Search

Award Travel books into Y?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum
Award Travel books into Y?

First time posting, please forgive if this has already been answered somewhere else

I just called AA because a trip that had been booked for me into the Y fare class wasn't showing the ability to request an upgrade using 500-mile upgrades. All flights are domestic and less than 1000 mi, so I thought I would be able to put in the request. The AAgent told me that it couldn't be upgraded because it was award travel, but I was under the impression that Y was paid, full-fare economy.
Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I thought only EXP and CK get upgrades on awards.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
AAnytime awards in Main Cabin plus some Economy Web Specials will book into Y.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

I'm pretty sure that's true (although I can't speak from experience lol)
The issue is that it isn't an award- it's a flexible, paid ticket (I think since it's in Y), but they're telling me that it's award so they can't upgrade it

--- edit
DigitalDemographic let me know that I am wrong
Not sure how to delete this though

Last edited by wk989; Jul 9, 2019 at 3:06 pm Reason: I was wrong and am not sure how to delete
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Oh ok thank you! I didn't know that
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by wk989
First time posting, please forgive if this has already been answered somewhere else

I just called AA because a trip that had been booked for me into the Y fare class wasn't showing the ability to request an upgrade using 500-mile upgrades. All flights are domestic and less than 1000 mi, so I thought I would be able to put in the request. The AAgent told me that it couldn't be upgraded because it was award travel, but I was under the impression that Y was paid, full-fare economy.
Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Concierge Key and Executive Platinum members can request courtesy upgrades on AAdvantage award tickets; others can not.

Economy awards do not book into Y fares; they book into T fare class.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:07 pm

I'm pretty sure that's true (although I can't speak from experience lol)
The issue is that it isn't an award- it's a flexible, paid ticket (I think since it's in Y), but they're telling me that it's award so they can't upgrade it

--- edit
DigitalDemographic let me know that I am wrong
Not sure how to delete this though
Wait, who did you pay?
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skunker
Wait, who did you pay?
​​​​​​
A family member booked the ticket for me- just wasn't sure what was going on with it and didn't want to bore them with asking about fare class
Really more concerned with EQM for making platinum than the actual upgrade as it's a short flight though

Last edited by wk989; Jul 9, 2019 at 3:10 pm Reason: Add quote
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Concierge Key and Executive Platinum members can request courtesy upgrades on AAdvantage award tickets; others can not.

Economy awards do not book into Y fares; they book into T fare class.
Only sAAver economy awards book into T, other kinds of economy awards can book into Y.

​​​​​​
A family member booked the ticket for me- just wasn't sure what was going on with it and didn't want to bore them with asking about fare class
Really more concerned with EQM for making platinum than the actual upgrade as it's a short flight though
Youll have to get that family member to tell you whether they used miles or paid cash for the ticket. Sounds like they used miles. If so, you wouldn’t receive mileage credit or upgrades.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA
Sounds like your relative is violating a serious AA rule
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TaiwanIndependence
Sounds like your relative is violating a serious AA rule
How so?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

I didn't pay them- they booked it for me and paid (either with their miles or $, not sure). I don't think there's a rule against that but not sure?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:26 pm

I didn't pay them- they booked it for me and paid (either with their miles or $, not sure). I don't think there's a rule against that but not sure?
It's not. You'll be fine.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:27 pm

Is it that they indeed paid in miles...rather than dollars?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
You're fine if someone pays for your ticket. But if they used miles you will not get your EQM or EQD for status that you mentioned.
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.