Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

due to weather, agent rebooked me to wrong airport 7900 miles away, should I fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

due to weather, agent rebooked me to wrong airport 7900 miles away, should I fly?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I can’t wait until the OP solves this riddle for us all. It’s been fun, ladies and gentlemen.
moondog, RoyalFlush, Gerbs and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by irishguy28
And I have come up with a possible explanation for that subsequent edit.

The OP may not be an expert in US visa requirements, and came back to say "I know I don't need a visa because I have entered there before on this passport, but I can't speak for all US passport holders, so YMMV!!!"
This would be a stretch as we've already ruled out doing such a (leisure) trip on an official or diplomatic passport and I think it's unlikely that OP has a child's passport. Should we believe that the OP thinks he/she is visa exempt because the passport number is prime???
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
I read this change request as a convenience/preference, because his hotel/house may have been closer to either IAH or HOU.
Yes, that makes sense, and makes CLT-PGV more likely in my mind again.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
OK, but that doesn't address my point about the CLT-PGV bottleneck.

If Airport A was Hobby and Airport B was Houston Intercontinental, it doesn't appear logical to request to change from one to the other, if the problem is with the CLT-PGV flight ("East Coast" weather).
OP wasn’t at the airport, so he chose the one most convenient to his (future) location given the IRROPS situation. Given the Houston airports are separated 25 miles as the crow flies, he probably saved himself a big commute.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This would be a stretch as we've already ruled out doing such a (leisure) trip on an official or diplomatic passport and I think it's unlikely that OP has a child's passport. Should we believe that the OP thinks he/she is visa exempt because the passport number is prime???
No need to resort to diplomatic passports, child's passports, or anything other than a normal US passport.

The OP first posted a blanket statement that all US citizens enjoy a visa exemption. Then thought better of that, and said that they enjoy a visa exemption as a US citizen.

I could say that: All Irish citizens can enter the US under the visa waiver program without a visa. This is true for the vast majority of Irish citizens, but is, of course, incorrect as a blanket statement - there are many reasons why holders of passports from a visa waiver exempt country may, in fact, require a visa to enter the US.

That is all. A realisation that the OP can't issue a blanket guarantee on visa-exempt entry, or realised that such exemptions aren't always extended to all citizens of a certain country.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Ok, let me recap, the most likely scenario is that instead of flying Houston-CLT-PGV, he was booked on Houston-LAX-PVG, and he is coming back PVG-FRA-EWR on UA. Chinese visa or TWOV, either way, it doesn't matter. And then he hoofs it from EWR to PGV. .. Or has added two more segments on the return ticket.

This seems to satisfy best all of the things we know and appears to be the most plausible scenario.
moondog and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
Ok, let me recap, the most likely scenario is that instead of flying Houston-CLT-PGV, he was booked on Houston-LAX-PVG, and he is coming back PVG-FRA-EWR on UA. Chinese visa or TWOV, either way, it doesn't matter. And then he hoofs it from EWR to PGV. .. Or has added two more segments on the return ticket.

This seems to satisfy best all of the things we know and appears to be the most plausible scenario.
Please, OP, confirm or deny!!!
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
OK, but that doesn't address my point about the CLT-PGV bottleneck.

If Airport A was Hobby and Airport B was Houston Intercontinental, it doesn't appear logical to request to change from one to the other, if the problem is with the CLT-PGV flight ("East Coast" weather).
It's possible that an IAH-CLT-PGV route had a delay on IAH-CLT that would break the connection in CLT; but there was a HOU-DFW-CLT-PGV route available.

Aircraft could be delayed due to storms/weather elsewhere in it's routing earlier that day. It's not necessarily weather in CLT.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:45 pm

he’s just posted over on the Swiss board. No doubt having a good laugh at us from a dim sum palace in SHA.
irishguy28, wrp96 and 24left like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bse118
It's possible that an IAH-CLT-PGV route had a delay on IAH-CLT that would break the connection in CLT; but there was a HOU-DFW-CLT-PGV route available.

Aircraft could be delayed due to storms/weather elsewhere in it's routing earlier that day. It's not necessarily weather in CLT.
Indeed.

Or that, as suggested in post 217, the OP simply took the opportunity of the rebooking arising from IRROPS to merely change the ticket to depart from the closer and more convenient airport.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ubiest

he’s just posted over on the Swiss board. No doubt having a good laugh at us from a dim sum palace in SHA.
And the OP now needs a cruise to get home!!!

I've asked them to report back to this thread, urgently....
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
If we are right, then OP is either on UA961 which just landed an hour ago at EWR, or he is on tomorrow's flight, and may be on a flight from PVG-FRA right now. Given his last posting (asking about seating on the 787-10) was at 1:11 am, either are possible....
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
If we are right, then OP is either on UA961 which just landed an hour ago at EWR, or he is on tomorrow's flight, and may be on a flight from PVG-FRA right now. Given his last posting (asking about seating on the 787-10) was at 1:11 am, either are possible....
The OP just posted over in the LH M&M thread in the past half hour...
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
FT was made for threads like this! The great mystery of July 2019 . . .
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
no chance, yesterday at 1030 Los Angeles time he was dithering whether to go to China, so he would have been either in Houston or LAX. The AA183 LAX-PVG departs at 1200 Los Angeles time, so if he did get onboard that flight yesterday, he would have arrived in Shanghai about 12 hours ago. If he’s on today’s, then there’s many hours of transpacific joy ahead of him.

Or or maybe this is all one A380 sized red herring
irishguy28 and nk15 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.