Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Baby Bassinet / Bassinets on AA (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines and Baby / Infant In Flight Bassinets

Infants (under 2 years)

We accept infants as young as 2 days old. However, if you're traveling with an infant less than 7 days old, your physician will be required to fill out a passenger medical form before your flight. A special assistance coordinator will send the form directly to your physician. Infants must be accompanied by a person 16 years or older or by the infant's parent (any age) in the same cabin.

• Changing tables are available in the lavatories of all wide-body aircraft.

• Bassinets are available on a first come, first serve basis at the gate for travel only on 767-300, 777-200, 777-300 and 787 aircraft.*

• Bassinets are not available in First / Business cabins**.

Seating options for infants:

1. Held by an adult (lap child): A parent or any person 16 years or older may hold the infant in their lap. The infant must be included in the reservation by calling American Airlines reservations. International taxes and percentage of adult fare may apply.

2. In a reserved seat: If your infant will travel in their own seat, you must buy a ticket. The infant must either travel in a safety seat approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) or be able to sit upright in their seat without assistance and have their seatbelt securely fastened during taxi, takeoff, landing and whenever the 'fasten seatbelt' sign is on.
*Infants using bassinets must be younger than 2 years old and weigh no more than 20lbs (9kg)"

Link to American Airlines: Traveling with children

** (FT Note: AA Business and First Class seat bulkheads have no bassinet attachment points. Many widebody AA Business seats are at angles to forward - aft and could not be modified to attach bassinets.
Also see:

Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades (FT)

Child “car” seat or safety restraint on AA (not OK in oblique seats) (FT)

Flying With a Baby airline bassinet Information - link.

Have Baby Will Travel airline bassinet information - link.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:27 am
Original Poster

My wife and I taking our son to Japan and back. Flying business back. Does business class have bassinet?

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 11, 2019 at 10:18 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: OW Emerald
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...&postcount=145
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Infant bassinet for Business Class front seats?

i am flying AA736 PHL LHR in Business Class front seats and will have a 8mo with us. AA Exp Plat rep is unable to tell me whether those seats can accommodate a bassinet. How can I figure that out? If they can, how can I ensure that a bassinet can be made available (they are telling me I have to request at check in and it is not guaranteed).

on the way back, i am in coach with Iberia MAD BOS: i got bulkhead seats so hoping I can have a bassinet : same questions but for Iberia, any to increase the chance to get a bassinet and confirm the seat can accommodate it?

thanks!!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
According to the AA website no - don't know if it's accurate but from what I've seen of AA business seats there is no place to attach a bassinet. Also please check the weight limits if bassinet is available on Iberia.

"Infants (under 2 years)

We accept infants as young as 2 days old. However, if you're traveling with an infant less than 7 days old, your physician will be required to fill out a passenger medical form before your flight. A special assistance coordinator will send the form directly to your physician. Infants must be accompanied by a person 16 years or older or by the infant's parent (any age) in the same cabin.
  • Changing tables are available in the lavatories of all wide-body aircraft.
  • Bassinets are available on a first come, first serve basis at the gate for travel only on 767-300, 777-200, 777-300 and 787 aircraft.*
  • Bassinets are not available in First / Business cabins.

Seating options for infants:

1. Held by an adult (lap child): A parent or any person 16 years or older may hold the infant in their lap. The infant must be included in the reservation by calling American Airlines reservations. International taxes and percentage of adult fare may apply.
  2. In a reserved seat: If your infant will travel in their own seat, you must buy a ticket. The infant must either travel in a safety seat approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) or be able to sit upright in their seat without assistance and have their seatbelt securely fastened during taxi, takeoff, landing and whenever the 'fasten seatbelt' sign is on.
*Infants using bassinets must be younger than 2 years old and weigh no more than 20lbs (9kg)"

Originally Posted by sorka
i am flying AA736 PHL LHR in Business Class front seats and will have a 8mo with us. AA Exp Plat rep is unable to tell me whether those seats can accommodate a bassinet. How can I figure that out? If they can, how can I ensure that a bassinet can be made available (they are telling me I have to request at check in and it is not guaranteed).

on the way back, i am in coach with Iberia MAD BOS: i got bulkhead seats so hoping I can have a bassinet : same questions but for Iberia, any to increase the chance to get a bassinet and confirm the seat can accommodate it?

thanks!!
JDiver and TWA884 like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sorka

thanks!!
I think that flight is operated by an Airbus A330-300, so there’s no bassinet option, and there are no bassinets available in First or Business cabins on any AA aircraft. (The floor with an inflatable cushion might be your solution.)

When there are bassinets available on USA and Canada based airlines, they generally are not bookable in advance and are offered on a first come first served basis. Some information indicates AA has a maximum weight of 8.5 kg / 20 lbs for a bassinet occupant.

A useful resource is the bassinet page on Flying With a Baby - link.

Have Baby Will Travel also lists airline bassinet information - link.
Attached Images  
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Ummm.... isn't that what I just posted with the quote from aa below?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:16 am

777 International Premium Economy & Bassinet?

Does anyone know if there is a bassinet position with American Airlines international Premium Economy on the 777 at all?

I think there's probably only one position and that's in Y. But maybe someone knows for sure.

Also does anyone know if the arm rests go up in Y, working out whether it's easier to fly with the toddler and newborn in Y or PE, if the armrests go up Y is often easier as the toddler can stretch out.

Thanks
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by mediamonkey
Does anyone know if there is a bassinet position with American Airlines international Premium Economy on the 777 at all?

I think there's probably only one position and that's in Y. But maybe someone knows for sure.

Also does anyone know if the arm rests go up in Y, working out whether it's easier to fly with the toddler and newborn in Y or PE, if the armrests go up Y is often easier as the toddler can stretch out.

Thanks
Bulkhead seats in Y are MCE and the armrests are fixed. I'd like to bump this question up, I am also trying to confirm if PE has bassinet hooks... I believe I saw a post that said the 77W and 772 had been configured this way.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:12 pm

On the 787-8 does anyone know if the center three seats in premium economy are bassinet capable? I know A/C and J/L are capable but not sure about the center three seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.