Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Do you exercise your priority boarding when arriving late at the gate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you exercise your priority boarding when arriving late at the gate?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by Antarius
do you sit in F? Or MCE?

Or is that flaunting your privilege as others walk by too?
You don't think FAs serving PDBs to F passengers in glass cups while coach passengers are trying to pass through can be misconstrued as less than considerate by some? If you do think it is flaunting, then you think it should be exacerbated by elites effectively cutting general boarding folks waiting in a long line, regardless of how in line that is with the priority boarding policy?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyinggum
You don't think FAs serving PDBs to F passengers in glass cups while coach passengers are trying to pass through can be misconstrued as less than considerate by some? If you do think it is flaunting, then you think it should be exacerbated by elites effectively cutting general boarding folks waiting in a long line, regardless of how in line that is with the priority boarding policy?
Is serving F pax food while Y passengers get nothing flaunting it? Is passengers having to walk by J seats to the back flaunting it? What about MCE getting free drinks?

you're arbitrarily drawing a line here.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Is serving F pax food while Y passengers get nothing flaunting it? Is passengers having to walk by J seats to the back flaunting it? What about MCE getting free drinks?

you're arbitrarily drawing a line here.
The point is you have a choice as an elite. Depending on the context/situation, how many of the "privileges" you choose to exercise can be considered annoying to downright inconsiderate. Why do you think there's a curtain drawn when FAs are serving F passengers?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Absolutely. It's a useful perk!
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I do it all the time, I don't even pause at the priority line waiting to be called, I go straight through to the BP scan. I had a kettle say something once on UA but I forgive them, they don't know any better, I don't have time to educate them.....
Gig103 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
No one here is saying it's against the policy. It's about having manners and being empathetic of fellow travelers. Also the analogy of priority lane at a bag check-in counter is not quite tenable since there is usually only one GA vs several counter agents. Not to mention priority check-in booths are often separated from the main cabin ones instead of being side-to-side.
They aren't my "fellow passengers". They aren't my peers. I am someone who travels a lot more frequently on AA than most people on the plane. It's called status for a reason. It's a perk that is earned. I've been in plenty of boarding situations where there are dual agents scanning tickets. I've been in plenty of airports where check in agents are handling both lines.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:50 pm

Two words: Every time.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
They aren't my "fellow passengers". They aren't my peers. I am someone who travels a lot more frequently on AA than most people on the plane. It's called status for a reason. It's a perk that is earned.
SIR YES SIR. lol brutal
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
No - but I usually check my bag and don't care too much about boarding early. If I had a carry on I'd do it if I arrived to the gate late to avoid a gate check.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfinsocal
No - but I usually check my bag and don't care too much about boarding early. If I had a carry on I'd do it if I arrived to the gate late to avoid a gate check.
for what it's worth, this is the only time I'd consider using the priority lane when general groups are being called: when I have a carry-on that requires an overhead bin while seated in Y.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
for what it's worth, this is the only time I'd consider using the priority lane when geneal groups are being called: when I have a carry-on that requires an overhead bin while seated in Y.
Why is this circumstance different?

FTR,
1. I also usually board last, so this rarely applies to me. Just am curious about the thought process
2. There is a big difference between using benefits one is entitled to and being a dick about things. No one is condoning the latter.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
You don't think FAs serving PDBs to F passengers in glass cups while coach passengers are trying to pass through can be misconstrued as less than considerate by some?
Since when does AA serve PBDs in glass cups?

This is a bizarre thread....
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: QF WP
for what it's worth, this is the only time I'd consider using the priority lane when general groups are being called: when I have a carry-on that requires an overhead bin while seated in Y.
so it’s douchey but it’s acceptable if you need the bin space?

righty-o
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
The point is you have a choice as an elite. Depending on the context/situation, how many of the "privileges" you choose to exercise can be considered annoying to downright inconsiderate.
Nothing inherently inconsiderate about choosing to use privileges to which one is entitled. That could certainly be annoying to some, but then again some people will be annoyed by any sort of privilege that only other people have.

Calling the exercising of the privilege itself douchey is inconsiderate. Think about it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I do, SOMETIMES. I'm Canadian and by nature a little passive. I never show up to the gate early, unless I'm flying like a J/F product I've never flown before. If I'm in Y (which I usually am) and I have my full sized carry-on and a backpack (which I usually do) I will totally skip the line. But my passiveness takes hold sometimes. If I arrive at the gate and there's no OBVIOUS priority line, I won't try and cut. I often don't travel with my status on my BP as well, so I usually have my card at the ready in case they ask, but they never do. When it's a bit of a chaos scenario and there's no priority line (I can't think of any examples specifically, but you know what I mean, it happens all the time) then I just join the line and hope for the best overhead space wise. I'm never really against checking my carry on unless I'm making a tight connection on a separate ticket. But I absolutely can't bring myself to try and cut a line, even if I'm rightfully entitled, if it's not clearly marked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.