FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is AA safe? Do US airlines really endanger passengers to save money?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:27 am
worldwidedreamer

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by JDiver
As to the 3M8, it’s useful to note AA bought them with both the “optional safety extra” angle of attack indicator in the primary flight display and the AoA disagree warning - the only airline in the US that did so, and at best one of a handful of airlines worldwide that did so. (Southwest purchased the AoA disagree warning, but it turns out Boeing didn’t tell them it couldn’t work without the AoA display.)
Opening this thread, I honestly thought it would be about the the AoA disagree warning vs AoA display issue forgetting whether it was WN or AA that did not buy the full kit. While Southwest has an incredibly impressive safety record, I'd love to read a book comparing safety and maintenance strategies of different airlines in the US.

As a codicil, I've been fortunate to be among the groups of FlyerTalkers invited to United Family Day at their SFO world repair headquarters, and after having met probably a dozen people working on UA planes I feel incredibly safe flying that airline. As one person put it, there is no way knowing that his kids, parents, partner or those of his teammates would not be on that plane sometime soon so he had better work as though it was he keeping loved ones safe. Now I've lived in Hong Kong, have friends who work at Cathay, and can't imagine that they would not take the same professional approach to their work, even if for a different airline.