Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Cancelled, Downgraded to Y

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Flight Cancelled, Downgraded to Y

Flew PVG-DFW-LGA yesterday, upon arrival in DFW received an email my DFW-LGA flight was cancelled due to NYC storms. Ticket was in Business & First. AA Exec Plat agent wanted to put me on a flight the next day which didn't work for me so instead went to gate of another DFW-LGA AA flight and wait-listed and ended up with a middle seat in economy an hour later than my original flight. What recourse do i have for the cancellation and downgrade?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sniles
Flew PVG-DFW-LGA yesterday, upon arrival in DFW received an email my DFW-LGA flight was cancelled due to NYC storms. Ticket was in Business & First. AA Exec Plat agent wanted to put me on a flight the next day which didn't work for me so instead went to gate of another DFW-LGA AA flight and wait-listed and ended up with a middle seat in economy an hour later than my original flight. What recourse do i have for the cancellation and downgrade?
Since it was a weather cancellation there's not much you can do other than be thankful you made it home the same night and avoided an overnight at your expense at DFW.

That said, I would go to prefunds.aa.com and fill out a refund request. Just say your original flight was cancelled and you had a downgrade to Y on your connecting flight. You will most likely get a small refund for the difference from Y to J for the DFW-LGA segment.
ijgordon, KBMIFlyer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:51 am

AA will refund the difference, takes about a week in my experience.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Yeah, pretty lucky you were delayed only an hour. Question: were you downgraded before you were wait listed? It matters for SDFC. Wondering if it affected your ability to get a better seat.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate the replies, thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is due the fare difference. That will calculated based on the mileage as a percentage of the total flown, e.g. DFW-LGA as a percentage of PVG-LGA. Thus, a likely miniscule sum.

To be clear, OP was not downgraded. He accepted a voluntary reroute in Y and was absolutely entitled to wait for the first flight with F availability. Makes sense to have taken the steerage seat, but does not change the fact that thus was all voluntary,
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
OP is due the fare difference. That will calculated based on the mileage as a percentage of the total flown, e.g. DFW-LGA as a percentage of PVG-LGA. Thus, a likely miniscule sum.

To be clear, OP was not downgraded. He accepted a voluntary reroute in Y and was absolutely entitled to wait for the first flight with F availability. Makes sense to have taken the steerage seat, but does not change the fact that thus was all voluntary,
Correct!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Depends what you need more, the cash back or the EQMs as originally ticketed. They will credit Y EQMs, but the full ticket value for the EQDs. You can ask for the original routing credit for the EQMs but you can't also ask for the refund.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Stripe
Depends what you need more, the cash back or the EQMs as originally ticketed. They will credit Y EQMs, but the full ticket value for the EQDs. You can ask for the original routing credit for the EQMs but you can't also ask for the refund.
You're assuming the right hand (Refunds) knows what the left hand (AAdvantage Customer Service) is doing .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.