Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NonStop One Way Business Class Flight US NE to Rome FCO all $8K?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NonStop One Way Business Class Flight US NE to Rome FCO all $8K?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SmokeDaMeat
On a different note, I looked at the Emirates flights (as discussed earlier in this thread). Apparently Emirates doesn't allow you to view or pick for Business Class seats until after booking.
I know I can just book, view seats, then cancel if disinterested in less than 24 hours, but what a joke for buying BC seats not and being able to view/select seats in advance.
(We were also looking at 1 way BC flights out of Europe to Japan and same thing, can't view/pick seats until after purchase and not sure that Europe has 24 hour refund rule like USA).
If you want a joke, try booking BA where if you want to reserve a seat in advance, even in business, you have to pay, unless you have status. That one catches a lot of people off guard.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
I'm looking at a late September trip to Siena, Italy and flying into Rome from the US Northeast. Would prefer a one-way non-stop flight.
All of the One-way Business Class flights that I see from JFK, EWR, Washington DC airports, PHI.....are about $8,000.... all airlines... American Airlines, United, etc...

I do see more realistic prices for the same type of flight into Milan, but Milan isn't really my preferred destination (although I could just take the train down from Milan to Siena).

Any thoughts?
be aware that if you buy a one way ticket, you may need to show proof of onward or return ticket to be allowed to fly. or proof of European citizenship or residency.
SMFlagg likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I
On a different note, I looked at the Emirates flights (as discussed earlier in this thread). Apparently Emirates doesn't allow you to view or pick for Business Class seats until after booking..
Nothing unique about that.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
If you want a joke, try booking BA where if you want to reserve a seat in advance, even in business, you have to pay, unless you have status. That one catches a lot of people off guard.
Oh man, that would definitely be more than annoying.

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
be aware that if you buy a one way ticket, you may need to show proof of onward or return ticket to be allowed to fly. or proof of European citizenship or residency.
Good point. I did actually know this as I had a on-way into another country (but purchased 1 way tickets out fully refundable). I decided to cancel them after arriving, then bought different 1 way tickets out at a later date because we weren't sure when we were leaving.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Nothing unique about that.
I guess BC fares are getting sliced up more and more....... like Economy fares have been for years.....
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Yeah, it’s definitely annoying but the reality is many airlines outside the US don’t have the option to view the seat map until after booking or in many cases just before you get to payment. I find having an ExpertFlyer subscription very valuable for this and many other things.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:02 pm

I guess BC fares are getting sliced up more and more....... like Economy fares have been for years.....
There is no slicing up - Emirates does not charge for seat assignment on its business class fares , it just doesn't offer seat selection until after the booking is made. This is not a an uncommon situation. Some airlines (e.g. EY) do not allow seat selection until after the ticket is issued
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
Yeah, it’s definitely annoying but the reality is many airlines outside the US don’t have the option to view the seat map until after booking or in many cases just before you get to payment. I find having an ExpertFlyer subscription very valuable for this and many other things.
We came across ExpertFlyer recently and tried the trial edition, very nice as you suggest - able to see the available seats now before booking.
Do you know if one-way tickets purchased departing Italy have the initial 24-hour (or other time-frame) free cancellation window, like the US?

(My apologies if I don't reply promptly at some point, not sure if/when I'll get bumped off here for another 24 hours as a newbie).
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:09 pm

We came across ExpertFlyer recently and tried the trial edition, very nice as you suggest - able to see the available seats now before booking.
Do you know if one-way tickets purchased departing Italy have the initial 24-hour (or other time-frame) free cancellation window, like the US?

(My apologies if I don't reply promptly at some point, not sure if/when I'll get bumped off here for another 24 hours as a newbie).
Nope - the requirement for a 24 hours cancellation option is purely for US. If you book elsewhere, no free cancellation
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

There is no slicing up - Emirates does not charge for seat assignment on its business class fares , it just doesn't offer seat selection until after the booking is made. This is not a an uncommon situation. Some airlines (e.g. EY) do not allow seat selection until after the ticket is issued
Agreed. However, I did notice though on Emirates that if there is a "Special Offer" BC fare, you can't chose those seats until about 48 hours prior to departure. I think their BC "Saver", "Flex" and "Flex Plus" do allow seat selection immediately after booking (I could be wrong).

Nope - the requirement for a 24 hours cancellation option is purely for US. If you book elsewhere, no free cancellation
Good to know, good to know....thank you...
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Agreed. However, I did notice though on Emirates that if there is a "Special Offer" BC fare, you can't chose those seats until about 48 hours prior to departure. I think their BC "Saver", "Flex" and "Flex Plus" do allow seat selection immediately after booking (I could be wrong).

Good to know, good to know....thank you...
The ‘special offer’ product is a new one for EK and is like business ‘lite’. It also does not include lounge access or chauffeur service.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:22 pm

I didn't think that EK offers Business Special fares from US at this time - Special fares have restricted seat selection, no chauffeur drive and no lounge access
Saver, Flex and Flex+ all allow for seat selection after booking is made as well as the benefits of lounge access and chauffeur drive
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It depends on the carrier. BA offers a 24-hour cooling off period on all of the tickets it sells. EK does not. Not sure about the policies of other carriers.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
The ‘special offer’ product is a new one for EK and is like business ‘lite’. It also does not include lounge access or chauffeur service.
Yep (the one I was looking at was a "Saver").

I didn't think that EK offers Business Special fares from US at this time - Special fares have restricted seat selection, no chauffeur drive and no lounge access
Saver, Flex and Flex+ all allow for seat selection after booking is made as well as the benefits of lounge access and chauffeur drive
That probably explains why I didn't see any "Special" fares when I looked for fares from the US. I'd probably pass anyways since 48 hour seat selection seems like a bad idea.

Originally Posted by guv1976
It depends on the carrier. BA offers a 24-hour cooling off period on all of the tickets it sells. EK does not. Not sure about the policies of other carriers.
Is that 24 hour cooling off period via BA for non-US bookings?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT
This will probably be dead by the time you read this, but:

Skyteam JFK-FCO $1254 RT Biz
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by linglingfool
This will probably be dead by the time you read this, but:
Skyteam JFK-FCO $1254 RT Biz
Thanks. I read through that thread and from what I understand those fares are more in the Dec - April range, as I am looking for a depart date late Sept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.