Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Which do you prefer? Connect via ORD or DFW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which do you prefer? Connect via ORD or DFW?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, AA Exec Plat, KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Hmm, not always. May 8, 2019 (technically not April but still Spring), morning thunderstorms screwed up DFW so badly that my late afternoon DFW-SAN flight was delayed then cancelled an hour after boarding and sitting at the gate. And there wasn't any more rain after 10am or so.

But overall I would still pick DFW over ORD.
That happened to me too but the other way around! Was flying from SAN-DFW and my flight got completely cancelled and I was rerouted. But I think that was the first time out of 60+ flights through DFW that it ever happened.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Desirees
Amazing replies - thank you, all - for weighing in. My mind is made up DFW it is...
good luck with that flight in that season. Just looked at what you are considering. While the 530 am flight to JFK-NRT is super early, the spring weather would not be as likely as going through DFW or ORD.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I like DFW much better than ORD.

Remember that on the return at ORD a transfer from T5 to T3 is needed. I hate that transfer. Definitely avoid ORD on the return
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat

ORD Marriott concierge lounge
At the ORD Marriott tonight. Two hour delay to arrive at ORD, then no gates open for the 737 to park. Watched as my connecting flight turned into a pumpkin.

But for IRROPS, ORD is pretty good. Caught the free shuttle to the Ohare Marriott, before going for pizza thought to check out the concierge lounges, a very nice spread (picture attached), especially for after 8pm. Passed on getting an uber to find pizza.

If one is going to get stuck overnight at a major AA hub, ORD is pretty good place to overnight..... although I wished I had connected at DFW as I will be late for my east coast meeting tomorrow.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT
ORD taxi times are certainly absurdly long, but for everyone complaining about them: is your flight actually arriving past scheduled arrival time as a result? Block times include taxi time, not just flying, so even though you may think you're landing "early", AA certainly knows that you're probably arriving in Rosemont and taking side streets to get to your gate and factoring that in your flying time.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone

ORD Marriott concierge lounge
At the ORD Marriott tonight. Two hour delay to arrive at ORD, then no gates open for the 737 to park. Watched as my connecting flight turned into a pumpkin.

But for IRROPS, ORD is pretty good. Caught the free shuttle to the Ohare Marriott, before going for pizza thought to check out the concierge lounges, a very nice spread (picture attached), especially for after 8pm. Passed on getting an uber to find pizza.

If one is going to get stuck overnight at a major AA hub, ORD is pretty good place to overnight..... although I wished I had connected at DFW as I will be late for my east coast meeting tomorrow.
Nothing beats the Grand Hyatt DFW—mere steps from the D23 security. But if you have to take a shuttle to any of the DFW hotels, definitely add an extra hour, so in that regard ORD is slightly better.

I think a year ago, I might have said I prefer DFW to ORD unequivocally. But I have had horrible luck with IRROPs recently when going through DFW (it seems like there have been severe storms every week I've flown through DFW this year). I actually have had pretty good luck with ORD—and for coast-to-coast flying, an ORD connection cuts down on the amount of flying by a few hundred miles.
GunsOfNavarone and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
sidebar related question. I am flying lhr-ord-dfw next month. I haven't connected at O'Hare in years but it was when the train worked at least. How does one get their butt over from 5 to 3 now?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
sidebar related question. I am flying lhr-ord-dfw next month. I haven't connected at O'Hare in years but it was when the train worked at least. How does one get their butt over from 5 to 3 now?
Sitting in ORD right now and just heard the announcement- take a shuttle bus from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3, as the tram is under renovations. Not so much fun catching a terminal bus at ORD . Once the tram is operational again, going from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3, and even getting a rental car is supposed to be much easier.

By the way, at AA's newest gates at ORD, L gates for regional flights. Terminal is completely dead, great place to plug in and get work done in a empty, quiet, and open setting.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
I had the same option for the same basic question a couple weeks ago. We chose ORD instead of DFW.

PHL --> ORD --> NRT on AA to JL in F.

My daughter said 'Oh isn't Chicago where we had that really good popcorn'....... So yes, on an International F award - the popcorn in ORD made the connection decision for us.
DFW now has Garretts too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.