Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance issues / questions for AA redemption on Etihad / EY (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage allowance issues / questions for AA redemption on Etihad / EY (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I reached out to EY and they replied back woth this snapshot showing there is no bags (see last column). Looks like more fun phoning AA shortly.

Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:52 pm

Unfortunately the only solution I’m aware of is to get AA to have their helpdesk re-issue the ticket. You need a sympathetic supervisor who is open to understanding this is a real issue and willing to advocate to their helpdesk on your behalf. I wonder if AU call center might be a better way. Give it a shot.

Originally Posted by alanslegal
I reached out to EY and they replied back woth this snapshot showing there is no bags (see last column). Looks like more fun phoning AA shortly.

Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Unfortunately the only solution I’m aware of is to get AA to have their helpdesk re-issue the ticket. You need a sympathetic supervisor who is open to understanding this is a real issue and willing to advocate to their helpdesk on your behalf. I wonder if AU call center might be a better way. Give it a shot.
Thanks, the last AU AAgent seemed very willing to assist even calling their EY counterpart. Ill call again shortly. I know we are ages away before we take these flights but rather get this sorted before we get to the airport;theres 4 of us on the same flight with no bags (180kgs between 4) and then get charged $3600 for 100kgs.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:41 pm

alanslegal you might consider calling the fiji or new zeland call center. They are very easy to work with and very helpful. Just a suggestion.
alanslegal likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by jmj9905
alanslegal you might consider calling the fiji or new zeland call center. They are very easy to work with and very helpful. Just a suggestion.
Just called, helpful AAgent, from AA's end - it says there is 50kg baggage, referred to supervisor and support team - whom also confirmed same.

Mentioned to AAgent that EY is very clear that there is no baggage on their end, so I was put on hold whilst agent contacted EY. EY told AAgent that there was no baggage included, however was told EY was surprised given that these are first class tickets. EY has escalated it on their end however was told to call back in 48 hours to see if there is any updates. AAgent said if it can't be resolved, ticket may need to be reissued - which is consistent with the above examples.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Is this effecting any OAL? I ask cause I just had issue with an AA issued CX award. CX showed zero allowance. It should've been 50kg and luckily agent knew this, but their system showed zero on the AA issued ticket.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Is this effecting any OAL? I ask cause I just had issue with an AA issued CX award. CX showed zero allowance. It should've been 50kg and luckily agent knew this, but their system showed zero on the AA issued ticket.
CX's system is buggy in general. I don't know if this still happens, but last time I bought a J ticket via CX's website, it told me there would be no AAdvantage earnings, which obviously isn't true, and the miles posted just as expected per the AA chart.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 4:07 pm

alanslegal. Did you call AA in US or Fiji?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by jmj9905
alanslegal. Did you call AA in US or Fiji?
I've been calling the AU number, which diverts to Fiji right?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:28 am

alanslegal I believe that is correct.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:14 pm

My friend's AA award ticket from SYD - LHR in Business just updated and she now has a 40kg checked bag available for her flight tonight. Wonder what fixed it...
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by lmross
My friend's AA award ticket from SYD - LHR in Business just updated and she now has a 40kg checked bag available for her flight tonight. Wonder what fixed it...
Hi, when are they travelling? And did they originally have no baggage ie Buy Baggage if checked on EY, and then now 40kg shows?

Also, I contacted AA again for my situation. Still no resolution. AA contacted EY who then suggested maybe since we are flying so far out (July 2020) that their (EY's) ticket has not been updated to include baggage - and to call again in a week or two. AA is adamant that baggage is included but for some reason EY is not seeing this on their ticket side.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:57 am

They traveled yesterday and the ticket was updated the morning of travel. I got an email from AA with her reservation and in the payment column it said "exchange" so I went to Etihad's website to see what changed and *bam* she had a checked bag (if you scroll through the thread I post my interactions with Etihad and such - she did not have a checked bag before and there was no indication Etihad (and later when I contacted AA) was going to fix it). It was a nice surprise and my friend who had been planning on just to go with a carry on, ending up checking the bag with no issues. No idea who fixed it or why.
alanslegal likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by lmross
They traveled yesterday and the ticket was updated the morning of travel. I got an email from AA with her reservation and in the payment column it said "exchange" so I went to Etihad's website to see what changed and *bam* she had a checked bag (if you scroll through the thread I post my interactions with Etihad and such - she did not have a checked bag before and there was no indication Etihad (and later when I contacted AA) was going to fix it). It was a nice surprise and my friend who had been planning on just to go with a carry on, ending up checking the bag with no issues. No idea who fixed it or why.
Thank you for your quick repy.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by WFBtheV
Just tried to get this fixed again and the AA rep spoke to a supervisor who said this is a known issue, and Etihad check-in agents know not to charge. The agent and I both agreed that that might be true in even the majority of cases, but would still be risky if you get the wrong check-in agent. Unfortunately she said she couldn't re-issue the ticket without more space being available, or risking losing the seats.

Unsure what to do now. Could go carry-on only but I'd rather not. Could assume everything will be fine and plan on calling AA at check-in if necessary, but that still seems slightly risky.
Update after checking in: no problems at all. May be noteworthy, though, that the check in agent was not an Etihad employee, and I believe in one of the instances of having to pay a baggage fee I read, it seemed like the check in agent had to actually notice that there was zero bags.
CodeAdam10 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.