Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight attendant fills overhead bin with personal items, rude to passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight attendant fills overhead bin with personal items, rude to passenger

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Well, there you have it.

its tough enough with captive markets and oligopolies, but, in this case, the choice is yours to keep enduring this behavior.
dont BA and AA have a JV on JFK-LHR where they split the revenue? So even if you move to BA, AA still ends up getting the same amount of $. So can't really "vote with your wallet" unless you move completely off OW.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
While no one has dibs on specific bins, many AA planes now have bins marked specifically for MCE passengers (bulkheads are MCE seating).
Which just signals that that's the MCE section. It does not say anywhere that those bins are exclusive for MCE pax.
With that same logic...F/J overhead bins are not marked as such, are they? then that means they are free for all?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Voldoo

A 3.5 year old child requires diapers? I'm asking in seriousness as I'm not a parent, but that seems a little old to me. And how many of them do you actual need for a single flight? I'm not sure why a 3.5 year old child would require any more hand-luggage than any other passenger.
Diapers were more for safety than necessity. Didn’t want to deal with major accidents on the plane since it’s hard to change a child’s entire outfit in a small onboard bathroom.

Regarding luggage quantity: snacks, books, toys, iPad, changes of clothes, two meals for the flight, towel and roll of paper towels in case child spills water on seat or neighboring passenger — it’s a long list and much more extensive than an adult generally needs on even a transatlantic flight. Small children have short attention spans and need a lot of distraction. A well-prepared parent makes neighboring passengers happy!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ryan182
dont BA and AA have a JV on JFK-LHR where they split the revenue? So even if you move to BA, AA still ends up getting the same amount of $. So can't really "vote with your wallet" unless you move completely off OW.
Life is good when you aren't captive to one alliance.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Which just signals that that's the MCE section. It does not say anywhere that those bins are exclusive for MCE pax.
With that same logic...F/J overhead bins are not marked as such, are they? then that means they are free for all?
The one's i've seen say they're reserved for MCE passengers.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
sure would be nice if we hadn't let all the airlines in this country merge down to a 3 airline cabal that can effectively fix rates and leave us with no viable options to turn to.
Spiff, iadisgreat, zld and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
That is horrible service from the AA FA. I have noticed how awful it is to fly AA these days. The staff all around is generally rude and not empathetic to paying passengers. Delta is a great alternative. While no airline is perfect, Delta FAs are generally friendly, helpful, and service oriented. It is too bad AA was allowed to merge as they have become awful in terms of customer service and their is not much choice as in the past.
delta passengers in my experiences were less pleasant to travel with and seemed more “working class” in their attire and demeanors than aa passengers especially in domestic F. I’ve also noticed that delta FAs seemed more attractive and younger in general though.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I have seen this happen many times. FA storing their luggage there but this has been always on Asian or middle eastern airlines that I travel. Every time, they have been polite and very accommodating and try to shift their stuff somewhere else. Even if it is filled with pillows or newspapers they try to shift it somewhere else. I feel it is the difference of standard of US carriers and certainly the Middle Eastern and Asian Airlines. That is why they are more successful as they treat passengers better most of the time.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
sure would be nice if we hadn't let all the airlines in this country merge down to a 3 airline cabal that can effectively fix rates and leave us with no viable options to turn to.
Somebody should have said something about four mergers ago, when we were hearing all that fraudulent garbage about "creating new options for customers," etc.

Originally Posted by dav662
I feel it is the difference of standard of US carriers and certainly the Middle Eastern and Asian Airlines. That is why they are more successful as they treat passengers better most of the time.
The Middle Eastern and Asian carriers are not firing 20+ 737s a day between LaGuardia and O'Hare, they are dispatching a smattering of widebodies on longhaul routes -- it is a little different business in a different operating sphere. That said they cultivate a high-touch service ethic that I think went out in the US with the Pan Am Stratocruisers.
Spiff, Dallas49er and zld like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
While no one has dibs on specific bins, many AA planes now have bins marked specifically for MCE passengers (bulkheads are MCE seating). That isn't the point here, though. The point is that FAs do claim entire bins as their own and they are often at the expense of the most valued customer (F/J,MCE). They are the first on and last off there. There's no reason their stuff can't be in the back. Or the middle. Filling the bins over the bulkhead is lazy,spiteful, or ignorant. Take your pick.
Lazy, spiteful, or ignorant? All of the above.

Originally Posted by salut0
The question is: does what FAs want have to trump good service to passengers? Also: no passenger in their right mind would “rummage through” an FA’s personal items or those of another passenger unless they wanted to risk being accused of stealing. I certainly wouldn’t do such a thing and that isn’t a reason to prioritize bin use for FAs over passengers.
I agree, but sadly, the ratio of right-minded passengers to all passengers is dropping like AA stock.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:45 pm

I have flown a lot on the short hauls on the Middle East and Asian airlines too. I mean even domestic on the A319s. It is still the same polite quality service. I stopped flying US carriers from the time they gave me a slice of pizza and a coke from LGW to MSP. They said thats all they have. It was of course in economy class but a firm ticket.
travelgeek1197 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I wish ME and Asian carriers would be allowed to fly intra US. I would fly them in a heartbeat.

We need more competition.
Spiff and Mendobrew like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:01 pm

Obviously they would not as they do not allow what is called Cabotage. Even now they are complaining that there are too many middle eastern airlines flying into USA and Canada. SQ does not fly into Canada because they have issues with the Canadian government on the Air Services Agreement between Canada and Singapore.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:27 pm

Some overhead bin spaces are designated spots for FA luggage as well as some spots behind and under seats.
Each FA position has a spot where they are supposed to store their bags, as listed in their manual.
The only place to really be able to store a carryon bag is in the overhead bin.
Each plane is different as well.
Whether the FA is abusing that storage is also a possibility.

Also, each airline do it differently.
Asian airlines tend to make their FAs check in their bags on international flights.

USA airlines do not make the FAs check in the luggage due to the high possibility of misconnects, reassignments etc.
TWA884 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Some overhead bin spaces are designated spots for FA luggage as well as some spots behind and under seats.
Each FA position has a spot where they are supposed to store their bags, as listed in their manual.
The only place to really be able to store a carryon bag is in the overhead bin.
Each plane is different as well.
Whether the FA is abusing that storage is also a possibility.

Also, each airline do it differently.
Asian airlines tend to make their FAs check in their bags on international flights.

USA airlines do not make the FAs check in the luggage due to the high possibility of misconnects, reassignments etc.
Gate check would be a nice compromise. Their bags would be there waiting for them on the jetway. They'd of course, get to keep a personal item with them on the plane. ; )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.