Search

No change fee to change ticket (?)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
No change fee to change ticket (?)

So I'm headed to LHR next month. I was able to redeem a SWU at booking (booked the ticket a few months ago) and my routing is leave early to RDU (in Y) then enjoy a 5 hour plus layover before heading off at 6:05 PM to LHR on a 772. Not the best way to go but I was able to redeem an SWU so that's all that mattered really.

I happened to be looking at EF today and noticed that C1 was available for AA 80 non stop out of DFW on the same day. The obvious advantages of taking that flight are clear so for kicks and giggles I called the EXP line to see what the change cost would be. I was expecting the fare difference this close plus change fee to be prohibitive but why not just check. The total cost to change the ticket and re-apply the SWU was $100.50. That's it. I asked him twice are you sure that's the price and he said "YES" and confirmed it. I checked citi to make sure and sure enough that's all the charges there are from AA (albeit pending). When I got the ticket re-issue email this was at the bottom:

ADDITIONAL FARE COLLECTION $ 100.50

TICKET CHANGE $ 275. 00

That $275 wasn't charged to me. Anyone know why?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
The new fare must have been $175 less than what you originally paid, so they charged the $275 change fee plus the fare difference but because the new fare is lower, you only owe $100. Well done.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by no1cub17
The new fare must have been $175 less than what you originally paid, so they charged the $275 change fee plus the fare difference but because the new fare is lower, you only owe $100. Well done.
That doesn't marry with what the OP is reporting

The airline has said that there is an additional fare collection of $100.50 - so implies a higher fare

Also looking at AA's fare rules for economy on that route

Originally Posted by aa
--------------------------------------------------
WHEN THE NEW ITINERARY RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE THE
CHANGE FEE WILL BE APPLIED -AND- NO REFUND WILL
BE MADE HOWEVER THE DIFFERENCE IN FARE WILL BE R
ETURNED TO THE PASSENGER IN THE FORM OF A NON-REFU
NDABLE TRAVEL VOUCHER WHICH MAY BE APPLIED TOWARDS
THE PURCHASE OF A TICKET VALID FOR
TRANSPORTATION GOVERNED BY AA ONLY.
The passenger would be charged the $275 and , if fare was lower, be given a voucher for the fare difference

I would be checking credit card to see whether a $275 fee appears , but otherwise does look like agent error in your favour , save $275
enpremiere and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good info thanks. I’ll continue to monitor Citi. Of course if it does indeed hit ($275) I’ll have zero recourse if I call AA and tell them the agent confirmed twice $100.50.
AA100k likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Good info thanks. I’ll continue to monitor Citi. Of course if it does indeed hit ($275) I’ll have zero recourse if I call AA and tell them the agent confirmed twice $100.50.
That would be very strange IMO but I guess it could happen. I thought with AA's new system the agents wouldn't even have the ability to do this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is unlikely that AA will change the charge. Rather, the ticket will have an add/collect which will inhibit check-in until the amount due is paid.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
It is unlikely that AA will change the charge. Rather, the ticket will have an add/collect which will inhibit check-in until the amount due is paid.
I will definitely update this next month!
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
I’ve had this on multiple occasions where the new ticket is less than the original purchase. And it breaks out just like OP listed.

Example: on May 4, I bought a ticket for a total cost of $522.59. On June 17, I changed it, and the new total fare (fare plus taxes and fees) was now $494.59: a decrease in cost of $28.00.

On my change receipt it said:
  • Additional fare collection $172.00
  • Ticket change $200
Note the $28 difference.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Beachfun71
I’ve had this on multiple occasions where the new ticket is less than the original purchase. And it breaks out just like OP listed.

Example: on May 4, I bought a ticket for a total cost of $522.59. On June 17, I changed it, and the new total fare (fare plus taxes and fees) was now $494.59: a decrease in cost of $28.00.

On my change receipt it said:
  • Additional fare collection $172.00
  • Ticket change $200
Note the $28 difference.
Just found and old ticket where I'd made a similar change and it's listed the same way. So I think OP lucked out with a lower fare.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Either the new fare was lower and thus the total difference you owed, including the change fee, was the $100.50.

Or, perhaps the agent entered a waiver code and waived the change fee. I can't speak to how common this is on AA but it is common on DL, especially for elite guests who are changing to other flights on the same day for upgrade purposes (it is totally discretionary).

Either way, why wait a month? Just call and ask now what the agent did. Neither is exceptional nor will they undo it; what's done is done. Just ask if the change fee was waived and/or what the new/current fare calculation for the ticket is.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Either way, why wait a month? Just call and ask now what the agent did. Neither is exceptional nor will they undo it; what's done is done. Just ask if the change fee was waived and/or what the new/current fare calculation for the ticket is.
Nope. AA isn’t delta. I don’t want to call and give them a reason to see what happened.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Nope. AA isn’t delta. I don’t want to call and give them a reason to see what happened.
So you're saying that AA would "fix" an error even after they've reissued the ticket?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
So you're saying that AA would "fix" an error even after they've reissued the ticket?
I have no idea. I do know I don't want to give them any reason to charge me something they should have or could have initially.

I guess I'll see at the 24 hr mark when I do OLCI.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Have you tried comparing the email receipts from the original purchase to the change? I could be wrong, but I am guessing the “Ticket Total” #’s will reflect the difference, and the new ticket will be less than the original.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That doesn't marry with what the OP is reporting

The airline has said that there is an additional fare collection of $100.50 - so implies a higher fare

The passenger would be charged the $275 and , if fare was lower, be given a voucher for the fare difference
AA lets you use residual ticket value if the new ticket is less towards the total add/collect, which would include the change fee. US, after the merger with HP, used to separately charge the change fee and do as you stated, but that's not how AA handles it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.