Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

due to weather, agent rebooked me to wrong airport 7900 miles away, should I fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

due to weather, agent rebooked me to wrong airport 7900 miles away, should I fly?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Assuming that OP used words precisely, to me this suggests either TWOV or OCI.
But it's apparent the OP didn't use words precisely.

It's still not been resolved what relevance the "East Coast" had to the discussion; whether it was the origin or the connection point was originally a point of contention (and unresolved); going on PVG/PGV, it now appears that East Coast was both the connection AND the presumed destination, so the "disruption" would not have been minimised by flying out of a different airport - the end result was always going to be that difficult CLT-PGV flight; it's the only way AA could get there [or anybody else; the only flights to PGV are on AA from CLT, there are no other routes or operators], so it doesn't seem to be a logical thing for the OP to have asked to fly from a different airport.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"Does not require" is not at all the same as "already have visa." There could be a different interpretation if the OP had written, for example, "does not require me to apply for a visa."

Assuming that OP used words precisely, to me this suggests either TWOV or OCI.

I don’t know of any informed US citizen OCI holders who would present India as a place where US citizens don’t generally need visas. OCI itself is effectively a glorified long term visa for people with Indian grandparental/parental connections or marital connections (to an OCI visa holder or OCI visa-eligible holder).
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I don’t know of any informed US citizen OCI holders who would present India as a place where US citizens don’t generally need visas. OCI itself is effectively a glorified long term visa for people with Indian grandparental/parental connections or marital connections (to an OCI visa holder or OCI visa-eligible holder).
Indeed.

Despite the addition of "(in my situation)" in the sentence "I do have my passport with me and the wrong airport does not require visa for US citizens.(edit: in my situation) ", I tend to think that the destination must be one where *ANY* US passport holder is not required to hold a visa. But indeed, it is a strange way to phrase it - but implying that there is something different about this US citizen's status with regard to this country does not mean the OP is an expert at the immigration rules of that country for US citizens. It may just have been meant as "Speaking for myself, I know I don't need a visa - but YMMV!"

Otherwise, OLCI would surely have been a problem, and the agent is unlikely to have been able to convert a domestic ticket into an international one demanding passport/API information....
nk15 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

No, the OP said that no visa was needed in his/her situation; there was no claim that a visa generally wasn't needed.....and a lot of USA citizens are extremely clueless about visas, often making assumptions that one situation applies to another and not bothering to check until someone gets an unwelcome surprise at an airport.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by irishguy28
But it's apparent the OP didn't use words precisely.

It's still not been resolved what relevance the "East Coast" had to the discussion; whether it was the origin or the connection point was originally a point of contention (and unresolved); going on PVG/PGV, it now appears that East Coast was both the connection AND the presumed destination, so the "disruption" would not have been minimised by flying out of a different airport - the end result was always going to be that difficult CLT-PGV flight; it's the only way AA could get there [or anybody else; the only flights to PGV are on AA from CLT, there are no other routes or operators], so it doesn't seem to be a logical thing for the OP to have asked to fly from a different airport.
I've been able to do OLCI for my China TWOV itineraries, although the boarding pass prints automatically as "visa required" even though the PNR/ticket (one one) is clearly TWOV compliant.
spin88 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Indeed.

Despite the addition of "(in my situation)" in the sentence "I do have my passport with me and the wrong airport does not require visa for US citizens.(edit: in my situation) ", I tend to think that the destination must be one where *ANY* US passport holder is not required to hold a visa. But indeed, it is a strange way to phrase it - but implying that there is something different about this US citizen's status with regard to this country does not mean the OP is an expert at the immigration rules of that country for US citizens. It may just have been meant as "Speaking for myself, I know I don't need a visa - but YMMV!"

Otherwise, OLCI would surely have been a problem, and the agent is unlikely to have been able to convert a domestic ticket into an international one demanding passport/API information....
APIS info isn’t generally required to make an international flight booking from the US. And it’s not generally needed to do a ticket exchange either.

While SecureFlight data is extracted from APIS data so it (SF data) need not be entered separately when APIS is completed, it is SecureFlight data that is generally needed to make a booking for domestic US flights and for international flights to/from the USA. All while the APIS data can all be loaded at check-in itself. This dynamic with APIS is why the USG doesn’t want passengers to be allowed to check in for international flights from the US without having enough time to run the APIS info for exit control purposes.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 20, 2019 at 1:15 pm
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the OP said that no visa was needed in his/her situation; there was no claim that a visa generally wasn't needed.....
But look at the original statement (prior to subsequent editing) again:

"I do have my passport with me and the wrong airport does not require visa for US citizens"
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

APIS info isn’t always required to make an international flight booking from the US. And it’s not generally needed to do a ticket exchange either.
Good to know.

The OP merely says that OLCI worked - neglecting to say whether or not API information had to be filled in, or was automatically detected from his/her AA account, etc...
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:11 pm

But look at the original statement (prior to subsequent editing) again:

"I do have my passport with me and the wrong airport does not require visa for US citizens"
You've omitted the next three very important words: in my situation.
GUWonder and spin88 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been able to do OLCI for my China TWOV itineraries, although the boarding pass prints automatically as "visa required" even though the PNR/ticket (one one) is clearly TWOV compliant.
OK, but that doesn't address my point about the CLT-PGV bottleneck.

If Airport A was Hobby and Airport B was Houston Intercontinental, it doesn't appear logical to request to change from one to the other, if the problem is with the CLT-PGV flight ("East Coast" weather).
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I have come up with a possible explanation for that subsequent edit.

The OP may not be an expert in US visa requirements, and came back to say "I know I don't need a visa because I have entered there before on this passport, but I can't speak for all US passport holders, so YMMV!!!"
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
OK, but that doesn't address my point about the CLT-PGV bottleneck.

If Airport A was Hobby and Airport B was Houston Intercontinental, it doesn't appear logical to request to change from one to the other, if the problem is with the CLT-PGV flight ("East Coast" weather).
I read this change request as a convenience/preference, because his hotel/house may have been closer to either IAH or HOU.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:18 pm
Suspended

No, the OP said that no visa was needed in his/her situation; there was no claim that a visa generally wasn't needed.....and a lot of USA citizens are extremely clueless about visas, often making assumptions that one situation applies to another and not bothering to check until someone gets an unwelcome surprise at an airport.
The OP has been around the block long enough that I would say he’s not clueless about what US citizens need for the destination in question.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just hope the OP comes back and fills in the all the missing info!!!
RoyalFlush and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
That is what seals it for me. Not only does the mileage line up perfectly with what OP said, but China is one of the very few places where you would assume no via was required, then come back and say "in my situation". Most Americans would not think a via was needed for China, and then the OP came back and corrected his statement - it was not needed because he was going via FRA, a third country. And this detail lines up with the UA flight being on the 787-10, which only flies a few routes, one of which is FRA-EWR.

My guess is that OP posted, then modified his post once he figured out the visa waiver issue with China.

Finally, I think that the "mistyped" place would need to be someplace that (a) AA flew, and (b) you could get a last minute mileage ticket back from, (c) that if misdone, you might say "well hell, I want to go there"; and would not immediately raise suspicians as it was a code folks would know (e.g. BNA for BCN, although that requires a letter change, while OP said it was just scrambled). No place but PVG fit that bill, and I can't think of any paired city other than PGV where AA flies, but UA does not, and so that a UA elite flyer (or one with enough miles for a last minute ticket back to the US) would be on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.