Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA FAs tell doctor her clothing is offensive, must cover self with blanket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FAs tell doctor her clothing is offensive, must cover self with blanket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:12 pm

I wish the USA would get over its overuse of confusing euphemisms. Everyone has a size, so why not just say fat (same number of letters, fewer syllables) or obese ( few more letters) when that is what you are intending ton convey?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jaymar01
American Airlines made a doctor wrap a blanket around herself because a flight attendant found her summer outfit 'inappropriate'

- A Houston-area doctor said she was forced to get off her American Airlines flight after boarding and wrap an airline blanket around her waist before being allowed back on.

- She said a flight attendant told her that her outfit was unacceptable; however, she tweeted photos showing that the outfit was appropriate.

- American Airlines prohibits "offensive clothing," but otherwise does not publish a dress code for flights.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...oarding-2019-7
We have no way of knowing if the pictures she posted match the way she was wearing the clothing at the time in question
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shimps1
Get over yourself. Not a single person is calling her a piece of ****, you are projecting that definition yourself. POS is a perfectly appropriate and legitimate term, it only has the unfortunate coincidence to be the same abbreviation for the other 3 words. You are making something out of nothing, and it is a legitimate problem in modern society, where people get more worked up about word choice than about the actual subject of the conversation. Don't add to it.

I guess I should also stop calling my friend Richard, Dick, just because it also is the slang for male genitalia.

I think you need to broaden your world view.
Or maybe you can convince the banking system in China that Chinese pig isn’t actually offensive when talking about pork prices. @:-)

I think these subjective decisions about dress, odor, etc. need to be supported by at least 2 if not 3 crew members, to at least eliminate the rogue-employee-on-a-power-trip phenomenon.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by spin88
My OMNI guess is being Black was the bigger issue...
Must be nice to play that card constantly and get away with it. What race was the FA?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Pretty ugly and unflattering, but certainly not offensive.

[QUOTE=boerne;31283360] She is not a person of size, in my expert opinion, looking at the pictures. And yes I am an expert.[\QUOTE]

I'm curious as to the educational or professional credentials that makes one an expert in determining whether someone meets an undefined descriptive term.

Is there an ANSI/NIST/etc. standard for POS that we're not aware of?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Terrible outfit but I don't have an issue if she wants to wear it.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
She is fat. Person of size.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
The bottom of the outfit is shorts, so you aren't going to see any more when she sits down than when she stands up.

No plumber's crack, and personally, I find that much more offensive. I've never seen an FA ask a guy with droopy jeans and plumber's crack to wear a blanket, but I wish they would.
I wasn’t thinking of “plumber’s crack.”
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by enviroian
Is her argument that because she’s a POS she’s being discriminated against vs slim women who look good in such revealing clothes?
Fat shaming again? Whether she’s petite, tall, skinny or chubby, there was nothing wrong with her outfit.
closecover and DutchessPDX like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by JetAway

I wasn’t thinking of “plumber’s crack.”
I saw nothing offensive about her outfit, certainly nothing demanding a cover-up.

Plumber's crack and hairy pits with wife beaters - now I'd like to see those covered up.
GUWonder and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was flying the other day and some fat dude showed up in a worn-out wifebeater, basketball shorts leaving his pink (actually pink!) sore-ridden Steve King melon calves exposed, and flip flops. Didn't get a second look from any FA. But a hell of lot of people were clearly hoping he just kept walking down the aisle as he approached their row...
Guess us white guys really get a hall pass on the appropriate clothing thing.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
The passenger said she was calm.

The actual story is better than a plausible alternative where there's a confrontation and arrest. The kid gets sent to the local child protective services. The mother ends up bloody. She sues and settles for a large amount.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Well I say she's not dressed any differently than many other paxs you see on flights. But again if she boarded a flight 40 years ago she'd get plenty of stares.
This. I've seen much worse.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by SJWarrior

Must be nice to play that card constantly and get away with it. What race was the FA?
African-american, but the news doesn't tell people that because it doesn't make a good race-baiting story.

Originally Posted by boerne
While POS may be used in the airline industry in some areas, it is a really extremely unfortunate choice, and quite frankly a stupid choice IMO. She is not a person of size, in my expert opinion, looking at the pictures. And yes I am an expert.
Umm what? Just looking at the pictures it's pretty clear she's a BMI of at least 35, possibly pushing 40, which yes, is a person of size.
enviroian and bmw745ion19s like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Is it possible that the outfit she was wearing didn't quite go as high and finish quite as low when the FA questioned its appropriateness, compared to when she took those selfies?
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.