Wiki Posts
Search

Even AA delay notifications are delayed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Even AA delay notifications are delayed

Okay, I realize that yesterday there were a lot of flights delayed/cancelled. But the performance of AA's push notifications is staggeringly bad. I get that they don't want to staff their call centers for the bad weather days, but why don't they have enough computer resources to deliver their notifications in a timely manner?

Example 1
Notice that I receive an push notification at 8:00 PM for a departure at 8:00 PM, and a notification at 8:01 PM for a departure at 7:45 PM. After a brief panic in the Admirals Club as people rushed the agent, I realized what happened - these are delayed delay notifications. The times match the original delays announced at round 7:00 - 7:11 PM, so these delay notifications are about 50-60 minutes late.

Example 2
And the previous time I was on this flight - it was originally delayed until 8:15 but the departure was pushed up to 7:45. The notification of the earlier departure came at 7:35 -- just 10 minutes before departure. I barely made this flight. According to FlightStats, the decision to push up the departure was posted at 7:20 (which is already pretty late at 25 minutes before departure) but the notification took another 15 minutes.

This is not an issue with just the app push notifications, as the text messages also seem to be delayed similar amounts. And the emails are even worse as some of the notifications don't even happen (in particular, I never received a pushed up departure notification).
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Who pays attention that that?

I monitor my connections, include incoming aircraft and tail numbers on flightstats.

If you wait until AA pushes info to kettles, you are a kettle.

IMO
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Who pays attention that that?

I monitor my connections, include incoming aircraft and tail numbers on flightstats.

If you wait until AA pushes info to kettles, you are a kettle.

IMO
Good point, but that's only useful when the delay is caused by incoming aircraft. In my two instances, the first was caused by the plane going mechanical and the replacement aircraft was going to come from an inbound flight or the hangar. It came from the hangar. The second was a weather delay where AA decided to move up the flight due to an opening in the weather.

Does FlightStats have push notifications? I'm constantly refreshing it but sometimes you need to be more productive while waiting out a delay.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I use Flight Aware which I have found to be the most accurate. I also love the "where's my plane now" function that let's me see not only the aircraft, but the weather between the aircraft and me. Waiting for AA to provide you with flight status updates is an exercise in futility...even on a maintenance delay.
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
I get notifications at correct times on my iPhone. Maybe an Android issue?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I use Flight Aware which I have found to be the most accurate. I also love the "where's my plane now" function that let's me see not only the aircraft, but the weather between the aircraft and me. Waiting for AA to provide you with flight status updates is an exercise in futility...even on a maintenance delay.
Agreed. I use Flight Aware for the most accurate location data, and Flight Stats for its accurate activity log (gate/runway times, aircraft and tail number). But when the delay is strictly operational and not due to a delayed inbound, AA is still the only source of information. I guess I expected more given how many people are constantly suggesting "sign up for notifications" or "use the app" in the posts about delayed/moved up flights.

Originally Posted by reeg2
I get notifications at correct times on my iPhone. Maybe an Android issue?
No, it is not Android related. iOS, text messages, and emails were all delayed. Again, I think this is only happening when there are significant system disruptions.

andrewstahl likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
I find the app notifications can be slow sometimes but the text messages with updates are always quite timely. Experiences this as recently as this afternokn with a delayed flight
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:43 am

Notification Came To Fitbit a Week Later

On the 23rd my flight from AMS to PHL was canceled. Last evening, I received a notification on my Fitbit about the cancellation (over a week late!). The text never came through to my associated phone, and what's odd is that, knowing I would likely not receive an international text, I did not enter that particular number under contact information (although I'm pretty sure it is in my AAdvantage account) but I submitted other numbers and emails where I would receive notifications. We were on 2 PNRs since we each booked with AAdvantage miles, and we received different notifications at various times. The email they sent him about a re-booked flight didn't come through until hours after that said flight was supposed to take off! Of course, all of this happened on a day where AA was so overloaded they weren't accepting calls, telling me to call back later and then hanging up on me!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:48 am

Sent Re-booking Email Even Though I Had Enough Time to Make Flight

Here's another recent story.

I was recently re-booked after my original flight was cancelled. One of my re-booked flights was delayed prior to take off with a mechanical issue. Thankfully, it was announced after a safety check the pilot could manually override the issue and we were cleared to fly. Our take off was delayed by a couple hours, but we didn’t arrive too far behind (although we waited at least 25 minutes upon arrival for someone to connect the sky bridge).

We were set to have a layover of over 3.5 hours in PHL. After the delay, it was around 2.5. Since we were in business class, we were at the front of the immigration and security lines and our priority bags came through quickly. There was plenty of time to make our connection. But even before we took off, I started receiving Emails about our flight delay and that re-booking was available. I thought that was odd, given that we initially had nearly 4 hours and that an anticipated 30 minute to 1 hour delay would certainly not cause us to miss the connecting flight.

Are those emails standard?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:55 pm

They have a horrible horrible IT system.

They can't even manage to get departures in sync with late arrivals.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by chfenton
They can't even manage to get departures in sync with late arrivals.
This is typical and I think they consider it a feature.

​​​​​
GrumpyYoungMan and GWFan like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
If their delay notifications are gonna be delayed, I expect at least to get a notification about that...Obviously that will also be late to arrive, but it is just common courtesy...
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:30 pm

When an incoming flight is delayed, there is the chance that a different aircraft will be substituted in. It has happened (although I find it rare with AA). But that could be why, even though the incoming flight is delayed, they do not update the scheduled departure time.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
This is typical and I think they consider it a feature.

​​​​​
yeah I've had this happen numerous times, the "feature" in question is described as deny any delay until the last possible minute, then regardless of what the actual delay will be just add 15 minutes, repeat as needed. I'm sure if you asked AA they would claim that customers told them they really like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
When an incoming flight is delayed, there is the chance that a different aircraft will be substituted in. It has happened (although I find it rare with AA). But that could be why, even though the incoming flight is delayed, they do not update the scheduled departure time.
rare is an understatement, even at hubs and it happens at outstations a lot. Something tells me that Myrtle Beach doesn't have loads of spare AA airplanes just chillin on standby to be swapped out and AA4589 left at 7:13PM, one hour late after the inbound arrived at 6:08PM.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.