Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cancelled an industry-worst 7,500 flights this summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA cancelled an industry-worst 7,500 flights this summer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Navig8R
AA Board: "OK, great, so it can't get any worse then."

Dougie: "Hold my beer..."
Right on cue! Five hours after this post, my SAN-CLT flight (AA1936) was cancelled. The twist though is that the flight was cancelled after we were completely boarded, the pilot came on the PA and informed us that there was a mechanical issue that they were just made aware of and that the flight would be cancelled. The inbound had just arrived from Philly at 9:52PM and we boarded subsequently after for what would've been an on time departure.

The odd part is that leading up to the cancellation, the pilot showed the FA's his phone and said "Look at this," and pulled them into the jetway out of the view of the passengers to discuss. I find it hard to believe that this would be a mechanical issue and something more related to an operational issue (shocker), but I'm only speculating. Anyone with access to EF mind taking a look at this flight for me? Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Hope you at least claimed your EU compensation for the delay, since it was originally due to a mechanical in BCN and counts until they get you to your final destination, not first US stop.
Alas, the eu261 compensation only kicks in at 3+ hours (where it is € 300 for a delay of 3-4 hours), so we get € 600 for Monday's MX cancellation (and day delay) but nothing for the second day's issues other than we were supposed to get meal/drink vouchers, which they did not provide. That said, we had just enough time to make our connection in PHL to DFW (although they failed to get our bags to us) and as such got in on our rechedualed flights only 20 minutes late. As such no compensation for the second set of flights.

I posted photos of the AA ec261 brochure here.... https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31290468-post1013.html it summarizes the rules.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I think the banking strategy is something that AA operationally just can't handle, even when the weather is good. Many sunny and beautiful days at MIA and people with a 45-60 minute connection (often to the only flight that night to SA) get screwed while the a/c sits off the tarmac waiting for a gate. Little do these people know they're not going anywhere until the next day and they will be spending either a sleepless night at MIA or have to scrounge for an expensive hotel room. Yes we know you should go for the longer connection but these are the unsuspecting people that think 30 minutes is more than enough time to deplane, go to the bathroom, get refreshments and make it to the gate for their connection.
Part of the Problem is AA. A perfect example of this was when AA cancelled the first flight of our trip (clearly MAX related, cancellation was 3 days before the flight) and while we live in San Francisco, and were booked OAK-DFW-CDG, they put us onto a flight from SJC (a 1.5 hour drive at that time of day) with a 52 minute connection to the last flight of the day. Sorry, 52 minutes is NOT enough time to make a domestic to International connection at DFW with luggage. Yet it took some real screaming at AA to get them to put us on the flight they should have moved us to SFO-DFW, which gave one hour and 30 minute connection. still tight, but doable.

AA's systems do a lot of this screwing over people, its almost like they want the churn so they can then sell last minute seats as people wait for IRROPs recovery.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Navig8R
Right on cue! Five hours after this post, my SAN-CLT flight (AA1936) was cancelled. The twist though is that the flight was cancelled after we were completely boarded, the pilot came on the PA and informed us that there was a mechanical issue that they were just made aware of and that the flight would be cancelled. The inbound had just arrived from Philly at 9:52PM and we boarded subsequently after for what would've been an on time departure.

The odd part is that leading up to the cancellation, the pilot showed the FA's his phone and said "Look at this," and pulled them into the jetway out of the view of the passengers to discuss. I find it hard to believe that this would be a mechanical issue and something more related to an operational issue (shocker), but I'm only speculating. Anyone with access to EF mind taking a look at this flight for me? Thanks
From EF
☨DTE CHNG FLT☨ ORIG 10JUL
SAN 1032P T2 29
CLT ☨ B B12 614A
1FX CANCEL SAN -CLT -XOP *0055
7SAN/AUTO REACCOM CXL FLT COMPLETED SEE N*P1AA1936SAN10JUL *0139*CRCYMG
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by spin88
Part of the Problem is AA. A perfect example of this was when AA cancelled the first flight of our trip (clearly MAX related, cancellation was 3 days before the flight)
How was cancellation 3 days before the flight "clearly MAX related"?

AA's systems do a lot of this screwing over people, its almost like they want the churn so they can then sell last minute seats as people wait for IRROPs recovery.
If true, then why does AA immediately inhibit overbooking when severe weather is forecast? Seems they could sell a lot more last minute seats if they didn't shut off the sale of last minute seats.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Mike Gilbert
From EF
☨DTE CHNG FLT☨ ORIG 10JUL
SAN 1032P T2 29
CLT ☨ B B12 614A
1FX CANCEL SAN -CLT -XOP *0055
7SAN/AUTO REACCOM CXL FLT COMPLETED SEE N*P1AA1936SAN10JUL *0139*CRCYMG
@mikegilbert, awesome, thank you! Although nothing jumps out to me as to why the flight was cancelled. It's typically spelled out when it's maintenance related. Need a decoder ring...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687

If true, then why does AA immediately inhibit overbooking when severe weather is forecast? Seems they could sell a lot more last minute seats if they didn't shut off the sale of last minute seats.
But they don't! During my multiple day fuster cluck on AA a few weeks ago, which I reported in a thread here, they had tickets available for sale throughout, simultaneously with not offering those seats to stranded passengers. This situation happened to me multiple times during the process of trying to get from DCA to ABQ! They might sometimes stop selling last minute tickets, but my experience is that this is NOT a universally applied policy.

saunders111
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
In June, American Airlines canceled about 4% of its scheduled flights, according to data tracker masFlight. American's canceled flight rate is twice the rate of Southwest (LUV), and is more than six times that of United Airlines (UAL), according to masFlight. It is nearly 20 times the cancellation rate at Delta (DAL).

That 4% doesn't count the 115 cancellations American has made every day because of the 737 Max grounding. Those flights weren't counted because they were already taken off the schedule weeks before the date they were originally scheduled.
Spiff, jordyn, saunders111 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by BOSishome
Another huge night of storms, delays, and cancellations at DFW... Thank God I wasn’t traveling.

Most of Dallas, Plano, and Frisco was unaffected in comparison, but man, those clouds were dark to the west.
Fort Worth (and the rest of Tarrant county) got it pretty bad. The lightning was wicked.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:13 pm

PHL and NYC's turn again for weather delays tonight.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Arrggg, I am on this same itinerary in month. Flight #700 to PHL has been hours late everyday for the past month, which will result in me missing the PHL-BCN leg. Coming back BCN-ORD-SFO. Trying to be proactive and printing out alternative routing's there at least.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by nova08
PHL and NYC's turn again for weather delays tonight.
Not to keep piling onto AA, but: DL had issued a weather waiver for this storm system 2 days ago because they actually have an in-house Meteorology team unlike AA.

As mentioned upthread, AA really needs to work on their dealing of weather. Thunderstorms are inevitable in the summertime. As a forecaster, I do agree that some weather events are easier to forecast than others, but to get as many people to their destination as quickly as possible should be AA's goal. It may not help with their cancel rate -- they need to care enough to have a more resilient operation.
wrp96 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
... they actually have an in-house Meteorology team unlike AA.
When did AA get rid of their in-house Meteorology team ?
I used to work in the room next door to them at the old operations facility (SOC). They were a sizeable group and right next to the Dispatch floor.
Of course that was years ago, way before the HP takeover. I've never been inside the new facility (IOC) but just assumed it was the same thing, only larger.
JonNYC, wrp96 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by steve64
When did AA get rid of their in-house Meteorology team ?
I used to work in the room next door to them at the old operations facility (SOC). They were a sizeable group and right next to the Dispatch floor.
Of course that was years ago, way before the HP takeover. I've never been inside the new facility (IOC) but just assumed it was the same thing, only larger.
To the best of my knowledge, AA still have Meteorologists in the IOC over in Fort-Worth, but they are contracted by AA from IBM/The Weather Company. I have nothing against IBM/The Weather Company, but I'm thinking there is some benefit to having your own Met. staff... Or there's some other reason DL consistently has better weather planning.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
How was cancellation 3 days before the flight "clearly MAX related"?
The route has taken a beating since the MAX grounding, and now they are announcing it as suspended because of the MAX, so it's a reasonable inference https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...max-grounding/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.