Flight Cancelled, Downgraded to Y

Reply

Old Jun 11, 19, 4:08 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: China
Posts: 809
Flight Cancelled, Downgraded to Y

Flew PVG-DFW-LGA yesterday, upon arrival in DFW received an email my DFW-LGA flight was cancelled due to NYC storms. Ticket was in Business & First. AA Exec Plat agent wanted to put me on a flight the next day which didn't work for me so instead went to gate of another DFW-LGA AA flight and wait-listed and ended up with a middle seat in economy an hour later than my original flight. What recourse do i have for the cancellation and downgrade?
sniles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 4:33 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 5,505
Originally Posted by sniles View Post
Flew PVG-DFW-LGA yesterday, upon arrival in DFW received an email my DFW-LGA flight was cancelled due to NYC storms. Ticket was in Business & First. AA Exec Plat agent wanted to put me on a flight the next day which didn't work for me so instead went to gate of another DFW-LGA AA flight and wait-listed and ended up with a middle seat in economy an hour later than my original flight. What recourse do i have for the cancellation and downgrade?
Since it was a weather cancellation there's not much you can do other than be thankful you made it home the same night and avoided an overnight at your expense at DFW.

That said, I would go to prefunds.aa.com and fill out a refund request. Just say your original flight was cancelled and you had a downgrade to Y on your connecting flight. You will most likely get a small refund for the difference from Y to J for the DFW-LGA segment.
ijgordon, KBMIFlyer and wrp96 like this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 4:51 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: CLT
Posts: 49
AA will refund the difference, takes about a week in my experience.
BarrenLucidity is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 5:55 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Posts: 711
Yeah, pretty lucky you were delayed only an hour. Question: were you downgraded before you were wait listed? It matters for SDFC. Wondering if it affected your ability to get a better seat.
Uncle Nonny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 1:11 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: China
Posts: 809
Appreciate the replies, thanks.
sniles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 1:42 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 41,244
OP is due the fare difference. That will calculated based on the mileage as a percentage of the total flown, e.g. DFW-LGA as a percentage of PVG-LGA. Thus, a likely miniscule sum.

To be clear, OP was not downgraded. He accepted a voluntary reroute in Y and was absolutely entitled to wait for the first flight with F availability. Makes sense to have taken the steerage seat, but does not change the fact that thus was all voluntary,
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 2:59 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 9,850
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
OP is due the fare difference. That will calculated based on the mileage as a percentage of the total flown, e.g. DFW-LGA as a percentage of PVG-LGA. Thus, a likely miniscule sum.

To be clear, OP was not downgraded. He accepted a voluntary reroute in Y and was absolutely entitled to wait for the first flight with F availability. Makes sense to have taken the steerage seat, but does not change the fact that thus was all voluntary,
Correct!
formeraa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 3:11 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: AUS
Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Posts: 5,778
Depends what you need more, the cash back or the EQMs as originally ticketed. They will credit Y EQMs, but the full ticket value for the EQDs. You can ask for the original routing credit for the EQMs but you can't also ask for the refund.
Stripe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 3:20 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 5,505
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Depends what you need more, the cash back or the EQMs as originally ticketed. They will credit Y EQMs, but the full ticket value for the EQDs. You can ask for the original routing credit for the EQMs but you can't also ask for the refund.
You're assuming the right hand (Refunds) knows what the left hand (AAdvantage Customer Service) is doing .
JJeffrey is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread