Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Things that inspire confidence: announcing weight, balance problem for new plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things that inspire confidence: announcing weight, balance problem for new plane

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HH, Bonvoy

Been cruising around the runways of DFW (to PHX) for twenty minutes now and the captain comes on and goes “Ladies and gentlemen uh, this is your captain speaking, we’re gonna be a few more minutes, this is a relatively new plane to American soooooo.... be right back”.

Looks like were we’re pulling back into the terminal. 😐

EDIT: Load balancing and fuel not right apparently. But one of those open-ended statements that really makes you wonder!

Last edited by Zeromus-X; Jul 29, 2019 at 4:49 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
You should have asked if you extra miles for taxing around the airport
CFM3RD likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
A321 Neo?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by born sleepy
A321 Neo?
That’s the one.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I can see how the whole " we’re gonna be a few more minutes, this is a relatively new plane to American soooooo.... be right back” might sound initially but if you think about it that actually should inspire confidence as shows they know the limits of their abilities. They recognized something was not right and that whatever the issue was they couldn't fix it and thus needed to return to the gate. I'll take "this plane is new to me and we need to return to get something looked at" over "I'm god and know everything, lets go!" anyday.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The pilots (Agents K and J) needed to locate and press the red button.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Once I was on a plane that literally had a tire changed while we were at the gate, on board. It made me think - while happy that a problem was found and resolved, I would have preferred that there were no problems found. Sort of the Occam's Razor of flying.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ryan182
I can see how the whole " we’re gonna be a few more minutes, this is a relatively new plane to American soooooo.... be right back” might sound initially but if you think about it that actually should inspire confidence as shows they know the limits of their abilities. They recognized something was not right and that whatever the issue was they couldn't fix it and thus needed to return to the gate. I'll take "this plane is new to me and we need to return to get something looked at" over "I'm god and know everything, lets go!" anyday.
^
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryan182
Totally agreed, but the vagueness of the statement after we had very obviously been ‘driving around’ for some time on the ground was a little unnerving to the audience! The crew was very communicative about what was going on after we got back to the terminal, and we had no further issues with flight aside from the expected ‘no gate on arrival’ due to how late we were.

On a very tangential note, the tray tables on these new planes (at least in first - I assume they’re the same all over though) are fantastic.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X

Totally agreed, but the vagueness of the statement after we had very obviously been ‘driving around’ for some time on the ground was a little unnerving to the audience! The crew was very communicative about what was going on after we got back to the terminal, and we had no further issues with flight aside from the expected ‘no gate on arrival’ due to how late we were.

On a very tangential note, the tray tables on these new planes (at least in first - I assume they’re the same all over though) are fantastic.
That's about the only thing aside from the extra row of F seats that could fall into that category.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
Once I was on a plane that literally had a tire changed while we were at the gate, on board. It made me think - while happy that a problem was found and resolved, I would have preferred that there were no problems found. Sort of the Occam's Razor of flying.
Given that the tire needed to be changed, I would prefer that they found and changed it than not finding the problem.

Not sure what Occam's Razor has to do with this. What explanation, for what, requires that fewest assumptions? If they found a tire that needed to be repaired, I'd say that presuming the tire was bad and needed to be changed would be the explanation requiring the fewest assumptions.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Think of the plane as your car. Of course, you would rather find a problem with a tire BEFORE you have a blowout on the freeway. Having personally been on a plane where the tire blew on takeoff and rubber got sucked into one of the engines, I NEVER want to experience that again!

To the OP, the captain is human and is more focused on the potential problem than on making a "perfect" announcement. Clearly, the captain was trying to explain why you were returning to the gate without causing much alarm. Perhaps the wording could have been slightly different, but I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.