Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How long after being a no-show does AA cancel remainder of itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond

I preboard and often the GA hasn’t yet opened the flight for boarding when I am sent down and the GA says they will manually check me in. I am always concerned that they may forget and then the rest of my trip will be cancelled. I wish there was a way to see if I am checked in and I think the only way is to confirm the remainder of my itinerary is still active (for international flights I always check bags so if I’m not on board, they will (hopefully) try and see where I am before offloading my bags).

With full flights, it shouldn’t be a problem since if I am not checked in, they will put a standby into my seat and the problem will be revealed. But when not 100% full, that safety net isn’t there.

Thoughts on how to protect myself?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
They'll figure it out even if they forget. Their counts will be off, and they'll go through every seat trying to figure out who they're missing. Or they'll ask you to ring your call button to make sure you're on board. I'd put the chances of them forgetting to board you somewhere between nonexistent and winning the lottery.

As for the actual question being asked, I'd suppose if you tried to board the connection without "boarding" the initial flight, it would already have been cancelled, but maybe others on the board would know with more certainty.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Weight and balance considerations require that the passenger count match. It would take both the GA forgetting to mark you as boarded and the FA doing the passenger count omitting a passenger in order for the passenger count to match.

As to how long, that is a good question. There are people who report that it has happened to them within seconds of the flight closing.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Weight and balance considerations require that the passenger count match. It would take both the GA forgetting to mark you as boarded and the FA doing the passenger count omitting a passenger in order for the passenger count to match.
Well, in principle, it's not hard to have offsetting off-by-one errors in the passenger count. They miss one boarding pass, but then another person scans on but ducks off for some reason and gets missed. Highly unlikely and it doesn't happen often, but I'm a little surprised that it's something I've essentially never seen reported here; I'd think it would happen at least sometimes. I can't think of any AA stations like this, but especially operations where boarding gates lead to many planes, like the Horizon gates at SEA. I would think that it wouldn't be all that unusual for one Pasco passenger to get on the Wenatchee plane while one Wenatchee passenger gets on the Pasco plane. Or one person on the Pasco flight isn't scanned (like the OP is afraid of) while one Wenatchee passenger gets on the Pasco flight. Wenatchee would have a problem, but they might not notice until Pasco is gone.

But again, experience is pretty clear: airlines are pretty careful about who is on their flights for all sorts of reasons (from revenue to security to safety), and they don't flub this up often at all.

Last edited by ashill; Jul 22, 2019 at 1:53 pm
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:42 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Yes, there are certainly stories abound of people flying to the wrong place!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1

As to how long, that is a good question. There are people who report that it has happened to them within seconds of the flight closing.
Or, an FA not fudging it so the count matches to avoid hassles
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve had it happen once. Redeye LAX-BOS with same day return. Tried to check in upon landing and couldn’t. Called and they said my itinerary was cancelled because I hadn’t taken the outbound. Confirmed I was in Boston and they reinstated the itinerary so I could check in.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Thanks, everyone. I will continue to monitor my flights in the app after boarding. When cancelled, does AA immediately send an email or is that as inconsistent as everything else AA does?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Thanks, everyone. I will continue to monitor my flights in the app after boarding. When cancelled, does AA immediately send an email or is that as inconsistent as everything else AA does?
If your ticket is cancelled because AA thinks you're a no-show (or you no-show'd on a previous flight thus cancelling the rest of the itinerary) then you typically will not receive any email or other notification from AA.

If you happen to have booked the ticket through an OTA or other travel agent then sometimes you will get a notification from them once the cancellation fully flows through the system, but not directly from AA.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
This might help: If you go to prefunds.aa.com/refunds, select Request a Receipt and enter the ticket number/last name, you'll be able to see what coupon(s) were used. Presumably, if your check-in was cancelled due to a no show, the coupon(s) in question would not say "USED" as the system does when you fly a segment, and I'm guessing future coupon(s) would no longer say "OK". Note that I've never tested what happens on a no show, so whether "USED" or "OK" is changed to something else is not guaranteed, just something to consider.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
It's happened to me where the BP wasn't scanned on leg 1 and somehow the count was correct. I arrived at CLT knowing nothing BP didn't scan for the second leg and the GA quickly resolved this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.