Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hypothetical Crazy Reroute...Possible? (JFK-LHR-AUS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K

I was flying JFK-AUS on 6/20 and when the travel alert was issued the day before (thunderstorms) I began researching what options I might have available. Almost all of them (on AA/partners) would have been through LAX the next day, arriving in AUS in the mid-late evening. I then looked at availability to LHR, and then onward to AUS on the BA flight, and that would have netted a 4:15 pm arrival into AUS - the earliest possible arrival. Luckily, my flight operated as scheduled with no delays and this became a non-issue. I am curious, however, if this kind of reroute would have even been allowed. I'm an Admiral's Club member and I'm platinum pro, so those two factors might affect the actuality of this being possible. For the record, I did have my passport with me (That BA flight to/from LHR almost always has a couple of seats - though usually premium cabins) along with my paper voucher from a previous VDB and a reasonable amount of miles if I would have been able to use them to go Y->J or Y->PE or any of those options. The biggest bottleneck I have found traveling this summer and experiencing the IRROPS from all the weather so far is getting into/out of Austin, there's just not very many seats available and one cancellation can easily eat them all up.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by MikeShores
I am curious, however, if this kind of reroute would have even been allowed.
No.

I'm an Admiral's Club member
Still no.

and I'm platinum pro
Most definitely still no.
sam2k2002, JDiver, asf-07 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
I can't say I've ever heard of a reroute on a domestic-only itinerary to a international routing. On an itinerary that is already international, more crazy things are possible.

Craziest I've every been offered is when flying business class AF CDG-AMS / DL AMS-SEA and the CDG-AMS had a mechanical problem, AF proposed a reroute of AF CDG-NRT / DL HND-SEA as the fastest way to get back to Seattle. I declined that and flew DL CDG-SEA nonstop the next day.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
on a side note.. many many years ago, I needed to get to LAX from ATL. for some reason the fares at that time were over $1200 rt
found the following for under $700 , and much to the annoyance of my wife took it.
ATL to LHR to LAX to LHR to ATL... I know call me crazy, but got a few miles out of that one..
GTITAN, GWFan, catmndu and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
If both segments are on BA, then this would be cabotage. Try to price that itinerary on a single ticket; I suspect you can’t. Not without a stopover in LON.
lbbzman, lowfareair and formeraa like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: AA - PLT Marriott: Silver
What you're describing would be a 6th freedom of air flight (cabotage). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that BA could route you US-UK-US on a through ticket, as they do not have the right to fly pax from US to US. I know this was an issue in the past with JAL (i think) issuing tickets GUM-NRT-US, which is technically US-Japan-US, for which they received fines IIRC. Don't think it matters if you have seperate tickets for each leg, but on a through ticket I doubt it would be possible to even book.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I had inquired about this a few weeks ago here as I was in a similar situation.

A few years ago, I got an IRROPS rebooking via MEX (USA-MEX-USA), however it sounds like that should not have happened.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:22 am

Cabotage applies to *selling* a ticket via a 2nd country.
In this case, the ticket was not sold via LHR so the itinerary would not fall under this heading.
Back when US was in Star, they happily issued me an award ticket YYZ-ORD-YVR since it wasn't a revenue ticket. No cabotage there.

However, that doesn't preclude the itinerary from not being issued because it's not a logical connection spot between those two airports.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by fotographer
on a side note.. many many years ago, I needed to get to LAX from ATL. for some reason the fares at that time were over $1200 rt
found the following for under $700 , and much to the annoyance of my wife took it.
ATL to LHR to LAX to LHR to ATL... I know call me crazy, but got a few miles out of that one..
"And $5000 worth of doctor's bills later, I could even use my legs again, too!"
GTITAN and Chiller3333 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by cedric
Cabotage applies to *selling* a ticket via a 2nd country.
In this case, the ticket was not sold via LHR so the itinerary would not fall under this heading.
no, US law for cabotage doesn't say ticket has to be sold

It just says that if someone/something is transported between two points in US by a foreign carrier
​​​​​​

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/19/122.165

You can buy two separate tickets that triggers cabotage. Award tickets isn't mentioned, but I would expect it to fall in scope too. If you did JFK-LHR(AA) and LHR-LAX(BA), it doesn't count as cabotage
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency.../cabotage.html

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...-cabotage-laws

​Those "straightforward cases" could include:

• Continuous transportation, including short stopovers that are incidental to or otherwise do not break the continuity of the trip.

• Transportation conducted pursuant to a single ticket.

• A carrier or its agents knowingly selling two tickets covering cabotage service.
​​​​​​
catawba likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 21, 2019 at 10:49 am
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TexasAussie
What you're describing would be a 6th freedom of air flight (cabotage). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that BA could route you US-UK-US on a through ticket, as they do not have the right to fly pax from US to US. I know this was an issue in the past with JAL (i think) issuing tickets GUM-NRT-US, which is technically US-Japan-US, for which they received fines IIRC. Don't think it matters if you have seperate tickets for each leg, but on a through ticket I doubt it would be possible to even book.
But AA flies JFK-LHR too.
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Hmmm

"Those "straightforward cases" could include:

• Continuous transportation, including short stopovers that are incidental to or otherwise do not break the continuity of the trip."

Isn't that also called a mileage run ....
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius

A few years ago, I got an IRROPS rebooking via MEX (USA-MEX-USA), however it sounds like that should not have happened.
Haha, definitely should not have happened, but very nice!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:25 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

A few years ago, I was going somewhere (don't remember the details)-PHL-YYZ. PHL-YYZ was cancelled for MX and no seats available the rest of the day. We were trying to piece something together to go PHL-ROC or BUF. The Admirals Club agents in PHL were convinced that I couldn't change an international ticket to domestic, even in IRROPS. After discussing with everyone there, and making a call or two, they finally agreed to reissue the ticket to BUF. So I'm guessing you'd have even more pushback going from domestic->int'l, even for a connection.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius

Was it with AA? If so, no issue aside for a kind of wild rerouting. As AA is a US carrier, it would not be considered cabotage. And in the case of the OP, if somehow they "allowed" JFK-LHR-AUS, and the first segment was on AA, there shouldn't be a issue from a cabotage perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.