Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is AA safe? Do US airlines really endanger passengers to save money?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AA safe? Do US airlines really endanger passengers to save money?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by JDiver
As to the 3M8, it’s useful to note AA bought them with both the “optional safety extra” angle of attack indicator in the primary flight display and the AoA disagree warning - the only airline in the US that did so, and at best one of a handful of airlines worldwide that did so. (Southwest purchased the AoA disagree warning, but it turns out Boeing didn’t tell them it couldn’t work without the AoA display.)
Opening this thread, I honestly thought it would be about the the AoA disagree warning vs AoA display issue forgetting whether it was WN or AA that did not buy the full kit. While Southwest has an incredibly impressive safety record, I'd love to read a book comparing safety and maintenance strategies of different airlines in the US.

As a codicil, I've been fortunate to be among the groups of FlyerTalkers invited to United Family Day at their SFO world repair headquarters, and after having met probably a dozen people working on UA planes I feel incredibly safe flying that airline. As one person put it, there is no way knowing that his kids, parents, partner or those of his teammates would not be on that plane sometime soon so he had better work as though it was he keeping loved ones safe. Now I've lived in Hong Kong, have friends who work at Cathay, and can't imagine that they would not take the same professional approach to their work, even if for a different airline.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Opening this thread, I honestly thought it would be about the the AoA disagree warning vs AoA display issue forgetting whether it was WN or AA that did not buy the full kit....
For the record, AA is the USA airline that DID buy "the full kit". I don't think UA bought any part of the kit. I can't speak for WN.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by steve64
For the record, AA is the USA airline that DID buy "the full kit". I don't think UA bought any part of the kit. I can't speak for WN.
WN was astute enough to buy the AoA disagree warning, Boeing was sleazy enough, apparently, that they failed to inform WN over three years the disagree warning was inoperable unless the AoA indicator for the primary flight display too. (Of US airlines, AA was the only one that was protected from the AoA fault, though WN intended to - but Boeing was intending to notify WN next year. )

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Boeing Co learned that a cockpit warning light on its 737 MAX jetliner was defective in 2017 but decided to defer fixing it until 2020, U.S. lawmakers said on Friday.

The defective warning light alerts pilots when two sensors that measure the angle between the airflow and the wing disagree. Faulty “angle of attack” data is suspected of playing a role in two deadly crashes involving Boeing’s best-selling 737 MAX in Indonesia in October and in Ethiopia in March.

Boeing delayed fix of defective 737 MAX warning light for three years: U.S. lawmakers by Eric M. Johnson, 7 Jun 2019, Reuters - link
I’ve stated before I believe they’ll get the MAX recertificated and it’ll be safe. But I’ve also said this is a warning bell there has been something inherently defective with the Boeing culture - nobody stepped forward to object to the half-baked defectuous MCAS, or this? I’m a nobody passenger, but I believe CEO Dennis Muilenburg should step down and a public effort lead by credible people should outline and implement a cultural change. Right now, in my opinion, I see him more as Dennis a Menace than the leader who will take Boeing to its best future.

Hopefully, the Board and shareholders see that saving airlines $80k per aircraft by convincing them MCAS was ready even as they were drafting modifications and that the AoA indicator and disagree warnings were merely optional frippery for nervous pilots is likely to end up costing Boeing billions of dollars.
steve64 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
This is Union crybaby and propagation whining. I am not concerned about safety at AA
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
If anything, AA planes should be safer since the mechanics union is forcing them to fix every little problem.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I spend about half my year in countries other than America where all facets of public transportation are a whole lot more dangerous than taking a flight on AA. I’ll take the odds - over 87,000 flights per day crossing the USA in 2018 and one fatality on a Southwest Flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.