Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA flights with no air conditioning on ground becoming regular occurrence?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA flights with no air conditioning on ground becoming regular occurrence?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by gateH15
Do pilots have an AC just in cockpit while it’s off in the cabin?
when it is that hot I wonder how do they deal with it. And how come FAs are not complaining to unions about unsafe working conditions ?
It's even hotter. The electronics and lighting throw off a ton of heat as well. The highest I've seen was 108*. Yes it absolutely sucks. Especially when you keep the airplane for several legs. The Airbus wasn't bad because it would cool off quickly, but the 80 and 737 are absolutely miserable until you get up to cruise altitude.
nancypants and Spanish like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by gateH15
Do pilots have an AC just in cockpit while it’s off in the cabin?
when it is that hot I wonder how do they deal with it. And how come FAs are not complaining to unions about unsafe working conditions ?
No, we do not.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Message conveyed: "folks if you would please close your shades to ensure the cabin remains cool"

True meaning message: "folks if you would please close your shades to ensure the cabin remains cool because the captain/company is too cheap to hook up the a/c".
Do you know for a fact that airlines are responsible for paying additional fees to run a generator to provide A/C while the aircraft is at the gate? I would assume this is a sunk cost by the airline for whatever fee they pay the airport for operations. Most likely cause was an INOP generator, now whether or not AA chose to run the APU at the gate is a different story.

For ground truth, this is not unique to AA as I’ve sat on overly hot aircraft with multiple airlines, both US and foreign. In fact, it’s not unique to the airline industry. Most major hotel chains require motion and all doors/windows closed for the A/C to operate to save on energy, maintenance and of course money so there’s no reason to target AA in this particular instance.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by olouie

There is no PDB in first anymore =p. So it’s the same as BE!
"Once aboard the aircraft, all passengers share the same great inflight experience!"

Thanks, AA.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by saunders111
"Once aboard the aircraft, all passengers share the same great inflight experience!"

Thanks, AA.
Easy new CC pitch - "We need at least 10 people to fill out a credit card application before we will turn on the A/C"
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This has been an issue at DCA for a few summers now. I think its a mix of ground crews not having a checklist (or not following), the ground AC units being broken (aka MWAA's problem), and obviously, not wanting to run the APUs... although all airlines do this. Can't recall exactly, but pretty sure Delta has a reminder on the exterior Gate signs at ATL, 'HOOK UP, TURN OFF APU.'

Do Pilots need to flip any switches in the cockpit in order for the plane to use ground AC?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Sitting on the tarmac after pushback with no a/c on. Must be 110 in this cabin.

Hold on pilot just came on the horn. Suspect he’s going to tell us once we get up it will be cooler.

“Ah folks we have a light that came on in the cockpit. We are going to try to find a gate to go back to and get a mechanic to look at it “.

Bravo AA! Yet another weekly flight delayed to mx.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by grapkoski
This has been an issue at DCA for a few summers now. I think its a mix of ground crews not having a checklist (or not following), the ground AC units being broken (aka MWAA's problem), and obviously, not wanting to run the APUs... although all airlines do this. Can't recall exactly, but pretty sure Delta has a reminder on the exterior Gate signs at ATL, 'HOOK UP, TURN OFF APU.'

Do Pilots need to flip any switches in the cockpit in order for the plane to use ground AC?
No, once plugged in it supplies air. Sorta.

So there are straight low pressure conditioning units at jetways and towed around by tug. You can also use the air start carts that normally supply high pressure air to start the engines, and they will run the packs as well, which would require turning the packs on.

However you are fighting ground grew hooking it up incorrectly and equipment issues that normally result in massive kinks in the line. Most of the conditioned air coming out of the units doesn't even get to the airplane. AA invested in ground start carts that actually run off an APU instead of diesel engines and they do an outstanding job, but they only have a handful at each hub.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Had this on a flight out of OKC today. Said APU was inop, but we didn't get good AC until takeoff. Also had it on flights to/from Mexico a few weeks back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.