Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

A modest proposal to improve the boarding situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A modest proposal to improve the boarding situation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Having the unused numbers work out so well seems hard to fathom. Why not just state you can board in your group or any group thereafter? After all, that is how it works in practice right now. Thus, #20 joins #45 boarding with the #41 - 60 group and nobody cares.
it's just that when i'm in group 3 and my kids have group 6 or 7 printed on theirs, the GA always says we can board together, so they move up in order rather than I move down
it's overly complicated, was just a rando idea.
staff is too lazy to enforce what we have now so who knows.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GLD, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
So what - why would UA care if people lined up earlier?
simple, people lingering around may block others deplaning, which may lead to delays (when flights land and dep in a matter of minutes). also, it may block access to GA desk for those that need something from the GA. i could go on and on....
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:51 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Well in the case of poorly laid out lanes, I suppose so....
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The fallacy in the OP is that charging for checked bags leads to delays in boarding. Those in the first groups are either seated in F, have status, or a CC and thus don't pay for at least a first checked bag. WN does not charge for the first two checked bags for all passengers and it is even worse.

One has to accept that the boarding process is not designed for speed, but to make people feel marginally special for status.
There are (approximately) two reasons why people carry bags on board. I do, simply because I don't like waiting for baggage claim. Whatever happened to "We'll get your bag to Baggage Claim before you do"? The other is to avoid the charge for a checked bag. A few may have fears of lost or delayed luggage.

I've been flying long enough to remember that the way that planes were boarded were First Class first, then by rows, starting at the rear. If you wanted to board early, you chose a seat in the rear. But back in those days, passengers could start lining up at the door as soon as the wheels touched the ground, so those seated in the back often made a mad dash to get off first. I don't remember any fights breaking out. And some flights de-planed from both the front and rear, but that was when they had stairways rather than jetways.

For a while there was some experimentation in boarding windows first, or from the middle to front and rear, but none of those seemed as efficient as loading the rear first and moving forward.

Too many "entitled" passengers these days, I guess. I can say that because after retirement I don't fly enough to have status on any airline. It's why I fly Southwest when I can, check in on line precisely 24 hours before flight time, and have always been able to pick a reasonable seat with overhead space.

These days there are so many fare, and hence, boarding classes that it's no longer a case of First Class and Everyone Else, so they use access to carry-on space as a premium. If there was a clear break point (like First and Coach) I'd acknowledge that First could board first and do whatever they want with their bags
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:19 am

Easiest Boarding Solution

The easiest solution to address the boarding situation is to not charge any passenger for up to two checked bags. With fewer carry-on bags this will eliminate the competition to get on the plane early. Then the zones could be for back of the plane and window seats first. Of course greedy airlines want to hide fees and charge for a checked bag. So the only way to address this is to charge an equal amount for a carry-on bag which is harder to manage.
The fewer carry-on bags the easier the boarding process. You won't have 4' 11" old ladies trying to carry on all of their luggage and slowing the process down.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:21 am

Just a thought

It would appear the baggage situation got out of hand when the greed of the airlines (Some) wanted to charge for checked bags, profit over service. The greed changed flying culture, people cramp things into smaller cases to save paying fees and use overhead bin space. The rule being 1 carry-on and 1 personal item. How many women do we see with, 1 case, 1 laptop bag and a purse, sort of violates the rules. a trick is to take your bag to the gate and then have the GA check it in free for you.
Perhaps corner cutting Doug at AA might consider charging a couple of dollars more for a ticket and revert back to free checked bags?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by tfizzle
I'm not sure what Japan Airlines does, but I was leaving a lounge 40 minutes before a JAL international flight and the attendant said, "boarding is not open yet, they open boarding 20 minutes before departure"

I didn't believe her, but she was right. Boarding open 20 minutes before departure and we pushed back 20 minutes later.It happened on both my flights.. So whatever JAL is doing they are doing it right
Actually was going to point out something similar. They boarded a full 500-pax 777 HND-OKA in less than 20 minutes. Amazing
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:12 am

The current group number system is fine, it is just haphazardly enforced. Southwest ques people up strictly according to boarding pass number. I fly almost entirely on AA but I see that other airlines have ques set up with group numbers. AA should consider the same. It is frustrating to be in Group 2 coach and see 40 people people board with group 1, then to get onto the flight and not be able to find a bin space. AA should crack down on group jumpers. Many of my flights are in and out in the same day. I pay a premium (or loyalty to a vendor) to not have to check a bag, have the rental car waiting, have valet parking at the airport, etc... because I have to move quickly. I avoid checking bags to the extent that I Fedex large bags and trade show displays etc... to avoid waiting. I recently had a first, Envoy lost my valet bag (not gate check, I handed it to the person at the door of the plane) and took an hour to locate it. I buy suits with two pair of pants so that I can wear the same coat every day and switch out the pants. I pack extremely light. I spend over $20k a year on AA. Yes, I want my perqs and I pay for them.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Davis Hopkins
The easiest solution to address the boarding situation is to not charge any passenger for up to two checked bags. With fewer carry-on bags this will eliminate the competition to get on the plane early. Then the zones could be for back of the plane and window seats first. Of course greedy airlines want to hide fees and charge for a checked bag. So the only way to address this is to charge an equal amount for a carry-on bag which is harder to manage.
The fewer carry-on bags the easier the boarding process. You won't have 4' 11" old ladies trying to carry on all of their luggage and slowing the process down.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Originally Posted by Berniecfc
It would appear the baggage situation got out of hand when the greed of the airlines (Some) wanted to charge for checked bags, profit over service. The greed changed flying culture, people cramp things into smaller cases to save paying fees and use overhead bin space. The rule being 1 carry-on and 1 personal item. How many women do we see with, 1 case, 1 laptop bag and a purse, sort of violates the rules. a trick is to take your bag to the gate and then have the GA check it in free for you.
Perhaps corner cutting Doug at AA might consider charging a couple of dollars more for a ticket and revert back to free checked bags?
American Airlines, the world’s largest airline, brought in $1.2 billion in baggage fee revenue last year, the highest among U.S. carriers. link
I’m not seeing Doug Parker giving up $1.2 billion in revenue that easily...
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
I don't know why people suffer so much with this issue.

The problem started when bags got wheels and airlines started to charged for checked luggage.

Wheels made it easier for people to lug 30 pounds of stuff for miles and they are not going to go away.

So we have the fees left. Reverse them and problem is solved. Carry on is FULL price ($40) and checked in is HALF price ($20).

Credit Card holders are not exempt from this rule but they do get FREE checked in luggage as always.

Only PRIORITY Boarding Passes can bring Carry on luggage on board. Yes, FF Elite Members do get PRIORITY so cry all you want about that rule.

People that pay the carry on fee get PRIORITY boarding as well, say with the bottom Elite tier or their own special tier.

That will solve the problem of people hauling in the kitchen sink to avoid bag fees, increases airline revenue, and makes for a better flight experience.

I would say over 50% of bags on carry on today would end up in the belly of the beast ($cha-ching$) rather than using up bin space,
There would always be open space and the whole stress thing goes away. Why board early if space will be there for ya anyway.

Simple as that.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I agree some form of charging for carryons would force people to check more bags. Some of this has become the current state of affairs. The "I'm in Group 9 and I don't want to wait to board so I'll just rush the gate." Unfortunately too many GAs don't turn them away. This seems to have gotten a lot worse in the past couple of years. To the point where there's pushing and shoving. Group 1 is called for a 738 and 50 people rush the gate.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Charging for bags has nothing to do with obeying the rules.

AA has done an increasingly good job of cracking down and, when it does, boarding is a lot better. For what it is worth, bags are free for those in the early BG's, e.g. F, credit card, status and those folks are just as "bad" as the rest.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
As group 2 I stand near the beginning of the end of the pole line so 1 can pass through. Funny enough Group 2 has to be and usually seems the shortest group since it's EXP's that didn't get upgraded lol

Sometimes I get a quick glance at people's boarding passes and most of them are high 7-8-9 so I don[t understand their logic.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
No doubt to me that luggage handling in the back is what slows everything down. Of course, F passengers want their PDB anyways and that service usually takes place (domestically) when the boarding process repeatedly stalls.

I would bet the number 1 reason group 6-9 customers don't check bags is because of the fees. When my brother and his three kids aged 6-12 fly, they bring 4 rollaboards and 4 backpacks every time. If a GA doesn't gate check their bags for free, boarding will take 5 extra minutes just from them to get on and settled.

I would bet the number 1 reason group 1-5 customers don't check bags is because of the wait at baggage claim. This is the -only- reason I hesitate checking bags (I can deal with loss luggage just fine, I just really hate landing at 11PM and waiting at luggage claim until after midnight -- that often means I lost a night credit with my hotel program).

AA should try to tackle both issues if they cared about boarding times.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The boarding system is not designed to cut the boarding time. There is no basis to board F orr elites before others (especially on a single door aircraft), other than to "recognize" better customers. While there are all manner of arguments about what is the best and fastest approach, no method involves boarding the guy in Row 1 before Row 30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.