Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Air Travel to Canada - Passport Less Than Six Months Validity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Hello All,

I had a work trip to Canada come up for later this month. I'll be going DCA-YYZ-DCA, most likely on AA.

The only concern is that my passport is set to expire in September of this year (so about 2.5 months of validity at time of travel). The Government of Canada only requires that a passport be unexpired upon entry to the country (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-document.html).

American Airlines on the other hand seems to have a blanket requirement that passports have six months of validity when used for international air travel (https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nal-travel.jsp).

Does anyone have any idea if AA will enforce six months even though Canada only requires the passport to be valid? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
The short answer to your question is the agent will look up the passport requirement in TIMATIC (covered in this thread: AA (specific) passport policy / policies (master thread)) and follow whatever the system tells them.

The long answer to your question is: why risk it? Given that you are in DC and can therefore go in person to get your passport renewed, why not just renew it now? A passport with less than 3 months validity is not particularly useful for most international travel.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Additionally since it's a work trip most employers should pay whatever expedite fees it takes to make sure you get it back in time.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I was unaware there was a walk up place in DC so I'll definitely look into that.

According to the TIMATIC database I should be ok. I'll probably just expedite renew for peace of mind though.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by slutide
According to the TIMATIC database I should be ok. I'll probably just expedite renew for peace of mind though.
Smart.

I set my iPhone to remind me a year before my passport expires, so I can get a new one at a convenient break in international travel.

ETA: same deal with drivers license, Global Entry, etc.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by slutide
Thanks for the information. I was unaware there was a walk up place in DC so I'll definitely look into that.

Also this being FT you never know when a great mileage run will become available!

FYI the same day renewal requires confirmed travel within 2 weeks of the date that you go. You can make an appointment prior to that time but the appointment itself must be within 2 weeks of travel. Otherwise they will tell you to do it by mail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.