Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safety Issues (What to do)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Safety Issues (What to do)

In less than a week, I have witnessed 2 safety incidents onboard AA flights.

1. A BWI-ORD flight on a 737. The flight attendants seemed to struggle with how to operate the video PA system. Upon starting the safety video (overhead screens), we got to the part showing the exits, and then the video stopped suddenly. The crew looked at each other, walked down the aisle saying “seat belts please” and nothing more. There was no attempt to restart the video or perform the briefing manually. Essentially, half of the mandated safety instructions were not presented to the flight.

2. At MDT, a passenger notified the gate agent that he forgot to remove some spare lithium batteries for his electric drill. The agent said “I don’t control that, only the TSA does”. She made a phone call, and then told the passenger, “don’t worry, the bag has already been loaded onto the plane”. He knew it was a problem, and asked them to bring him the batteries so he could put them in his carry on.

Both incidents jeopardize the safety of all on board. 1 with passengers possibly not knowing what to do in an emergency, and 2 if the batteries were to start a fire.

I wrote in about the first incident, and received a canned response that the info would be added to a database for review (I’ve seen that one before”.

What can and should be done about this?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Why not FAA/DOT if it's an obvious violation of safety regulations?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Why not FAA/DOT if it's an obvious violation of safety regulations?
Would anything actually come of that, or just “added to a database”? These are serious issues and I want to be sure something is done about this. In my note to AA, I even noted I don’t want anything except for assurance that this will be handled seriously, and perhaps some follow up regarding it
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by joepercussion1

Would anything actually come of that, or just “added to a database”? These are serious issues and I want to be sure something is done about this. In my note to AA, I even noted I don’t want anything except for assurance that this will be handled seriously, and perhaps some follow up regarding it
Notifying the FAA/DOT is likely to get more serous attention from AA.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
There's some NASA administered database you can report these things to (which I thought was ridiculous when another poster mentioned it before and I apologize to whomever that was &#128077 that is taken seriously if you really want to go that route. I have no idea the website or process though.
​​​​​
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Good news on number 2: AA had a manager meet the plane in Charlotte to investigate the battery in the bag. They were given the information of the passenger that had the battery so they could locate the bag and get more detailed information about the agent at the origin airport (as to what transpired).

This was definitely handled serious and with urgency. I had my doubts based on the initial reply, which seemed to just be putting in a database for review. Overall pleased with the response, but this never should have happened in the first place.
on-a-stick likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
for the safety video, I am sure , from what I have seen, no one ever pays attention... I always try too, just to appease the FA
for the second part.. who knows.. maybe it AA going for on time departues
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fotographer
for the safety video, I am sure , from what I have seen, no one ever pays attention... I always try too, just to appease the FA
for the second part.. who knows.. maybe it AA going for on time departues
I’m sure most frequent flyers don’t, but newbies probably do. At the end of it, it is the law for a safety demo to take place. We’ve seen way too many instances where passengers fail to follow instructions in an emergency (not wearing oxygen masks properly, bringing bags with them during and evacuation). Not doing the demo fully no only could make these issues worse, but could open AA up to huge liability if it wasn’t done, and something were to have happened.

Second issue - probably just laziness
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
#2 is a big deal, and I'd definitely write it up for the FAA. Whether or not they follow-up isn't for us to decide but it sounds more like blatant disregard for safety in the goal for D0, not even laziness.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Stay safe out there everybody, it's a big world, lots of planes, and some rebranded MAXes may try to sneak in soon...
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Number 1 would best be handled by writing AA customer service with the date and flight number. It will actually be gone over with the FA crew and noted in their HR files. When the video player malfunctioned, they are supposed to do a complete manual demo of the safety features of the aircraft (like they do on aircraft without video monitors). If you feel that the crew was particularly negligent, feel free to report it to the FAA (that's what they are there for), but please write a concise note to AA. Explain that the video demo malfunctioned early in the safety demo, they were unable to fix it, and did NOT do a manual safety demonstration.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
You can complain, but you can not sustain an argument about a violation of a rule nor an assessment of safety on your part..

Many so-called rules regarding passenger safety can be interpreted by the airline on a case by case basis (which they did)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Maybe OP could join with this thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...tive-card.html) and add to the class action...
ORDAAFlyer296 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Reports of possible safety violations go to the FAA. Consumer complaints go to DOT. I strongly encourage the OP to report any suspected safety violations to the FAA. The goal isn't to get compensation. The goal is to make sure that a safety culture is maintained. Aviation is safe precisely because of the OCD-like approach to safety. If the FAA thinks the report is trivial, the report will be ignored. I'm sure they get a lot of them. See something, say something.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
In less than a week, I have witnessed 2 safety incidents onboard AA flights. ... Both incidents jeopardize the safety of all on board.
But apparently not enough to cause you to switch flights, particularly on the second incident. One might reasonably ask whether you're more concerned with actual safety or with discovering and reporting rule infractions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.