FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Non-refundable Basic Economy Ticket Repurposing? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1985331-non-refundable-basic-economy-ticket-repurposing.html)

hotelboy Aug 31, 2019 7:14 pm

Hope the OP is aware that Florida is about to be hit by a Catagory 4 Hurricane. Airport may not even be open by Friday.

SpammersAreScum Aug 31, 2019 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by hotelboy (Post 31477948)
Hope the OP is aware that Florida is about to be hit by a Catagory 4 Hurricane. Airport may not even be open by Friday.

Miami was expected to be a bit south of landfall at worst, and latest projections are there probably won't actually be "landfall", just lower amounts of wind/rain/etc all along the coast. I wouldn't be worried about the state of MIA or FLL airport next Fri.

mvoight Sep 1, 2019 1:42 am

Originally Posted by hotelboy (Post 31477948)

It is highly doubtful MIA will be closed on Friday.

mvoight Sep 1, 2019 1:48 am

Originally Posted by zznoname (Post 31477325)
Thanks. Thanks for the tips.

So... what would cause AA830 to be delayed over 2 hours 46% of the time?
I'm guessing it's not weather, or mechanical.

So... if it's just AA "consistently messing up", from what you wrote, AA is off the hook to it's passengers, and just deposits them in the airport with re-booking help.

Airport issues seems like it could be anything, so AA can arrive 2 hours late, miss all the connections, and have no responsibility to the passengers (other than re-booking)?
Thanks.

No, they are not off the hook. If it is due to something other than weather or ATC restrictions, they would have to give you a hotel and food.

hedoman Sep 1, 2019 6:21 am

Why would an EXP with analytical mind purchase a BE fare? Not picking on OP because he has admitted the error. It's a legit question. As a cheap person and plat, I've never been hit the BE button.

Dave Noble Sep 1, 2019 6:30 am

Originally Posted by hedoman (Post 31478971)
Why would an EXP with analytical mind purchase a BE fare? Not picking on OP because he has admitted the error. It's a legit question. As a cheap person and plat, I've never been hit the BE button.

Price would seem an obvious reason

Often1 Sep 1, 2019 7:03 am

Originally Posted by hedoman (Post 31478971)

While I happen to agree that BE fares are generally a poor bargain, if one looks solely at the cost of the ticket, BE tickets are cheaper and thus a cash savings. For most consumers, that is all they look at.

While FT focuses on elite perks and the like, the primary reason BE tickets are a poor investment is that they are wholly inflexible. Thus, if any change needs to be made, one purchases a new ticket.

btonkid12345 Sep 1, 2019 8:11 am

Originally Posted by zznoname (Post 31477351)
This risk is too great.
I'm thinking we have to eat the $400. and spend $600 more to be "safe".
Just throw money at the problem, because it seems clear, at least from past flights, we'd be walking into a messed up situation.

I wouldn't throw money at it. There is still a greater than 50% chance you'll be on time.

If not, you can change to Miami, etc. Lots of options to get you there. You just have to be proactive and not rely on what any 1 AAgent tells you until you have new confirmed tickets in hand, should things go south.

$600 more on AA isn't going to "fix" any problem for you given you aren't changing carriers or to a nonstop.

zznoname Sep 1, 2019 9:12 am

Thanks

zznoname Sep 1, 2019 9:16 am

Thanks

zznoname Sep 1, 2019 9:27 am

Thanks

zznoname Sep 1, 2019 9:30 am

Thanks

hedoman Sep 1, 2019 9:40 am

Logic and loyalty regarding AA......not in today's world.

zznoname Sep 1, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks

donotblink Sep 1, 2019 10:07 am

Originally Posted by zznoname (Post 31479443)
I'm still trying to figure out what would cause AA830 to be (over the previous 14 Friday flights) delayed over 2 hours 46% of the time?

Since my November AA830 scheduled equipment is a 787, maybe it's the same now (too lazy to look) and coming from overseas, and international to domestic transfers take more time?
In any case, something is happening regularly (46% of the time) causing a two hour delay and that can't always be weather or mechanical.

A bunch of things: American Airlines is currently in a dispute with their mechanics union, and they have accused them of an illegal work slowdown. American is also currently down quite a few Aircrafts due to their inability to operate the Boeing 737 max eight. Also, Weather hasn’t really been on American Airlines’ side this summer in several hubs, causing a domino effect of delays.