Wiki Posts
Search

night spent in middle of award

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage---LTGold, DL Skymiles
night spent in middle of award

I have an business class award on hold, CPH>LHR>BNA. I will spend the night at LHR. Will I be able to get my luggage? Always before when I have flown this route I have had to buy the ticket from CPH to LHR, then have gotten the award to BNA, but now that we have the direct flight from LHR to BNA the entire itinerary is available as an award. Thanks, Julia
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
With an overnight layover you probably can plead your case for your bag to be checked through only to LHR. If the layover is over 12 hrs then the policy will be to only check the bag to LHR anyway, if it is less than 12 hrs you can choose to check the bag all the way though and plan accordingly if you don't want to lug luggage around.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
you might want to consider getting a room at one of the near by hotels
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Can you not carry your bag on? You may have trouble checking bags to LHR because its not a stopover or legs booked on separate PNRs connecting at LHR. I have had no problems with bags on stopovers but layovers of ~12 hrs where I need access to my items I will carry on or take with me what I will need.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
With an overnight connection it will be no problem to just check your bags to LHR.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:21 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
With an overnight connection it will be no problem to just check your bags to LHR.
Not true. I've had three overnight, <12 hour (>7 each, but <12) "layovers" in the past 2 months and have note been able to short-check the luggage once. The agents said that it's physically impossible to do this without a hand-written tag, and they all refuse to do this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Since at CPH you will be checking-in with BA you will get a choice of having your bags togged to the final destination or to LHR only. The default will be to tag to the final destination (always for connection under 24 hours), but you can ask the agent to check the bag to LHR only.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
It varies, but I personally usually pack a small overnight bag and let them check it all the way through if they require.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
About 10 days ago we flew DUB-DFW-ICT with a 15 hour overnight layover in DFW. We wanted to check all the way to ICT, but they wouldn't let us do that in DUB. To make it worse, we had to wait 1:10 for our bags in DFW when we were tired and ready to go to our hotel.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Not true. I've had three overnight, <12 hour (>7 each, but <12) "layovers" in the past 2 months and have note been able to short-check the luggage once. The agents said that it's physically impossible to do this without a hand-written tag, and they all refuse to do this.
No idea what agents you're dealing with, but I've personally had no problems with both BA and IB agents at CPH checking my bag only to LHR or MAD on itineraries just like this that have an overnight connection before flying to the states the next day.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage---LTGold, DL Skymiles
Thank you for your replies. I will hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. Julia
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Why do you want to deal with retrieving your bag at LHR? For just an overnight, pack the items you'll need in your hand baggage and check your main baggage all the way through.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Why do you want to deal with retrieving your bag at LHR? For just an overnight, pack the items you'll need in your hand baggage and check your main baggage all the way through.
Plus, having a small hand carry w a day or two of clothes, is a strategy for dealing with a loss or delay of a bag at your destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.