Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STL 737max gone

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by mvoight
Can't MCAS simply be disabled? (Yes, I know the answer.... it just seemed logical that if it was a problem, there should be a way)
There is no MCAS cutoff switch because you can not have a switch labeled:

CUTOFF DEVICE WE HAVE NEVER TOLD YOU ABOUT

Many of the odd design issues look to be related to Boeing's need to hide the system in order to sell the MAX as "no training needed".
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by econometrics
Or are we SURE one was there all along? All the reports I had read before (and just re-read) did not mention any of the 24 MAX8 aircraft being at STL.
According to FlightAware there was one aircraft that was ferried about three months ago from STL to TUL.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jpsj
Anyone know where the AA 737 Max that has been parked on the western hanger apron has gone?
There was a Max in STL from March 14 - April 17 (N341RW). It flew to Tulsa on 17-April. All AA 737-max are in either Tulsa or Roswell. None have flown since their ferry flights in April (according to FR24).
econometrics and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
AA has the MAX back in the schedule. All the flights from DCA-MIA are MAX's in November.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by mvoight
Can't MCAS simply be disabled? (Yes, I know the answer.... it just seemed logical that if it was a problem, there should be a way)
Yes it can, but only by totally disabling the electric trim, meaning that pitch trim would have to be achieved using the manual wheel. The 737 NG had two trim cutoff switches - one to disable yoke-controlled electric trim and the other to disable auto-pilot trim control. For some reason on the 737 MAX Boeing wired the two switches in parallel so that turning a single one off changed nothing and turning both off completely disabled electric trim. Their justification for doing this (and not telling anyone in training) was that all the published emergency procedures for runaway trim involved turning both switches off so weren't affected by the change. I believe that in the Ethiopian crash the pilots tried to re-enable just the yoke-controlled trim (because they couldn't turn the wheel fast enough to avoid a crash) and MCAS then put the final nail in the coffin because of this change.
freeagent likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.