Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gate agent counting duty free purchases as carryon at POS (AA policy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat

Traveled POS-MIA earlier this week and the gate agents were counting duty-free purchases as part of the carry-on allowance. They were checking bags at the gate if you had a carryon.

I boarded in group 3 and the agent who scanned my boarding pass didn’t notice but there was another agent on the plane. The agent told me I needed to fit my duty free under the seat with my backpack. It couldn’t and I said I’ll put it up in the overhead and I’ll wait for a flight attendant. The agent didn’t reply but seemed to have an annoyed look on their face. Not really a fan of the agents at POS anyway.

Ive travelled many times with duty free on AA and other carriers but this is the first time I’ve had someone tell me it counts as carryon. Has there been a change in the rules or they just being finally being enforced?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Doesn't the person who hands you your duty-free purchases usually stand on the jet bridge beyond the point at which the GA scans your boarding pass? How would the GA know that you had such items at all? Or is it different at POS?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Doesn't the person who hands you your duty-free purchases usually stand on the jet bridge beyond the point at which the GA scans your boarding pass? How would the GA know that you had such items at all? Or is it different at POS?
Ive seen this where there is no separation of arriving and departing passengers, ie in the US a lot. It’s more common to take your purchases with you directly from the duty-free shop in non-US airports.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether an item is taxable has nothing to do with one's carry-on allowance. The space OH and underseat is limited and thus this is a zero-sum game. With the exception of certain carefully excepted items, the limit is two items of specified dimensions.

The fact that duty free is sometimes distributed after the gate reader is a matter of logistics, not AA rule.

Bottom line, for every person bringing a third carry-on with them, there is someone who must gate check something (presuming full flights and the like).
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by peaches070
Traveled POS-MIA earlier this week and the gate agents were counting duty-free purchases as part of the carry-on allowance. They were checking bags at the gate if you had a carryon.

I boarded in group 3 and the agent who scanned my boarding pass didn’t notice but there was another agent on the plane. The agent told me I needed to fit my duty free under the seat with my backpack. It couldn’t and I said I’ll put it up in the overhead and I’ll wait for a flight attendant. The agent didn’t reply but seemed to have an annoyed look on their face. Not really a fan of the agents at POS anyway.

Ive travelled many times with duty free on AA and other carriers but this is the first time I’ve had someone tell me it counts as carryon. Has there been a change in the rules or they just being finally being enforced?
Some airlines do not count Duty Free purchases in your carry on limits. AA is not one of them. Nothing on the website indicates Duty Free purchases are exempted from the carryon limits
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
So POS is different. They hand you the duty free sealed back at the gate around 10mins before boarding. Also, if you buy duty free after security screening, you're allowed to take the bag with you instead of having someone bring it.

Originally Posted by Often1
Whether an item is taxable has nothing to do with one's carry-on allowance. The space OH and underseat is limited and thus this is a zero-sum game. With the exception of certain carefully excepted items, the limit is two items of specified dimensions.

The fact that duty free is sometimes distributed after the gate reader is a matter of logistics, not AA rule.

Bottom line, for every person bringing a third carry-on with them, there is someone who must gate check something (presuming full flights and the like).
Originally Posted by mvoight
Some airlines do not count Duty Free purchases in your carry on limits. AA is not one of them. Nothing on the website indicates Duty Free purchases are exempted from the carryon limits
I'm honestly fine with duty free counting as part of the carry-on allowance, but I've never seen it enforced (nor was aware that it was a rule) at MIA, JFK, and POS with AA. I'll just need to plan for it next time.

Last edited by peaches070; Aug 19, 2019 at 9:24 am Reason: clarified statement in ()
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I have never seen it either and if airlines started counting DF items that strictly then most passengers would stop buying the DF and the airport revenues would be badly hit. Furthermore, the foreign carriers would not count them and the passengers would start to move to them too.
James91, htb and justforfun like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT

But why would an airline not count duty free purchases as carryons? You are carrying them on, yes? Your interpretation would then be that you get the published carryon allowance plus all duty free items? What about airports where you can buy large duty free items? A case of wine, perhaps? OK to carry that on in addition to your regular allowance?
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But why would an airline not count duty free purchases as carryons? You are carrying them on, yes? Your interpretation would then be that you get the published carryon allowance plus all duty free items? What about airports where you can buy large duty free items? A case of wine, perhaps? OK to carry that on in addition to your regular allowance?
I've never seen it enforced, that's why I have always interpreted as carryon plus duty free items. I've never seen anyone try coming on board with more than a bottle or two of alcohol though so I've never considered larger duty free items. I've always wondered why it was ok but most airlines I've travelled internationally have always allowed duty free purchases on board in addition to carry-on. That being said, I understand why it should be counted as part of the carry-on allowance.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Just received a reply to my DM to AA on twitter.

You can bring 1 personal item and 1 carry-on bag on board. If you have more items than this, you may be asked to check it or you can consolidate into one of your bags.
So basically it all comes down to the gate agent and how much duty free you're traveling with.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Since AA continues to allow free gate checking for all passengers regardless of fare type, I see no issue if you are forced to check something.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Just received a reply to my DM to AA on twitter.

So basically it all comes down to the gate agent and how much duty free you're traveling with.
I'm pretty sure most of AA Twitter's responses are from bots. With United and Delta's Twitter, you actually get real people for most replies.

On Delta, ANY purchase in the terminal does not count towards the carry on allowance. I assume this is Delta being a good partner for their in-terminal options; a robust terminal is always better for passengers. Never leads to a problem on Delta, and I don't see a bag of duty-free purchases displacing a rollerboard.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
On Delta, ANY purchase in the terminal does not count towards the carry on allowance.
Could have had some fun with that back when you could by a car in the duty free at Schiphol.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dav662
I have never seen it either and if airlines started counting DF items that strictly then most passengers would stop buying the DF and the airport revenues would be badly hit. Furthermore, the foreign carriers would not count them and the passengers would start to move to them too.
From BA's baggage rules: "All duty free bags or airport purchases count as hand baggage so if you have more than your free allowance, your extra bags will be checked into the hold."
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given generous carry-on allowances, people who wish to make DF purchases may simply leave enough room in their carry on and be done with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.