Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ? Is this the norm (baggage delivery times, meal options)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver

Just flew AA for the first time in a number of years. In coach SAN-CLT and First Class CLT-ORD-LAX.

There was one flight attendant on both flights that was excellent. PDB beverages were offered on both F flights.

It took over 30 minutes to get my luggage at CLT and I timed 46 minutes at LAX from the time we landed. Is this the norm for AA?
Also, the pre-book meal options were items I would not eat so ordered a kosher meal which was pretty bad. It turned out there were 3 options for lunch on the ORD-LAX flight none of which were listed to pre-order and I would have eaten 2 of the 3. Does this usually happen?

Was wondering if it usually takes so long ot get checked baggage and is that usual for meal options?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by holocker
Just flew AA for the first time in a number of years. In coach SAN-CLT and First Class CLT-ORD-LAX.

There was one flight attendant on both flights that was excellent. PDB beverages were offered on both F flights.

It took over 30 minutes to get my luggage at CLT and I timed 46 minutes at LAX from the time we landed. Is this the norm for AA?
Also, the pre-book meal options were items I would not eat so ordered a kosher meal which was pretty bad. It turned out there were 3 options for lunch on the ORD-LAX flight none of which were listed to pre-order and I would have eaten 2 of the 3. Does this usually happen?

Was wondering if it usually takes so long ot get checked baggage and is that usual for meal options?
I think many here would say that you are lucky that you were 2 for 2 on PDBs. That in and of itself, could be considered a win.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
PDB on two flights in a row is not the norm. Long luggage wait times do seem to be the norm. 30+ minutes in AUS is pretty normal. I try to avoid checking for that reason. It is unusual, in my experience, to have the actual catered meals differ from those on the preorder menu.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:48 pm

Highly airport dependent, as well as time of day and such (IRROPS).

MSP - bags maybe 10 minute wait, generally fairly consistent but not a big operation there.

ORD is a crapshoot - they may be waiting for me, or I could be waiting 30 minutes.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
30 minute wait time for luggage at CLT is the norm. I usually stop in the AC before heading down as I know it's a wait.

About 80% of all passengers landing at CLT are connecting, so I think the priority of the ground crew is to get the connecting luggage to the correct planes, but that is just a guess.
joeyE likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I think for any airline.. luggage times vary by airport and time of day.
at least I hope yours was not one the lasts bags out
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
LOL, never claim luggage in PHL if you don't like to wait. It is horrible
Uncle Nonny, dls25 and asnovici like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Stripe
Long luggage wait times do seem to be the norm. 30+ minutes in AUS is pretty normal. I try to avoid checking for that reason.
In the 3-1/2 years that I've lived in the Austin area and flown into AUS, I've never had to wait more than 20 minutes for my checked bag. I check a bag about half the time I fly. After I get off the aircraft, I use the restroom, go down the escalator, and often luggage is waiting or it is a short wait (maybe 5 minutes).
In fact, I can't remember the last time I've waited 30 minutes for luggage anywhere. Perhaps I'm just lucky.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ah, the FT extrapolation, e.g., "it took X for Y, therefore raising the question of whether this is the new norm for carrier Z."

The answer is no.

1. I can't recall when I have been denied a request for a PDB other than when operational circumstances don't permit, e.g. short departure or quick turn with galley occupied by caterer during boarding.
2. While there are occasions when bags can take 30 minutes, my experience at hubs and larger stations is 15-20 minutes with 10 minutes the form at small outstation.

Even my experience is hardly statistically significant.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by holocker
I timed 46 minutes at LAX from the time we landed.
Did you time how long you waited since you arrived at baggage claim?
AND
When was the last time you checked a bag with any airline? Was it any different?

20 mins wait since arriving at the belt seems reasonable to me on any airline.
And yes, wait time largely depends on airport/time of the day.
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.