Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MEX-LAX via DFW American Airlines In Aug, help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi flyertalk! I recently book a flight from lax to mexico, and have a layover in DFW. I’m flying on American Airlines and recently heard about the flight delays and cancellations. I don’t have enough time to lose a day on cancellations or delays. This is my first international trip, as well. Should I be worried anough to change my flight?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Justgotnickd
Hi flyertalk! I recently book a flight from lax to mexico, and have a layover in DFW. I’m flying on American Airlines and recently heard about the flight delays and cancellations. I don’t have enough time to lose a day on cancellations or delays. This is my first international trip, as well. Should I be worried anough to change my flight?
Also, I’m flying out in the beginning of August.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Justgotnickd
I am moving your thread to the American Airlines Forum. Please follow there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
All airlines have delays and cancellations from time to time. If you decide to make changes to your reservation you will likely have to pay a change fee.

If I were you I would stick with what you have, not worry about it, make any changes only if you encounter a delay/cancellation.

Keep an eye on the weather as you get close to your flight departure date. If there are any major weather systems you may be able to make free changes a day or so prior if the airline is concerned they will need to cancel a large number of flights.

Enjoy your trip to Mexico.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
DFW is AA's fortress hub. It's about the best possible place to be routed through in the event of interruptions IMHO.

You'll be fine.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
The most recent issue at DFW was an Air Traffic Control outage due to weather.
That is a rare event. The more flights you take, the greater your chances for a problem. Ideally, if you can find a nonstop, that would be best, but that usually costs more
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
You will be fine. Deep breaths and don't overthink it. Also, welcome to FT! Know that in the event of IRROPS/bad weather/delays/cancellations your American Airlines phone app will be your best friend. I agree with the comment on being at DFW (their biggest hub) during bad weather specifically. Don't be like the suckers that stand in line for hours only to be told "sorry, there's nothing we can do."

In the unlikely event your flight will be cancelled, you will be auto-booked on the next available flight. If you have to stay overnight, the Hyatt is not the worst place to sleep during a layover. If your flight is severely delayed, sometimes your app will book you on an earlier flight. That's why it's best to either buy trip insurance or put it on a credit card that has delay coverage as a benefit.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.