given the pattern, there's a good chance this swap will hit me next week. Anything I can do to proactively prepare for a possible involuntary downgrade? I have a 5am flight to get to DFW so I'll probably be asleep when/if the swap occurs and I'd like to be as prepared as possible for when I get up to head to the airport. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
(mods: I wasn't quite sure if this fit an existing thread so apologies in advance if you need to merge it)

Next week I'm flying AA1258 from DFW to ORD. I booked a couple of months ago in paid dom. first (I Fare) and at the time it was a 788. About a week ago, I checked my reservation to finally choose my lunch meal and noticed that it had changed to a 789 - so I picked my new seat on the new seat map but thought it was a little suspicious since this flight for months has been a 788 and decided to look a bit more into things. AA showed the 789 (with the additional J inventory available) for AA1258 from this past Monday through the end of the month (that's as far as I looked) but every single day so far this week, it's been switched back to a 788 at < 12-16hrs pre-departure.

Given the pattern, there's a good chance this swap will hit me next week. Anything I can do to proactively prepare for a possible involuntary downgrade? I have a 5am flight to get to DFW so I'll probably be asleep when/if the swap occurs and I'd like to be as prepared as possible for when I get up to head to the airport. Thanks in advance!
There's not much you can proactively do other than monitor the flight/seat map. I assume AA would downgrade upgrades first before paid F. More than likely you have nothing to worry about.
Drwaz99 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Drwaz99

Select a seat that is in both configurations in J.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Select a seat that is in both configurations in J.
This. I was traveling on an instrument-upgraded flight that got swapped from a regular A321 to a A321T. I was in 1F, which existed in both configs, and kept that seat. They did call to see if I'd be willing to downgrade in exchange for compensation, but I didn't know (and they didn't tell me) that the swap was to an A321T, where the J cabin was sold as Y, so I didn't take it.
Drwaz99 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've had 4A selected in both configs. *crosses fingers*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.